Budget in Sunset does not recognize Credit Card transactions. RRS feed

• Question

• I recently and successfully transferred all old MS Money 2005 files from my old Vista PC to my new Windows 8.1 PC running Money Sunset. Everything is working well......almost.

Today I checked my 2013 budget. It was all screwed up. Found that no credit card charges were available. I created a new "auto-budget" within Sunset but credit card transactions are still not recognized. Since so many expenses are paid with plastic it makes the budget useless. I s there any solution to this? Anyone else had the same problem?

• Edited by Riptide99 Wednesday, November 20, 2013 5:30 PM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 5:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Cal,

I really just use the budget as a way to check on certain things during the year. It is (was) a good place to get a quick overview of YTD totals by category. If I can't get it working properly I guess I can get by - nuisance though.

Mike

• Marked as answer by Riptide99 Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:34 PM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:53 AM
  • Hi Cal,

I really just use the budget as a way to check on certain things during the year. It is (was) a good place to get a quick overview of YTD totals by category. If I can't get it working properly I guess I can get by - nuisance though.

Mike

Ahhh... I suggest you use Reports!!!

Click Customize, and set the date, and all manner of things to your liking. The Transactions by Category will be a good one to start with. If you get one you like, you Add it to your favorite reports. Make sure you are using "Advanced Reports".

For some extra things, you can right-click and choose Copy. Paste into a spreadsheet.

• Marked as answer by Riptide99 Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:35 PM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:01 AM
  • I tried all those things, one can set compatibility modes back to XP, and I also deleted and reinstalled MS Sunset but the budget function still doesn't recognize my credit card account. I'll do as Cal suggested and rely on the reports in future.

My thanks to you and Cal for the suggestions.

Mike

Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:34 PM

All replies

• Go to Tools>Budget Settings> Change Your Budget Settings> Select Budget Accounts.

Are the credit card accounts checked?  If not, add them and see if that gives what you want.

You should also check to see that you are using the "Advanced Budget" if you need the detailed tracking provided by that option.

Let us know if that works of if you need further assistance.

Bill Becker

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:29 PM
  • Thanks for the ideas Bill but I have been using MS Money for 15 years. I am using the Advanced Budget, always have. When I found the problem today I did take those steps. I actually cleared all accounts and then checked my budget under "current year". The budgeted amounts were all there but as expected, the actual amounts, were all blank. I then added just the Credit Card Account but the 'actual' column still remained blank. When I added my checking account and my cash account (i.e. my wallet) all those 'actuals' showed up. For some reason the credit card expenses are not being attached by the budget. All my credit card transactions for the year are all present and correct. I think I am reasonably well versed in the product but if you have any other ideas they will be appreciated. Does it the budget work correctly for you in the Sunset Version?  

Regards, Mike

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:00 PM
  • Mike,

Yes, in my budget the credit card account transactions all show up as expected.  I am using US  Money Sunset on Windows 7 x64 and I had no difficulty when I converted from Money 2007 a few years back.

That said, as you probably know, based on your years of experience with Money, that the budget does not always do what you might expect.  If you haven't done so already, I would try:

- a Quick File Repair, and if that didn't help

- a Standard File Repair.  Because the Standard File Repair will delete your reports, be sure to try that on a copy of your mny file so that you can go back if it doesn't solve the problem

It might also be worthwhile to create a new budget and see if that budget behaves properly.

One other possibility is some weird incompatibility with Windows 8.1.  Maybe another user can comment.

Bill Becker

Bill Becker

Thursday, November 21, 2013 3:04 AM
  • http://umpmfaq.info/qselect.php may have something relevant... I don't have anything particular in mind.

Since you are experienced, I am confident that you know that using a credit card to buy something is a budget event, but paying your credit card bill is a transfer of money to an account, so does not represent spending money.

I don't use budgeting myself. I do successfully download credit card transactions for one of my 2 cards via PocketSense.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 3:25 AM
  • I'm in Canada so I am probably using the same version of Sunset as you. I did try both repair options. The standard repair log said that it found no problems to correct. I also went into "Change Account Settings". There I found something interesting. In the first section "General Information" there is a check box 'Include this account in the budget planner'. For all my accounts I can check or uncheck that box. In my Visa account it won't allow me to uncheck that box. As you suggest it may be an issue with 8.1 compatibility. (I also can't make Flash Player work - but that's gotta be a different forum). Anyway as MS is not providing any support that won't get corrected. Maybe I can set it to run in a compatibility mode for an earlier version of Windows. Don't know if that can be done in 8.1. I'll take a look and let you know if it comes to anything.

Mike

Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:49 AM
  • Hi Cal,

Mike

• Marked as answer by Riptide99 Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:34 PM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:53 AM
  • Hi Cal,

Mike

Ahhh... I suggest you use Reports!!!

Click Customize, and set the date, and all manner of things to your liking. The Transactions by Category will be a good one to start with. If you get one you like, you Add it to your favorite reports. Make sure you are using "Advanced Reports".

For some extra things, you can right-click and choose Copy. Paste into a spreadsheet.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:01 AM
  • I tried all those things, one can set compatibility modes back to XP, and I also deleted and reinstalled MS Sunset but the budget function still doesn't recognize my credit card account. I'll do as Cal suggested and rely on the reports in future.

My thanks to you and Cal for the suggestions.

Mike

Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:34 PM