none
Updating Post Title in the Activity of User RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have posted a question and just after hitting OK I edited the title and changed the "Copy" word in the title to "Edit". Whenever I click my username in the top right corner and go to Activity tab, it still shows the previous title with "Copy".

it is good to mention that just that activity has the problem and other activities on that post are OK.

I think it must be changed.

Cheers

YSobhdel

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:07 PM

Answers

• This might be "By Design". Can you link to the article?

The way the design works (and is intended to) is that your activity won't reflect the new name unless the activity takes place after the new name came into existence. This should be the same for Forum titles and Wiki titles (and the rest).

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:23 PM
    Owner

All replies

• This might be "By Design". Can you link to the article?

The way the design works (and is intended to) is that your activity won't reflect the new name unless the activity takes place after the new name came into existence. This should be the same for Forum titles and Wiki titles (and the rest).

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:23 PM
    Owner
  • Yes I can link to the post,

But I think this should not be by design, say I am a newbie (which I am ;)) and I just post a question with a wrong title, a moderator comes in and edits the post (I don't know if it is possible in microsoft forums) I think it is better to update the activities history totally and not only from that point on.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. 

YSobhdel

Saturday, April 21, 2012 6:08 AM
  • Understood. I think the argument would be...

1. You create a Wiki article or post a forum thread.

2. Moderator changes the name.

3. You can't even find it anymore. It's gone to you, because all the links to it now have a different name.

Sounds potentially problematic and confusing. From that perspective, it might make sense that something is called what it was called when you made that edit or reply.

Thanks!

Monday, April 23, 2012 5:33 PM
    Owner
  • Perhaps a solution can be:

Asked a question in the 'New Title' (formerly known as "Original Title")

Btw, I found a new bug:

When I highlighted the above and made it bold, I had no way to make the rest of the text in normal font. I had to manually fix HTML to get rid of "boldness".

This is not what I intended to say with my BTW, I wanted to say, that if the moderator splits the thread, the Activity still points to the old topic and there is no message from the user. Perhaps when the moderator splits a thread, a new activity needs to be added - the thread 'Such and such was split by the moderator and the post was moved to a "New Thread". Otherwise there is no way to find that thread (I don't know if the OP can still find it in "My Threads"), but the other person looking at the OP's profile can not find it.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Friday, June 1, 2012 1:22 AM