Home Server Connector issues This Operation cannot be completed at this time RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have a home server that will not allow installation of the connector software.
    I have 2 clients with Win7 and WHS has PP3 installed.
    Error Message:
    "This operation cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact product support."

This appears immediately after entering the Admin password on Connector install

I have gone through all the troubleshooting guides and trawled the net for answers. I have done all the obvious such as disabling all firewalls.
    Have tried installing from browser & from network share. Removed all WHS entries from registry, deleted from Program Files folder and copied connector software locally to Win7 Desktop and then tried install with exactly the same error each time.
    Even tried changing system dates.
    Home server is pingable and accesable via network(though network file transfers are inconsistent. Speed is up and down, more down than up).
    They belong to the same wrokgroup and are connected to the same switch.

Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2423.0

Desperately need some more ideas

Thanks

Friday, February 12, 2010 12:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You should give the Connector Troubleshooter a go and see if you can resolve your problem. If it comes back with a problem post the details here.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=42426D83-2C54-446E-86ED-E3E9E7E33A98&displaylang=en

There is a good guide for it at:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10569/troubleshoot-connection-issues-with-windows-home-server-toolkit/

Cheers,
    Al

--
    Friday, February 12, 2010 2:15 PM
  • I ran the troubleshooter and it asked me to do as I have before. "The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server. Make sure you are installing the correct version of the Connector software. On your home computer, delete the %ProgramFiles%\Windows Home Server folder if it exists. Then install the Connector software from the Software shared folder on your home server, rather than from the CD. (Perhaps you have an old CD.) Connect to \\YourServerName\Software\ Home Server Connector Software, and then run Setup.exe." Ran through this and still received exact same error.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 11:16 PM
  • Hi,

When you go to the connector software directory on your server:
    \\Server\Software\Home Server Connector Software

Is the version of Setup.exe (Properties->Version) 6.0.2423.0 with the file dates as so:

10/07/2009  13:48           224,104      setup.exe
    10/07/2009  21:16           15,460,352  WHSConnector.msi
    10/07/2009  13:48           1,103,720    WHSConnectorInstall.exe
    10/07/2009  15:45           16,396,800  WHSConnector_x64.msi
    10/07/2009  13:48           41,320        WHSVersionUpgrade.dll
    10/07/2009  15:11           43,880        WHSVersionUpgrade_x64.dll

I also had this problem with my system and I had reboot my Windows Home Server twice before it would install.
    --
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:08 AM
  • So I got so fed up of wasting sooooo many hours just trying to fix one problem(Connector wont install) that I attempted a reinstall of WHS.
    Set the machine to boot from cd, chose reinstall and let it do its thing. I come back and notice that it has turned itself off now. Turn it back on and it does not continue installation, instead it says can't find NTLDR. Ok I says, try reinstall again...... Oh ohh no reinstall option anymore only able to do fresh install that will wipe all my data. Don't want to do that!
    Remove drives from machine and plug into win7 box, says data drive is in unreadable format and will need to format. Aint doin that!
    How do I recover all my files? How can I reinstall whs without losing everything? All this because the piece o shite connector software would not install!

PS quit smoking this week and this aint helping

Ron
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:10 AM
  • So I got so fed up of wasting sooooo many hours just trying to fix one problem(Connector wont install) that I attempted a reinstall of WHS.
    Set the machine to boot from cd, chose reinstall and let it do its thing. I come back and notice that it has turned itself off now. Turn it back on and it does not continue installation, instead it says can't find NTLDR. Ok I says, try reinstall again...... Oh ohh no reinstall option anymore only able to do fresh install that will wipe all my data. Don't want to do that!
    Remove drives from machine and plug into win7 box, says data drive is in unreadable format and will need to format. Aint doin that!
    How do I recover all my files? How can I reinstall whs without losing everything? All this because the piece o shite connector software would not install!

PS quit smoking this week and this aint helping

Ron
    That hard drive is failing/has failed.  If you can't connect it to another PC and see data on it, the data on it is probably lost.  The only chance of recovering data from that drive now is data recovery (either a professional service or a DIY app).
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:23 AM
  • You are going to have to do a towers of hanoi job on your data - Pick the biggest disc - shuffle all the data off it onto the other drivers.  Install WHS onto that - copy data from the smallest drive to the WHS.  Add smallest drive to pool, and repeat.

Good job on giving up smoking.  I'm coming up to two weeks myself.
    --
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:24 AM
  • oh joy oh joy. Discs are brand new 2 x 1.5tb. so should not be a failing disc. The only use they have had is when I transferred all my data across. Since then WHS has given me many issues and spent most of the time switched off.

Disc 0 contains the WHS installation partition(Vol 1) also lists the share folders on another partition(Vol 2). I can see all my files but they cannot be accessed. Viewed in Win7
    Disc 1 Vol 1 lists about 650Gb free space on the 1.5tb, so my data is there somewhere, just not viewable from my win7 machine.

Not sure I understand your response Al West. Can you explain with a little more detail? How can I shuffle data that I can't access or see? My discs are both 1.5's

Thanks for the vote of confidence on quitting. Really putting me to the test at moment but I will prevail and well done yourself

Ron
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:45 AM
  • enabled hidden files and folders in win7 and can copy all my data off. Once complete, will do  a fresh install and prepare myself for round 2 of this WHS nightmare!

Ron
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 3:23 AM
  • Hi Ron,

Basically I was saying if you have drives full up then you have to shuffle the files around - but look like you have it under control.

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 12:09 PM