HP MediaSmart data recovery RRS feed

• Question

• Good Day,

My HP MediaSmart fails to boot with a flashing blue light on the rhs. I am unable to "get in" to the system at all, nothing shows up in network. This happened yesterday after working perfectly the night before. I am assuming the operation disc/system is corrupt somehow.

The most important thing is recovery of data from the 4 hard drives, 3x1TB and 1x2TB. The first two came with the server the other two I've added over the last few years. The MediaSmart runs with WHS 2003 edition.

I removed a drive from my PC (there are 4) and replace it with drive 2 from the server, one of the original ones. By the way I'm using windows 7. It wasn't recognised and I went to computer management/disk management and gave it a disk name (F) but it wants to format the drive to look at the file or even use chkdsk. The server drive was 1TB whereas the PC drive I removed was 2TB. Also, I removed the jumper from the connection pins 7/8, which as you know  is necessary on modern drives.

Does this mean that server drive is corrupt? Is there any other way to see what is on the disc?

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 10:50 AM

All replies

• It certainly sounds like it!. Have a look at this FAQ to see if it helps:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f/how-to-recover-data-after-server-failure?forum=whsfaq

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 12:58 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Phil. I've read that link many times and indeed was the reason for my post.

So, in summary, if I load the disk I mentioned into my PC and it is not recognised it means the drive is kaput and I can't recover anything from it?

I shall try the other 3 drives tomorrow and see what happens.

As an aside, the company in the UK I bought the server from didn't provide a Recovery disc. I've download the Windows Home Server Home Computer Restore CD, an ISO file, but damned if I can burn it to get a bootable disk. Any ideas?

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 2:21 PM