What happens to my backups when OneCare phases out? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had a scary conversation with someone about OneCare backups not being available to use when OneCare phases out later this year. Will I really lose all those backups, or is there a way to retrieve the information? I intend migrating to Morro if it's offered!

Apologies if anyone has already asked this one. It's been ages since I was last here.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 8:29 AM

Answers

• One Care will be fully supported through the end of 2010, it just won't be available for retail sale after June 30, 2009. Your backups will still be available but when you transition to Morro or any other antivirus application you will have to find another backup solution.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 1:31 PM
  • Back in v1 of OneCare, there was no restriction that required OneCare to be installed to use the module for restoring from a backup. In fact, each CD/DVD used for backup had the utility written to it and it could be executed automatically by inserting the disc into any PC. I am hoping that the utility will be made available for access to old backups when OneCare is phased out.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 5:55 PM
  • :-)
    I'm sure that you won't be the only grumpy one if the utility is not made available! We'll all be grumpy, too, since we'll be explaining how to manually extract the data from the zip files when people discover that their backups won't load without OneCare. My fingers are crossed and I'll be sure to poke our OneCare contacts about the issue repeatedly!
    -steve
    • Marked as answer by ohnonotagain_ Monday, April 13, 2009 12:47 PM
    Monday, April 13, 2009 12:36 PM

All replies

• One Care will be fully supported through the end of 2010, it just won't be available for retail sale after June 30, 2009. Your backups will still be available but when you transition to Morro or any other antivirus application you will have to find another backup solution.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 1:31 PM
  • Back in v1 of OneCare, there was no restriction that required OneCare to be installed to use the module for restoring from a backup. In fact, each CD/DVD used for backup had the utility written to it and it could be executed automatically by inserting the disc into any PC. I am hoping that the utility will be made available for access to old backups when OneCare is phased out.
    -steve
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 5:55 PM
    -steve

So do I, Steven, or there'll be tons of wasted backup discs and a very grumpy me! I ain't very nice to know when I'm grumpy;-)

Thanks for reply.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 6:57 PM
  • :-)
    I'm sure that you won't be the only grumpy one if the utility is not made available! We'll all be grumpy, too, since we'll be explaining how to manually extract the data from the zip files when people discover that their backups won't load without OneCare. My fingers are crossed and I'll be sure to poke our OneCare contacts about the issue repeatedly!
    -steve
    • Marked as answer by ohnonotagain_ Monday, April 13, 2009 12:47 PM
    Monday, April 13, 2009 12:36 PM
  • It would perhaps be preferable if there could be some sort of link to run the backups made by OneCare so they can be run from Vista's own backup utility. Now, that would be nice!

Poor souls who have to write the code, though, aye:-( I'm just glad you're all still running this Forum for those of us who need it as I will be as muddle-headed with this caper as anybody! I'm really not in love with every technical thing!

Thanks heaps for reply. Hope your Easter was peaceful, Steve. Wish you all on here well and do take care.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 12:55 PM