none
Moderator Marks Own Answer As Correct!! RRS feed

Answers

• Moderators can mark their own answers as correct (and they don't get any points for doing so), especially when their answer was proposed by another forum member.  You also failed to state that two other members also had their replies marked as an answer as well.

As this is a training and certification forum and your question does not relate to training and certification, it will be moved to the Off-topic forum.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:20 AM
  • If the moderator's answer answers a particular question (as in the case you cited), then it's fair to the future readers that moderator marks all correct answers including his own. The OP of the thread can always unmark answers if he/she disagrees.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 2:42 PM

All replies

• Moderators can mark their own answers as correct (and they don't get any points for doing so), especially when their answer was proposed by another forum member.  You also failed to state that two other members also had their replies marked as an answer as well.

As this is a training and certification forum and your question does not relate to training and certification, it will be moved to the Off-topic forum.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:20 AM
  • I do not think that it's appropriate that any moderator can mark their own answer as correct.

May I please ask for a different moderator, other than yourself, to moderate this issue.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:46 AM
  • As you have concerns with moderator permissions, I will move your question to the Forums Issues (not product support) forum so that it can be addressed by the appropriate people.

I am quite happy to unmark my answer and leave the other two replies as answers as we're all saying the same thing and the answers provided address your original question.  I will however leave it as is for now so that I can't be accused of doing anything to hide your concerns.

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:58 AM
  • As I have already said, and you appear to have ignored, I will reply to the other issue when I have the time to do that matter justice.

Moderators marking their own answers is not a correct and proper course of action in any forum and, if that current practice is allowed under current forum rules, as you seem to indicate it is, those rules clearly need to be changed.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:52 AM
  • As I have already said, and you appear to have ignored, I will reply to the other issue when I have the time to do that matter justice.

Moderators marking their own answers is not a correct and proper course of action in any forum and, if that current practice is allowed under current forum rules, as you seem to indicate it is, those rules clearly need to be changed.

Hi Trip !

This issue has been discussed several times already in the forum, may be try to have a look at those earlier threads.

I will get back to you with more detailed explanation of why Moderator(s) are allowed to mark their own replies as "Answer". But first try out yourself to find the reason. I definitely want you to go through the threads and come up with some new points where you think it has been used wrongly by a Moderator and what we can do to avoid such instances.

Just don't come up with this sentence that restrict Moderator(s) from marking their own replies as "Answer". Try to put a reasoning behind it and also the case where you see it has been abused.

Thanks, Hasham

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:15 AM
  • If the moderator's answer answers a particular question (as in the case you cited), then it's fair to the future readers that moderator marks all correct answers including his own. The OP of the thread can always unmark answers if he/she disagrees.

My blog

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 2:42 PM
  • Realize I'm speaking generally here, not about this particular issue.

I agree with the system being broken at some level. The system is very 'authority based' instead of 'community based'. Authority driven systems are fine if the authority given is always completely justified and 'correct' and/or there is enough oversight in the system to correct mistakes. I don't think we have these things in our system today. Even a hint at opening the scope to enable the general user some (proposed answer) has became a huge point of contention among users.

Giving complete control over to the community to define value probably makes more sense. I still think there is a place for users of certain authority (or track record) to have relevance but I also think the system is way too closed today.

In this particular case

I don't like to see disagreements around answer marking. Without evaluating who's right or who is wrong, I would hope we all understand the goal of the system: to help people. I think if the OP rejects someone's response as an answer they should be able to do that. I can only speak for myself, but I would have to be hard pressed or know that I'm completely undeniably correct about something (not likely according to my wife) to trump the OPs removal of an answer (and then lock the thread). 

Community Forums Program Manager

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:24 PM
    Answerer
  • When I looked at this thread before, it was not locked. I don't think it's fair to lock this thread. 

My blog

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:27 PM
  • It was locked so that this can be sorted out without the forum Turing into a war of words.

With regards to marking/unmarking replies as answers, in this particular case the OP continues to unmark answers because they are not hearing what they want to hear. The study guide clearly states what can be included in an exam and the OP has been advised of this by three different forum members but they are unwilling to accept what is written in black and white.

As stated at the begging of this thread, I’m quite happy to unmark my answer and will do so.  I will also unlock the thread.

Jeff Wharton

• Edited by Mr. Wharty Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:26 PM
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:24 PM
  • This is exactly what I don't want happening on the forum

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:35 PM
  • Do you need advice on how to deal with that? Or are you simply including it as an example of trouble making? I'd actually like to have a 'timeout' feature implemented where if more than 3 people in a day (or some number) have a problem with someone they are read only for a couple of days or their rec points would go down. But I don't know if we'll ever get to that.

Community Forums Program Manager

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 11:43 PM
    Answerer
  • Both.  I need advice of what to do as the reply is not correct however I’m not prepared to enter into any discussion on the thread in question as I don’t want it hijacked. I also included it here as an example of what can happen.

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 11:50 PM
  • Both.  I need advice of what to do as the reply is not correct however I’m not prepared to enter into any discussion on the thread in question as I don’t want it hijacked. I also included it here as an example of what can happen.

Jeff Wharton

Looks like Horizon and other moderators helped! Excellent!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:27 AM
    Owner