Backups Fail on XP, The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have two machines that I am trying to backup, My Vista Home Premium laptop, and my XP Home Edition Desktop. The laptop backs up fine, no problems here, but the desktop has yet to backup.

What I See

I start a manual backup, the percentage stays at 0%, and the backup status box says "A Backup is starting", the activity lights on my drives start flashing just as if the data is being read from them and nothing happens, it will sit like this for about 10 min. before the backup status box tells me to run chkdisk on my drives.

What I Have Tried

First I ran chkdisk like the error message suggested, no errors found. Then I started searching the forums for possible reasons why the backup was failing, this led me to check the status of the Volume Shadow Service, I checked it and it is running. Next I tried freeing up some space on the client drive, that didn't fix the problem either.

This puzzles me the most though, I can access the drives on the server, either through the console, or by mapping them to my computer, and I can interact with them(copy, paste etc.).

Any ideas that someone could give me would be great!

Thursday, December 30, 2010 11:57 AM

All replies

• What reason does Windows Home Server give for the failing backups? You can select a backup in the console and view more information about it.

Also, are there any errors in the client computer's event logs?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 1:12 PM
  • The failure details from the server console say "The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup". Im not sure how to check the event logs, so if you can tell me how i will check them
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 1:35 PM
  • I did some digging in the control panel and found the event viewer, here is what i got from reading the event

Backup set 1 on FRANTZSERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeException: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80042308 ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80042308): Exception from HRESULT: 0x80042308

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.IVssBackupComponents.GetSnapshotProperties(Guid SnapshotId)

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.CreateShadowVolume(VolumeInfo[] volumes)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.CreateShadowVolume(VolumeInfo[] volumes)

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet..ctor(VolumeInfo[] volumes)

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()

Thursday, December 30, 2010 2:18 PM
  • Could the failure be related to the fact that one of the drives has the recovery partition for the OS, and that partition is formatted FAT32?
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 4:34 PM
  • Hi,
    Yes. Windows Home Server can only backup NTFS volumes. Try reconfiguring backups for this client while excluding the FAT32 recovery partition. Backups should now proceed without errors.

To succesfully backup the recovery partition you could try converting it to NTFS using XP's FAT/NTFS conversion tool. Please note however that, depending on the nature of the recovery partition, converting to NTFS might render the recovery partition useless (the recovery process may not be able to handle NTFS).

Alternatively you could backup the recovery partition using a drive imaging tool, then store it somewhere in a save place. You do not need the recovery partition when restoring the client using Windows Home server...

- Theo. 

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:58 PM
  • The FAT32 Recovery Partition, is not in the list of drives to be backed up, I'm wondering if since it resides on the same physical drive as a partition that I want backed up, it may be causing problems (multiple volume types on one physical drive)
    Friday, December 31, 2010 12:31 AM
  • There may be a problem with the Volume Shadow Copy Services on the XP client. Check for any VSS related errors in the eventlist?

You can list the active providers by running "vssadmin list providers" from the command prompt. To check the state of active VSS writers use "vssadmin list writers".

See also this thread...
    - Theo.

Friday, December 31, 2010 9:15 AM
  • I typed those commands into command prompt, and here is the output

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>vssadmin list providers

Error: 0x80070005

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>vssadmin list writers

Error: 0x80070005

UPDATE

I re-ran the commands with administrator privileges and got a different output

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>vssadmin list providers

vssadmin 1.0 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool

(C) Copyright 2001 Microsoft Corp.

Provider name: 'MS Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'

Provider type: System

Provider Id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}

Version: 1.0.0.7

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>vssadmin list writers

vssadmin 1.0 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool

(C) Copyright 2001 Microsoft Corp.

Writer name: 'MSDEWriter'

Writer Id: {f8544ac1-0611-4fa5-b04b-f7ee00b03277}

Writer Instance Id: {d68ecd27-bfc2-4d83-9c4f-6e7dda287d49}

State: [1] Stable

Writer name: 'Microsoft Writer (Bootable State)'

Writer Id: {f2436e37-09f5-41af-9b2a-4ca2435dbfd5}

Writer Instance Id: {a5a2e1e9-3abd-48b2-b4e0-2bb90afa8412}

Writer name: 'Microsoft Writer (Service State)'

Writer Id: {e38c2e3c-d4fb-4f4d-9550-fcafda8aae9a}

Writer Instance Id: {afa0c14c-fb39-4e93-ad2a-b4ebd68456c7}

Writer name: 'WMI Writer'

Writer Id: {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0}

Writer Instance Id: {0eb46c48-e4e2-46b7-8669-acd15ecde913}

Friday, December 31, 2010 1:26 PM
  • A look deeper into the event viewer shows that the MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service starts, begins, fails "due to a failed free space computation", stops, and repeats this process again and again. What does that mean?
    Friday, December 31, 2010 4:22 PM
  • The vssadmin output looks OK to me.
    The event viewer errors however are indicating that VSS fails in creating shadow copies. As a result the client backup fails.
    Finding a solution for this may be not be straight forward...

Start by running "chkdsk /r /x" for all drives from the command prompt.
    This may take some time and you will need to reboot the client.

- Theo.

Saturday, January 1, 2011 12:42 PM
  • I ran chkdsk /r/x on both of my drives, it came back clean, no errors on either drive, logged into the console and saw that the desktop was backing up, not sure if it will finish successfully, and completely puzzled as to why its working now. Now I need to figure out why the windows home server icon does not show in the task bar
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 2:54 AM
  • Well it worked for a little, but now its back to "the computer cant take a snapshot of the volume for backup"
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 11:51 AM
  • Hmm...
    Maybe you should have a look at this thread?

- Theo.

Sunday, January 2, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Theo, after reading that thread I found a link to a different thread that talked about backups failing due to having low amounts of free space,my C: drive only has 5.75 GB of free space out of 70 GB. I think that it's possible that the VSS needs more space on the drive to create and store the backup before it is sent to the server, so I'm going to see if I can free up some more space on C: and try to backup again.
    Monday, January 3, 2011 11:22 AM
  • Got free space up higher, still receiving "can not create volume snapshot error" 
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 10:25 PM