Can I clone WHS to another drive? RRS feed

• Question

• The disk that WHS is installed is a SATA 100gb disk. Can I clone that disk to a 1tb disk using Accronis clone? I have cloned other disks using Accronis and it worked perfectly even when it was the OS disk.

Thanks, Marion
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Marion,
    usually it will not work, since the disk ID changes and make the volume represented by drive D: going to be missed in the console. The supported way would be to swap the old system disk vs. the new and perform a server reinstall. If your SATA controller is not in IDE compatibility mode, this will require to supply the mass storage drivers two times, one time via floppy.
    Some people reported successfull cloning attempts, if they also cloned the physical disk information.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by gb_photo_guy Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:57 PM
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Marion,
    usually it will not work, since the disk ID changes and make the volume represented by drive D: going to be missed in the console. The supported way would be to swap the old system disk vs. the new and perform a server reinstall. If your SATA controller is not in IDE compatibility mode, this will require to supply the mass storage drivers two times, one time via floppy.
    Some people reported successfull cloning attempts, if they also cloned the physical disk information.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by gb_photo_guy Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:57 PM
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:37 PM
  • Hi Marion,
    Olaf

Does anyone know where the disk ID is kept on the disk?  I would like to try to modify the disk name AFTER the clone.  This should allow me to make a copy and get it to work.
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 4:43 PM
  • Maybe I got lucky but I was able to do this a few weeks ago. I wanted to change my boot hard drive from a WD green drive to a WD black for a little more speed. I removed all drives except the boot/system drive, attached the drive I wanted to clone it to, used acronis to clone it. Then removed the old boot drive and attached the new one to that sata port. Then I reattached all my other data drives and it booted right up. I logged in with RDP and waited for it to finish installing drivers and rebooted. The only thing I noticed was the drive description had the old drive name. I opened regedit and searched for that string, there was only one so I changed it to the correct description of the new drive (I got that in device manager) and rebooted again... I logged into the whs manager and it showed the correct info and everything has been running fine. I don't remember the exact path to the registry key but it wasn't hard to find with search. Both drives were western digital and I made sure I connected everything back up to the same cables/ports when I was done. I didn't make any other changes to the computer or bios. Hope this helps
    Friday, December 25, 2009 1:04 PM
  • This makes sense.  I was playing with the cloned drive on another system yesterday and did a search for the drive (the existing drive from the clone) and found a file that was a registry update.  In fact, I inadvertently double-clicked on the file to read it and got a message saying my Registry had been updated.  Oops, I screwed that system up.  I restored that system from my Home Server and was going to look at the WHS registry today.  Now I know what to look for.  I'll post my findings here.

Thanks for the information.

Fred
    Friday, December 25, 2009 8:12 PM
  • OK, I checked and found 13 instances of the drive name (as in the device manager).  I see one of the instances is in a section about SCSI even though this is a SATA drive.  The next is in a place that syas "\windows home server\storage manager\disks\nnnnnn....." where the name is a large hex number.  In that key is the disk name.  I'm wondering if you had multiple occurences and globally changed all of the values?

I'll taker the server down again next week and try modifying the registry.

FRed
    Friday, December 25, 2009 8:29 PM
  • If I recall correctly, I dont think Acronic clones the disk's ID. But if you were to use XXCLONE, there is an option to "Duplicate Vol. ID":
    http://www.xxclone.com/

Wouldnt this ensure an exact clone?

But let's say you clone a 500GB drive to a 1TB. Does the extra 500GB get seen by WHS and is usable for storage?
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 7:33 PM
  • But let's say you clone a 500GB drive to a 1TB. Does the extra 500GB get seen by WHS and is usable for storage?
    I wrote a tutorial on how to make the C partition larger than 20G. During this time I experimented with using Ghost/Acronis/etc, and I found that the WHS Console will NOT report or properly use the new space on C or D if you change it after install. In fact it caused drive errors because the OS was expecting something different that what it had.

If you want to clone the system drive with the same size drive, it might work. If you want to add a larger drive or change partition sizes, I'd suggest a new install using my tutorial. You can search for it...

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 7:56 PM
  • I have yet to have the time to try the registry hack described above.  It really kills me that so many have tried to do what the product SHOULD DO out of the box.  I am running WHS server since before the formal release and have had two drive failures.  Both times, the re-install method gave me trouble.  This is something I wish MS will fix in the next version.  I really like the product and hope the get it right.

Sunday, January 3, 2010 3:48 AM