Cannot download updates RRS feed

• Question

• I recently bought a refurbished Dell Optiplex DX270 with XP Pro SP3 pre-installed. About a week later your lovely automatic update destroyed it amd I hand an endless reboot loop. Afte much messing around and discussion with the supplier, I decided to re-install Windows using the recovery disk as there was very little on the machine.

This started the next problem. Whenever I try to download updates or indeed anything from Microsoft, I get the cannot access this page message.

After another 2 days of seaching the internet and following instructions relating to this problem, I am still getting nowhere, except that I have downloaded lots of supposed fixes using my laptop, then transferred them to the Dell using a memory stick.

I'm about fed up with this now, as the refurbished PC was supposed to speed up my work and prevent me having to use an old PC that reboots whenever it gets the inclination to (usually in the middle of creating comlpicated spreadsheets). Instead, I'm spending valuable time that I could be earning money for, in sorting out the problems MS have caused me!

The latest attempt involved following instructions on your forum to another person with this problem, so I have duly downloaded WGA and run it and here is the result:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0019.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-T6DFB-Y934T-YD4YT
    Windows Product Key Hash: 3g4CZGFEDgbKmn/oB4pa2FZsssU=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2211906-00102
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {9102A34B-16EC-4D8D-ACFD-E56CEB0F2EEC}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Documents and Settings\My Computer\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{9102A34B-16EC-4D8D-ACFD-E56CEB0F2EEC}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0019.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-YD4YT</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-00102</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-854245398-1644491937-1417001333</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>OptiPlex GX270               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A04</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040517000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>7CC931E701848073</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57512</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="114"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1B16A:Dell Inc|10008:Microsoft Corporation|1B16A:Microsoft Corporation
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

• Moved by Darin Smith MS Friday, March 5, 2010 11:38 PM appears to be an Office Validation issue. Moved to Office Validation Forum (From:Windows XP Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Windows XP))
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 4:33 PM

Answers

• Hello Tydabuan Wilts,

Since this is the Windows Genuine Advantage forum, we can advise you on the genuine or not status of your Windows and Office installations.  We won't be able to give you any advice about troubleshooting your Windows Updates or "refurbished" computer, however.

For Windows Updates troubleshooting, please visit:  http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/threads?filter=unanswered  or http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/ph/6527#tab0

The Windows XP Pro installation on your Dell OptiPlex GX270 computer is reporting as a Genuine installation of a Dell standard OEM SLP license for Windows XP Pro, which is as it should be, so no worries there.

However, your Office installation is another matter.

Here is a snippet of your mgadiag report:

OGA Data-->

The report says you have a Blocked VLK, which means that (a) your Dell computer has a Volume Licensing edition of Office Professional Edition 2003 installed, and that (b) a Blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) was used to install it.  A "blocked" VLK is one that was issued by Microsoft to a business, educational institution, or governmental agency for their exclusive use in accordance with a Volume Licensing Agreement.  (Note that such use does NOT allow the resale of such VLKs.)  However, because the VLK may have been reported lost, stolen, or compromised to the internet by the original keyholder, or because the Volume Licensing Agreement has expired, Microsoft has blocked the VLK from further use.

If your use of this Volume Licensing edition of Office Professional Edition 2003 is in association with an organization that has a Volume Licensing Agreement, then please contact the IT support staff of the organization for further assistance.

If you are an individual consumer, you should never have been sold Volume Licensing (VL) materials such as a VL installation disc, and you certainly should not have received a Blocked Product Key.  You should have been sold Genuine retail licensed software.

Your first course of action is to confront your seller with this information and demand a full refund.

If the seller refuses to help, please file a piracy report at www.microsoft.com/piracy.  Also, depending upon whether you received "high quality" counterfeit materials, you may qualify for the Office Complimentary Offer or for the Office Genuine Advantage discounted offer.  Please see the FAQ here:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#ID0EKNAC  If you think that you qualify for the Genuine Office Offer, apply for the Offer thru the Learn More Online link that the OGA Notifier is displaying.

One other possibility is that at one time your computer did have a Genuine installation of Office installed, but for some reason it was replaced with the current installation which is nongenuine.  This could have happened if you took your computer to a repair shop and they reinstalled Windows and/or some or all of your programs.  You Get Genuine once again by uninstalling the current nongenuine installation of Office and using your Genuine Microsoft hologrammed Office installation CDs, along with the genuine Product Key found on your Office Edition's Certificate of Authenticity, to put back the genuine installation of Office you may have already had on the computer.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, March 1, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Hello ja37,

You wrote, "I  am still looking around, I am also looking to download the full iso cd of xp home w/sp3 so I can clean install home for freinds who have trahsed their turn key systems with so many malwares and viruses,..."

About half of the Windows ISOs floating around out there on warezz sites are chock full of those "malwares and viruses" that you want to rescue your friends from.  Not to mention rootkits, trojans, and worms that they don't even have names for yet :-)

Do us ALL a favor and stay away from downloaded Windows discs!
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, March 1, 2010 5:30 PM

All replies

• I got the same deal with a neigbhors Compaq Presario SR1410NX, I also see the registered key is different from the sticker on the box. I am thinking about just dumping it back so it will start the update process all over, but being the blasted hp garbage system it is, I wonder if that will even work, maybe it will just go invalid all together.

I cleaned this thing up so it would let IE fully open, then it updated from 7 to 8 and began to get 3 more updates when it failed.

Security updates for IE8, MGADisadvantage update, and SP3. I had to leave for while, and decided to just shut it all down to finish it later. the next day I turned it on, and first thing was updates ready to install, so I gave it the ok, it installed, the IE8, and Disadvantage updates, then required rebooting to take effect, I noticed that the SP3 was theredownloading, and went ahead for a restart, the shut down screen had the shield for the option to install updates then shut down, but I chose to restart. Well it came back, the yellow shield was there for SP3 I clicked it, and it just diasappeared, and I haven't been able to get any updateing with it since.

First thing it wants is WGA Disadvantage, and then it fails to install it. Upon searching I find it hasn a previous WGA Disdvantage already installed, but reatedly fails to install the updated version, helping to fully ear the name "DISADVANTAGE".

This is the diagnostics results I received;

========================================================================
    Diagnostic Report (1.9.0019.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-BRVBB-38MQ9-3PMFT
    Windows Product Key Hash: 2V2VyxlfhiaCt/JkDzYQfiNOHMA=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2111907-00106
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: {F7380957-BA54-4091-BF01-C6D87AC48E8C}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    File Exists: No
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{F7380957-BA54-4091-BF01-C6D87AC48E8C}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0019.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-3PMFT</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2111907-00106</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-747929486-4099648023-4077210822</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Compaq Presario 061</Manufacturer><Model>PW505AA-ABA SR1410NX NA520</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version> 3.04</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050126000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>HP PAVILION</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>9FEA3A4F0184206C</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Compaq</name><model>Presario</model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: E06B:Compaq Computer Corporation|1085F:Compaq Computer Corporation|E10D:Compaq Computer Corporation|106B8:Compaq Computer Corporation|106B8:Compaq Computer Corporation|E10D:Hewlett-Packard Company|1D8A0:Hewlett-Packard Company
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: HP PAVILION

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A
    ==================================================================================

I am still looking around, I am also looking to download the full iso cd of xp home w/sp3 so I can clean install home for freinds who have trahsed their turn key systems with so many malwares and viruses, and run too many simultanious anti-virus programs, and deleted too much of the recovery system to even do the oem restore to new state.

Sunday, February 28, 2010 7:11 PM
  • If you are having issues with Windows Updates, please post your inquiry in the appropriate forum, which is the Windows Update Forum.
    Carey Frisch
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 9:31 PM
  • Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to where I was, just that the first post I saw in the search was the same problem I am finding on another computer, so I just added my results too.

Sunday, February 28, 2010 9:41 PM
  • Hello Tydabuan Wilts,

Since this is the Windows Genuine Advantage forum, we can advise you on the genuine or not status of your Windows and Office installations.  We won't be able to give you any advice about troubleshooting your Windows Updates or "refurbished" computer, however.

For Windows Updates troubleshooting, please visit:  http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/threads?filter=unanswered  or http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/ph/6527#tab0

The Windows XP Pro installation on your Dell OptiPlex GX270 computer is reporting as a Genuine installation of a Dell standard OEM SLP license for Windows XP Pro, which is as it should be, so no worries there.

However, your Office installation is another matter.

Here is a snippet of your mgadiag report:

OGA Data-->

The report says you have a Blocked VLK, which means that (a) your Dell computer has a Volume Licensing edition of Office Professional Edition 2003 installed, and that (b) a Blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) was used to install it.  A "blocked" VLK is one that was issued by Microsoft to a business, educational institution, or governmental agency for their exclusive use in accordance with a Volume Licensing Agreement.  (Note that such use does NOT allow the resale of such VLKs.)  However, because the VLK may have been reported lost, stolen, or compromised to the internet by the original keyholder, or because the Volume Licensing Agreement has expired, Microsoft has blocked the VLK from further use.

If your use of this Volume Licensing edition of Office Professional Edition 2003 is in association with an organization that has a Volume Licensing Agreement, then please contact the IT support staff of the organization for further assistance.

If you are an individual consumer, you should never have been sold Volume Licensing (VL) materials such as a VL installation disc, and you certainly should not have received a Blocked Product Key.  You should have been sold Genuine retail licensed software.

Your first course of action is to confront your seller with this information and demand a full refund.

If the seller refuses to help, please file a piracy report at www.microsoft.com/piracy.  Also, depending upon whether you received "high quality" counterfeit materials, you may qualify for the Office Complimentary Offer or for the Office Genuine Advantage discounted offer.  Please see the FAQ here:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#ID0EKNAC  If you think that you qualify for the Genuine Office Offer, apply for the Offer thru the Learn More Online link that the OGA Notifier is displaying.

One other possibility is that at one time your computer did have a Genuine installation of Office installed, but for some reason it was replaced with the current installation which is nongenuine.  This could have happened if you took your computer to a repair shop and they reinstalled Windows and/or some or all of your programs.  You Get Genuine once again by uninstalling the current nongenuine installation of Office and using your Genuine Microsoft hologrammed Office installation CDs, along with the genuine Product Key found on your Office Edition's Certificate of Authenticity, to put back the genuine installation of Office you may have already had on the computer.

Monday, March 1, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Hello ja37,

You wrote, "I  am still looking around, I am also looking to download the full iso cd of xp home w/sp3 so I can clean install home for freinds who have trahsed their turn key systems with so many malwares and viruses,..."

About half of the Windows ISOs floating around out there on warezz sites are chock full of those "malwares and viruses" that you want to rescue your friends from.  Not to mention rootkits, trojans, and worms that they don't even have names for yet :-)

Do us ALL a favor and stay away from downloaded Windows discs!
    Monday, March 1, 2010 5:30 PM