Firewall and Anti-Virus RRS feed

• Question

• I'm curious about what software people are using to security their WHS installations.  I've searched the forums and the Internet in general and can't find much info.  I use ZoneAlarm on my deskop and laptop, but  it won't install on WHS.  Are you all relying solely on your hardware router/firewall or using any type of software product?  Since my WHS is connected to a "dumb" switch, which in turn is connected to my DSL modem/router/firewall, I need to secure it: I haven't relied on my router firewall for security, but use my desktop software firewalls instead. 

Your thoughts?  Is the WHS implementation of Windows Firewall good enough?

Friday, January 25, 2008 11:45 PM

Answers

• You can install any Firewall / AV that is designed for Windows 2003 server. However most of them will not work nicely with WHS and they will not integrate with the WHS console. At the moment only AVAST has a WHS version which integrates nicely with the WHS console and which was purpose built. You can download free trial from the AVAST website

Friday, January 25, 2008 11:49 PM

All replies

• You can install any Firewall / AV that is designed for Windows 2003 server. However most of them will not work nicely with WHS and they will not integrate with the WHS console. At the moment only AVAST has a WHS version which integrates nicely with the WHS console and which was purpose built. You can download free trial from the AVAST website

Friday, January 25, 2008 11:49 PM
  •  

I agree with your comments here...

Got WHS installed successfully and communicating over a 5-client network with Mercury Mail Server and then I trawled the internet for hours, downloaded about 8 different software trials designed for Server 2003 etc but can only find the Avast WHS compatible with WHS - Extremely frustrating!

Am I to assume that all you WHS users out there just using the WHS Windows Firewall? I know you're not all using the Mail add-on's etc but surely Microsoft could recommend a few vendors for a few more WHS internet security suites - Even the ones specifically designed for Server 2003, Exchange and higher have a number of 'issues' with WHS!!!

Any advice is more than appreciated...

EvanFive...

Saturday, May 31, 2008 6:19 PM
  • There is also the F-Secure beta for a Virus product. Plus, Bit Defender have just announced a beta.

As of yet, these are the only products available ( with Avast) that are specifically designed to work with WHS.

As more units are sold, I'm sure others will be entering the market.

Colin

Saturday, May 31, 2008 7:02 PM
  • If you run a good Anti-Virus software on the working drive why do you need to run Anti-Virus software on the WHS backup drives?

Thanks!
    Sunday, June 1, 2008 4:32 AM
  • I don't see any reason why to run a firewall..  You aren't using the server to surf the web or run programs...  Anti virus is also only needed if people are uploading files to your server, if your client pc's have good protection.  But that's just my 2 cents.

Sunday, June 1, 2008 4:38 AM
  • Thanks Bill and Enchanter...

My server setup is a bit more complex than just for uploading files and back-ups... Due to the number of individual clients, I want to implement the following over Gigabit Ethernet:

Secure back-up and storage

SMTP/POP3 mail system

Media Centre

Secure Remote Access

There are a host of other things too that I want to have a look at and being more familiar with Server 2003 from which WHS is based, the last thing I want to do is leave my door open for a hacker to look at mine, or anyone else's files etc. A server system, particularly a Windows based one is more appealing to an opportunist hacker than a simple standalone PC on the internet. It's like storing all of your family silver in the vault, then locking the door but leaving the window open! Apart from that, there would be nothing worse than having a virus or bot on the server - I've read some nightmare stories about people being blocked from their ISP as they never knew the server was running a bot-based mail spammer from their WHS machine.

I've got Avast! 4.7.74 up and running now which doesn't seem to interfere too much so I'll run with this for the time being rather than shell out for a standalone Ethernet firewall which sits on the network between the router and the switch.

Cheers again.

Evanfive

Sunday, June 1, 2008 9:57 AM
  • Evanfive

Just a word of caution - even though WHS is built on W2003 there are a lot of W2003 functionality that will break WHS, so be careful!

Andrew

Sunday, June 1, 2008 10:18 AM
  • I use Moon Secure Antivirus.  Open source -  from the link site

Moon Secure Antivirus aims to be the best Free Antivirus for Windows under GPL license. It offers multiple scan engines, Net shield, Firewall, On access, on Exec scanner and rootkits preventions plus features from Commercial Antivirus applications.

Moon Secure AV is an opensource antivirus currently using the clamav engine due to fast response time and huge AV database, however we are implementing another engine that is heuristic and will allow users to customize the engine on the fly.

Unlike clam it has an enterprise level real-time scanner. It is built for windows and will run on XP and vista. It can scan portable drives and fixed drives. It is able to detect viruses, Trojans and spyware.

Size / OS:

15.2 MB, Windows XP/2003/Vista

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Moon-Secure-Antivirus.shtml

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 2:08 AM