Hard drive missing. Moment of truth? RRS feed

• Question

• My Highpoint controller reports failure on a drive and disables it. WHS reports it as missing. All folders have duplication tuned on, so I felt I was in good shape.

From what I read it is not obvious to me what to do.

Instruction states, from the console, to add another drive and remove the missing one. Two issues: I have no more SATA connectors and of course I will claim a replacement drive in the shop - which requires that I bring the faulty drive with me. In fact there should sufficient space even without a replacement drive.

When I try to remove the missing drive I am warned that I may lose data since they are not moved to the pool. This drive is not accessible for WHS, that's why it has been reported as missing! I thought that the whole idea with duplication was that I would nor lose data when a drive fails.

This appears so stupid to me that there must be something I have not understood.

Please someone.

Saturday, September 25, 2010 5:25 PM

Answers

• Since the failing drive is already shown as missed, there is nothing, which has to be copied anyway. The process of removing a drive would usually move files to another disk and rewrite the tombstones to point to the new location. In case of a missing drive only the tombstones will have to be rewritten - and if enough space is available I would assume also the duplicate copy would be created on another disk.

But since the disk is missed anyway, you could also replace it immediatly with the new drive, add this new drive to the storage pool and then remove the still missing old drive.

If you want you can also read the FAQ How to recover data after server failure to check, if you can still recover anything from your missed disk.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by hauge48 Sunday, September 26, 2010 9:48 AM
    Sunday, September 26, 2010 9:04 AM

All replies

• The warning is that way - even if you have no other choice. A missing drive can also in theory intended - i.e. a USB drive, which is part of the storage pool.

Data you can still loose even with duplication enabled are the client backups, since those are not duplicated and deemed replaceable by a new backup of these clients. Only the files in duplicated shared folders should be safe. (Anyway, you should have external backups as well, which not only protect against disk failure, but also against user error, malware or a catastrophic incident, like fire, flood, theft).

Olaf

Saturday, September 25, 2010 7:50 PM
  • How about the sequence of actions? Will I get into trouble if I first remove the failing drive and then add the replacement?

Sunday, September 26, 2010 8:25 AM
  • Since the failing drive is already shown as missed, there is nothing, which has to be copied anyway. The process of removing a drive would usually move files to another disk and rewrite the tombstones to point to the new location. In case of a missing drive only the tombstones will have to be rewritten - and if enough space is available I would assume also the duplicate copy would be created on another disk.

But since the disk is missed anyway, you could also replace it immediatly with the new drive, add this new drive to the storage pool and then remove the still missing old drive.

If you want you can also read the FAQ How to recover data after server failure to check, if you can still recover anything from your missed disk.

Olaf

• Marked as answer by hauge48 Sunday, September 26, 2010 9:48 AM
    Sunday, September 26, 2010 9:04 AM