unable to install required update RRS feed

• Question

• My onecare is "at risk"..note says "unable to install required update on this pc, computer at risk"  Microsoft says we are up to date
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 6:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• Try the database reset tool to resolve this issue -   http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4bc2594b-95ab-4235-b5b8-41656b38480f&DisplayLang=en

Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 7:08 PM
  • I have the same problem on XP - "Urgent Turn On Automatic Updates.  Windows Automatic Updates isn't set to download and install high-priority updates automatically.  This PC may be at risk from Internet threats.  Go to OneCare on this PC and complete the Action to Take".   Upon going to OneCare and clicking "Turn ON" a pop-up appears and redirects me control panel "System - Automatic Updates"  Recommended On is grayed out and Turn Off is checked and grayed out.

Did not have problem with OneCare Live on network until December when I received an updates.  System crashed with "Windows Steady State" dialogue box on screen.  Was able to eventually turn off "Windows Steady State" via Services.   One Care hasn't worked from that point forward.

Went through the database reset tool without success.  Have followed all Microsoft recommendations up to and including "uninstall".  I was about to "Install" from MS when I ran across this forum.   

Any suggestions before I re-install One Care?  Any help would be appreciated.

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 7:46 PM
  • I think reinstalling would be the best solution. After uninstalling One Care run the install cleanup tool - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943 before reinstalling One Care.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 1:35 AM
  • Thanks!  I did run the cleanup tool before downloading and installing Live OneCare earlier this afternoon.  Live OC still showed "Urgent Turn On Automatic Updates" message. 

Proceeded to Control > Security Center and tried to activate at that point - no luck.  Then went to Administrative Tools > Services (Extended) to insure Network Access Protection Agent; Network Connections; Network Location Awareness; and Network Provisioning Service were "Started"    With the exception of NLA, all were in "Manual" mode; NLA is set to "Automatic" and "Started".  Following reboot NLA remained in "Auto" "Started" and Network Connections is in "Manual" "Started".  The rest are in "Manual and inactive.  Attempted to activate Auto Update without success.

Is there anything else I should specifically look for?  

Looking through some of the other posts, there seems to be an abnormal number of problems with this particular element of Live OneCare.   To me that indicates a possible problem with the software program itself.  Is Microsoft aware of the problem and are they working on a fix?
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 3:37 AM
  • If Automatic Updates is failing to turn on, it is possibly be due to undetected malware on the PC. Please contact support for help with this.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 12:09 PM