WHS2011 Server Backup Via Symantec Backup Exec 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone.

I am a first time user of WHS 2011 so I apologize as this has probably been asked dozens of times before.  I am just about to install & startup my system for the first time.  Before I do I am trying to plan out the best configuration for the system.  Unfortunately the only drives I have available for my project are a 750GB and two 500GB drives.  I would invest in dual TB drives but due to the recent market situation the price of drives is going sky high, so I'll work with what I have on hand at the moment.  I was hoping to perform my WHS 2011 "server system" backups  to a WD World Book network drive.  Researching here on the board I see that is not a possibility within WHS2011.   I have a copy of Symantec Backup Exec 2010 x64 that is designed for "SBS server 2010" systems.   I wanted to see if anyone has used this solution to backup their server install to a network NAS drive.  Or more importantly, does anyone know if this is even possible?

Thanks so much for the advice.

Randy

Friday, December 16, 2011 5:03 PM

Answers

• Thanks guys.  I may just give it a test shot after I complete the WHS2011 install into the hardware.  Better to experiment now before I bring it live to the other home PC's.  I'm hoping that it will work since this SBE server edition works with the framework that WHS2011 is based on.  My company's IT director thinks that it should.  But I'm a newbie so it will be all new to me.   

Thanks again.

• Marked as answer by RBMTS Monday, December 19, 2011 4:31 PM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 7:13 PM

All replies

• Oops, misread your question. I don't believe there is a way of backing up WHS2011 to a Network drive! Local external drives are the recommendation.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, December 16, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Backing up to a network location: The Windows Home Server 2011 dashboard doesn't support this, but the underlying technology (Server Backup) does. However, the only backup you can do to a network location is a complete backup; incremental backups aren't available.

Symantec Backup Exec: is probably not supported by Symantec on Windows Home Server 2011. (Obviously it's not going to be supported by Microsoft.) I don't think there would be any trouble with getting it to work, however. Whether it can back up to a network location or not is a quesiton for Symantec to answer.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Friday, December 16, 2011 5:37 PM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 5:36 PM
  • Thanks guys.  I may just give it a test shot after I complete the WHS2011 install into the hardware.  Better to experiment now before I bring it live to the other home PC's.  I'm hoping that it will work since this SBE server edition works with the framework that WHS2011 is based on.  My company's IT director thinks that it should.  But I'm a newbie so it will be all new to me.   

Thanks again.

• Marked as answer by RBMTS Monday, December 19, 2011 4:31 PM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 7:13 PM