AMD Cool n' Quiet support RRS feed

• Question

• I know there is an AMD driver that supports Windows 2003 Server.  Is there a way to set up power management of a WHS box so it will step down to a lower power state?

Drive spindown (which can be enabled) might solve part of the problem, but with the processor and fans using tons of power with nothing to do, this just gets wasteful (and loud...and hot)

Friday, March 9, 2007 6:29 PM

Answers

• I don't see any reason why installing the Cool'n'Quiet driver would cause a problem. C'n'Q is intended to reduce processor power consumption when the processor is lightly loaded. If the processor is heavily loaded, it will run at full speed. It's possible that the net power savings would be minimal, as Drive Extender seems to hit the processor pretty hard, but it wouldn't hurt to install it.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 2:22 AM
  • After hunting for a different answer, I found the answer to this.  You can get to control panel by using Start->Windows Explorer.

If you drill down to Control panel and select "Power options" and pick any power scheme other than the default, cool n' quiet will start working (my machine dropped to 1V and 1000Mhz immediately.  I tried to put a heavy load on it, to get it step up by opening a bunch of IE windows and got it to step up). 

So, in order to get it to work, you have to:

1) Install the AMD Cool n' Quiet Driver

2)enable a power management scheming, using the indirect path to Control panel.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 6:10 PM

All replies

• Have you tried the driver from the source?
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 12:15 AM
  • Gonzo,

I hate to respond with a non-answer, but if WHS is not always on, you will lose a lot of its benefits.  From what I understand about the design of WHS, it doesn't currently utilize power management.

Maybe the solution is to use server hardware that is not loud and hot.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 12:25 AM
  • I don't see any reason why installing the Cool'n'Quiet driver would cause a problem. C'n'Q is intended to reduce processor power consumption when the processor is lightly loaded. If the processor is heavily loaded, it will run at full speed. It's possible that the net power savings would be minimal, as Drive Extender seems to hit the processor pretty hard, but it wouldn't hurt to install it.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 2:22 AM
  • Well, I am using an Athlon 64 3200+, I installed the AMD driver for Server 2003, and Cool n' Quiet appears to be functioning correctly so far.

I haven't been able to confirm that the processor is actually slowing down under light load, but the fan speed monitor on my motherboard is turning the fan off periodically, which happened when the processor slowed down under Windows XP.

Any confirmation of official support for Cool n' Quiet in WHS would be wonderful. Since this is an "always on" device, any power saving features would be well appreciated!
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 12:05 PM
  • I installed the driver and the AMD monitoring software.  My WHS machine never drops to the low power state, even though the CPU usage never went over 5% over the time I checked.

If I recall correctly, the AMD driver only adds the CAPABILITY to use Cool n Quiet.  For XP, you need to enable power management and a power profile through control panel (at least that's the way it worked when I set my XP machine up about a year ago).

So, since there's no control panel in WHS, how (or can) I get to the power management?

For the WHS team, I think this would really be an EXCELLENT feature to enable and add power management (CPU power states, drive power down, etc.) to the management interface.  I think a lot of home users would appreciate the value of dropping their power usage and the noise of running a server.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 6:03 PM
  • After hunting for a different answer, I found the answer to this.  You can get to control panel by using Start->Windows Explorer.

If you drill down to Control panel and select "Power options" and pick any power scheme other than the default, cool n' quiet will start working (my machine dropped to 1V and 1000Mhz immediately.  I tried to put a heavy load on it, to get it step up by opening a bunch of IE windows and got it to step up). 

So, in order to get it to work, you have to:

1) Install the AMD Cool n' Quiet Driver

2)enable a power management scheming, using the indirect path to Control panel.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 6:10 PM
  • You can also get the control panel by opening the run dialog from the start menu and simply typing control panel into it.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 7:07 PM
  • I am using a third party tool to configure Cool 'n Quiet like abilities, since the powersceme's are still a bit to vague. The tool I am using is Rightmark's RM Clock Utility. I used it on a Windows XP machine in the past and it seems to work perfectly on the WHS server. With this tool you can make precise presets with processor speed and voltages. You should try and check it out.

To downthrottle your CPU really helps to keep the monthly costs down; my server now only uses 100 Watts in Idle mode and 160 Watts in full power mode with the following specs:

AMD Ahtlon 3000+
    Asus K8V Deluxe
    1GB DDR
    4 x 500GB Samsung SATA drives

Saturday, March 10, 2007 10:49 PM
  • I'm using just the drivers delivered to the MoBo I've bought, a ASUS M2N-MX. Be aware that C&Q is enabled in the BIOS (default). Load the processor driver on the WHS. I've also loaded the ASUS probe II, where voltages and speed of the processor is showed. Choose in the settings -> power options -> Server Balanced Processor Power and Performance. In ASUS probe you will see the voltage of the core is dropped down. In my case, an AMD Sempron 3400+ the core voltage was dropped from 1.41 to 1.15 V.

Unfortunaly, in ASUS probe I could not see the freqruency is reduced as well. In windows XP it is.

AMD Sempron 3400+

Asus M2N-MX

1GB DDR2 4200

2 x 160Gb Samsung SATA drives

Saturday, May 12, 2007 6:38 PM
  • Note.

During instal RC of WHS, I found out you have to install the drivers of the cpu as well. Only then the cool'n quite will work.

To the developers of RC: well done:

plus: installation will pass with two harddisks connected (in CTP installation failed: had to disconnect 1 disk)

plus: installation of cool'n quite will work without tricks (in CTP only asus probe II will work or third party software)

min: I had to install my (giga)network drivers of the M2N-MX manually. But it works.

Sunday, July 1, 2007 8:21 PM
  • I’m running RC on an Abit AN8 Ultra, 3200+ Venice, and 2 x 512MB of PC4000. I run a more or less mild overclock, 250MHz x 10 instead of the default 200MHz x 10. I did not install the Cool ‘n’ Quiet driver but it is enabled in BIOS. I set the Power Option to Server Balanced Processor Power and Performance and C’n’Q works perfectly. The system idles at 250 x 5 with a drop of about 0.30 volts in processor core voltage. It will do a surprising amount of work running 250 x 5; as the load increases I’ve seen 250 x 9 and 250 x 10. You can use CPU-Z to view the changes to Multiplier, Vcore, and Processor Core Speed as the system is running.

CPU-Z

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Monday, July 2, 2007 12:23 AM
  • There are three dependant factors to enable Cool'n'Quiet on any system:
    1. Enable CnQ in the BIOS
    2. Install the AMD CnQ driver
    3. Switch the power management mode in the control panel - I believe 'Minimal power management' is the recommended setting for desktop OS's
    I also then use an application called Speedfan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php) to automatically adjust the fan speeds dependant on how hot components are getting. For that to work you need to have motherboard support for adjusting fan speeds and fans that are directly connected to the 3-pin connector on the 'board - fans that also connect to the PSU to draw power typically cannot be adjusted.

I'm not able to fully test this on my WHS as my CPU fan (currently) is PSU-powered, but I've run up the applications and everything indicates it should work.
    Thursday, July 5, 2007 10:40 PM
  • ok so i have to driver installed and i have the following options available for me..

Home/Office Desk
    Portable/Laptop
    Presentation
    Always On
    Server Balanded Processor Power and Performance XXX = selecteded one..
    Max battery

Friday, July 6, 2007 11:19 AM
  • I selected 'Server Balanded Processor Power and Performance' and CnQ has kicked in - the CPU now runs at about 1Ghz instead of the normal 2.2Ghz when idle, ramping back up when anything interesting happens. I'm using CPUz to monitor the frequencies (link above)
    Friday, July 6, 2007 5:26 PM
  • In my opinion you have to do 4 staps to activate Cool and Quite:

1) Enable C'nQ in the Bios (already mentioned in forum)

2) Load the CPU drivers from AMD (not mentioned yet)

3) Load C'n'Q (already mentioned in forum)

4) Select in power options "Server Balanced Processor and Performance" (already menioned in forum)

If you skip item 2, C'nQ will be loaded, but the processor will not slow down. Anyway, this is what my experience was with an ASUS M2N-MX MB and a 3400+ Sempron processor.

Saturday, July 7, 2007 3:20 PM
  • A word of caution to those with an A8N-VM board with older BIOS.  Update before installing CPU drivers.  I ran into stability problems once I loaded the CPU drivers (which seem to launch C n Q automatically without any additional install).  The system gave me all kinds of problems until I updated to the latest stable BIOS (0702).  It is now running fine.

Prior to loading CPU driver with C&Q:
    Vcore: 1.49

CPU temp: 43c

Core speed: 2.2

After loading and setting power to "Server balanced.........":

Vcore: 1.18

CPU temp: 36c

Core speed: 1.0

Asus A8N-VM

AMD Athalon 64 3500+

Even if I don't save a penny on power, I'm very pleased to be running the CPU at 36c when idle, rather than the ~43c is used to run at.

Saturday, July 7, 2007 3:46 PM
  •  Harryx2005 wrote:

In my opinion you have to do 4 staps to activate Cool and Quite:

1) Enable C'nQ in the Bios (already mentioned in forum)

2) Load the CPU drivers from AMD (not mentioned yet)

3) Load C'n'Q (already mentioned in forum)

4) Select in power options "Server Balanced Processor and Performance" (already menioned in forum)

If you skip item 2, C'nQ will be loaded, but the processor will not slow down. Anyway, this is what my experience was with an ASUS M2N-MX MB and a 3400+ Sempron processor.

Sorry to nit-pick, but steps 2 and 3 are the same thing - the AMD CPU driver is the C'n'Q driver! For the Athlon 64 and X2 processors running XP/2003 (inc WHS), you can download it from http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/amdcpusetup.exe
    Saturday, July 7, 2007 5:37 PM
  • Hi KSanderson,

May be your right. But I had to do 2 things separatly. Because the utility disk of Asus didn't start automatically, I had to browse.

I had to say I already performed step 1 and 4.

Then I did install in the driver directory: Setup (step3). Cool and quite did appear but processor was not slow down.

Then I did perform Asussetup in the driver directory (step 2): a window was shown that the AMD CPU drivers were installed.: Cool and Quite showed the processor speed dropped down.

In CTP version, I only installed the processor drivers, the processorspeed dropped down but I could not install/start the Cool and Quite program (may  be that had another cause). I had to use "third party" software (which one I do not remember, it was somewhere mentioned on this forum), but that was in CTP. I did understand that at least some people had C'nQ working in CTP as well.

For this reason I think there are 4 steps, may be step 3 is not needed to start C'nQ but this is the step that starts the graphical interface you can see what your CPU is doning. Just installing the drivers of the CPU will not starts this graphical interface.

By the way: My home computer (XP Home, A8N, 4000+, socket 939) has also C'nQ and I had only to start the wizard to have C'nQ. I do not know which programms this wizard starts, but I think the programms I have mentioned in step 2 and 3.

Sunday, July 8, 2007 7:16 AM
  • Ah, now I understand - I'm afraid I don't know what your Asus CD installs but if you didn't have one, simply installing the CPU driver from the amd.com site would have worked, it sounds like Asus also gave you a utility to monitor the processor where I use CPUz.
    Sorry for the confusion, I didn't realise you were using a manufacturer's installation disk. I usually throw them away as I find the drivers are all out of date!
    Sunday, July 8, 2007 9:49 AM
  • No problem, it's now clear for everybody. And you're absolutly right that the drivers on the manufacturer's installation disk could be out of date. Therefore Asus provide an update utillity as well. But it's quicker to get the newest drivers from the internet.
    Sunday, July 8, 2007 9:56 AM
  • Well, I followed the 4 steps mentioned above, and did select 2 diff power settings in different boots/tries, but CnQ has not worked on my hardware...yet.

I'm going to double check and will post version info on the AMD drivers in question (all were latest and one-prior to latest) (via the AMD site and/or direct from my mobo's drivers site) if the failures continue.

So I'm just posting that I hope this ultimately works, since I think this is one of key features needed to rationalize a home server to anyone whose correctly aware of their electricity bills and sitting on the fence about how much a 7x24 device is worth.

Thanks

Monday, August 27, 2007 9:34 PM
  • Found the solution:

there's a missing step 5 for some hardware (at least my GA-MA69GM-S2H):

cold reboot (shutdown) and NOT just warm re-boots

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:47 AM