Monitoring Tool RRS feed

• Question

• Ok this is not really a problem but more of a question.
    I am currently using a collection of free tools to track when users log in to my home server.

the reason im doing this is because im at a college and i gave about 40 people access to it under 2 different logins and i just want to track what they are doing better

1 program that gets the ip of the connecting user - BMExtreme and TCP/IP Monitor (testing which one is better as of right now)
    2 Network Monitor built into WHS to gather their mac address
    3 ping plotter - to resolve the ip to a computer name
    4 Event viewer- to see when they log in so i can find the corresponding times of login vs bandwidth vs ip
    5 Bandwidth Monitor -showing overall statistics of how much data goes in and out.
    Here is what i want. Is there a program out there that does all of these? or at least the first 3

Somthing that can get the ip and mac address is the most important thing i want 
    Ive been searching and i cant find a free program for that let alone a fairly inexpensive program to even test.
    Any suggestions?

There are 10 differents kinds of people in the world those who understand binary those who dont
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 2:18 PM

Answers

• David, you should submit your request as a product suggestion on Connect. Seriously. If you feel you need that level of monitoring, probably others do as well. And the only way you're likely to be able to get it in a truly useful fashion will probably require changes to Windows Home Server to capture additional information and expose it through the SDK for add-ins to use.

That said, I honestly doubt that anything will make it into the product to support this. I think you're looking for significant added complexity, because if you have the ability to monitor this sort of information, you probably also want the ability to throttle use if certain parameters are exceeded, and that is kind of counter to the concept of Windows Home Server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:12 PM