What does "Optimistic change application failed" in synchronisation trace mean? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am using Sync Framework 2 RTM to synch SQL Express databases. My setup is based on the "WebSharingAppDemo-CEProviderEndToEnd" sample.

Every download session that is not batched results in faulting the communication channel. GetChanges on the service gets called succesfully and the changes are delivered to the local proxy. Even when there are no changes the communication channel gets faulted and calling endsession results in an exception.

I am really breaking my head over this. Debugging is hard because on my development system everything works fine. But when I move it to the production servers the error occures.

I activated tracing on the sessions. The trace looks good, but showed the following message on table updates:

Optimistic change application failed

What does this this message mean? Can it have anything to do with faulting the WCF communication channel?

Many thanks!
    • Moved by Mahesh DudgikarMicrosoft employee Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:11 AM (From:SyncFx - Technical Discussion)
    • Moved by Max Wang_1983 Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:33 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Friday, October 30, 2009 9:16 AM

Answers

• Stefan-

That trace message means that when we could not apply the row when we tried to apply it optimistically (meaning we would assume it would succeed).  This means that there is the potential for conflict or that on closer inspection the row is not in conflict and was applied successfully.  If a conflict was detected, this would cause the ApplyChangeFailed event to fire in which you can see more information about the conflict / failure.

It has nothing to do with the WCF communication channel.

Hope that clears things up.  Thanks-
    Phil
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:01 PM