Self Referential N-N Relationship viewing problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a small issue with viewing self referential relationsship in an intuitive manner to the user. I'll try to explain:

Let say I create a N-N relationship on the case entity which is self referential (Case-Case). This is to enable the users to link different cases to each other. From a user perspective the cases are linked on the same level maining the the one case is not "above" the other.

The issue is the with the standar type of N-N relationship you have two references in the N-N relations (which of couse makes sence). But I have to show both ends for the relationship on under the detail section on the case form. In other words I will have two instances of "Related cases" in the detail section. From a user perspective it's very confusing because he does not care which of the to related cases he had selected when he made the relationship. But it makes a huge difference in how the data is viewed. I can't make ONE list of all related cases. There has to be two. The user will experience it as more or less random which of the two views contains data. And in some cases he will see different relationships in both.

Any idea how to work around this issue and just have all relationships shown in on list?

Kind regards, Thomas Rath

Friday, January 4, 2013 9:00 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I've had this issue before as well. I either change the display name each end of the relationship to be a specific name - e.g Parent Cases & Child Cases. Or you can use Connections which will show both sides in the same list.

Scott

Scott Durow
    Read my blog: www.develop1.net/public     Follow Me on Twitter
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by ThomasRath Friday, January 4, 2013 10:24 AM
    Friday, January 4, 2013 9:18 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

I've had this issue before as well. I either change the display name each end of the relationship to be a specific name - e.g Parent Cases & Child Cases. Or you can use Connections which will show both sides in the same list.

Scott

Scott Durow
    Read my blog: www.develop1.net/public     Follow Me on Twitter
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by ThomasRath Friday, January 4, 2013 10:24 AM
    Friday, January 4, 2013 9:18 AM
    Answerer
  • Hello Thomas,

I  think you have build a "native"many-to-many relationships.

But perhaps you can build a "manual" many-to-many relationship. You define a new entity and two 2 to  many relationships with the case-entity. You can add additional attributes with information (for example type) to your entity and show this information to your user.

Have a look at  http://www.dynamicscrmtrickbag.com/2011/05/08/many-to-many-relationships-in-dynamics-crm-2011/ to see the  disadvantage of native many-to-many relationships.

Herzliche Grüße / Best regards Markus Müller If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Friday, January 4, 2013 9:20 AM
  • Hi Scott

The issue is that it's not a parent-child relationship. It's just two cases that are related. One is not "above" the other. I think I wil have the same issue with connections. But I'll try it out.

Friday, January 4, 2013 9:26 AM
  • Hi Markus

I will have the same problem regardless of whether it's a native or manual N-N. As I tried to explain it's not a parent-child relationship.

Friday, January 4, 2013 9:27 AM
  • Seems like Connections at least lets the user view the relationship in one list from both sides. Downside is that its not not as userfreindly to create the relations as a native N-N relationship. But I will properly go with using connections. Thanks for the help!

Friday, January 4, 2013 10:23 AM