none
MCC label is missing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

Just noticed that MCC label is missing from my profile and several other people. Wondering why is that, I've been very active in many forums as usual before that forums re-design.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, July 4, 2013 6:30 PM

Answers

• They do not advertise the criteria they use for the MCC award, so we can only guess. The only statistic we can view per month or quarter is total points. Points includes Gallery and Wiki, but in your case most of your points are for forums activity. I believe I have more points recently for Wiki activity because I published articles longer, so they have had time to accumulate more views.

When I compare your points with mine: you had 7510 points first quarter 2013, 9637 points in the second quarter. I had 5761 points first quarter, 9279 in the second quarter. If we could subtract out Wiki and Gallery points, I suspect your lead over me would be larger. We both had MCC first quarter, I have MCC second quarter.

There must be something other than forum points (most of which are for answers) to account for this. I wonder if the MCC is awarded in areas, like MSDN, TechNet, SQL Server, Directory Services, Windows Server. Maybe they want a certain number in each area.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:33 PM
  • I assure you Naomi that whether you voice critical views of the MSDN/TechNet Forums design or not, it would not impact your status in any of these programs. 

Periodically the forums team updates affiliation information in our profile database based on decisions made by the teams who administer the MCC and MVP programs.  Those teams make their decisions, and handle their communication with community members, completely independently of the Forums team.

Monday, July 22, 2013 7:03 AM
  • I have provided what I consider a clear answer on the mechanics of why you don't see the MCC affiliation next to your name in the Forums.  The answer is you do not currently have MCC status. For individuals who have MCC and MVP status those affiliations are being displayed accurately. So from that perspective the Profile and Recognition system (i.e., the software) is working by design.

I believe @Richard Mueller answered the other part of your question, which is how to contact the team that determines who has MCC status during a given period.  It appears you've done that and have communication flowing with them.  If you remain unsatisfied with their answers I would suggest that email remains your best avenue for getting clarification on any remaining questions.  This forum is not intended for questions on the affiliation programs themselves.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:24 PM

All replies

• Perhaps email MCCGA@Microsoft.com, and ask.

Sunday, July 7, 2013 5:45 PM
  • Oddly enough, I have the MCC this week, and have received no email.

I've sent email to MCCGA@Microsoft.com, and will see what they say.

However, it would be remiss of me to not point out that "This forum is for discussions and questions regarding profiles and our recognition system on the MSDN and TechNet sites. It is not for products/technologies. Also the MVP and MCC award programs are out of scope for this forum."

I notice that Ed does not provide an alternative though ;)

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

My Blog: http://unlockpowershell.wordpress.com
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ("6B61726C6D69747363686B65406D742E6E6574"-split"(?<=\G.{2})",19|%{[char][int]"0x$_"})

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 2:21 PM
  • I still have MCC, but I never saw an email either. I thought there was talk of changing the program again, but maybe that was old news.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 4:45 PM
  • I think the Indonesian thing may be my fault - I was trying to direct an Indonesian to their correct forums on a different thread, and it seems to have stuck :(

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

My E-mail: -join ("6B61726C6D69747363686B65406D742E6E6574"-split"(?<=\G.{2})",19|%{[char][int]"0x$_"})

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 5:20 PM
  • I got a response to my inquiry about the missing email from the MCC award:

Hi Karl,

There was a problem with the process, and the invite codes were delayed.

We apologize for the confusion. You should see an invite mail in the next few days.

Thank you for your outstanding participation!

Karl

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:16 PM
  • I still got nothing to my inquiry. If you have some communication with the people, can you please ask them there are the MCC labels for many people who deserve them? In T-SQL forum it's me, Tom Cooper, Kalman Toth, RSignh. In SQL Server XML forum it's wBob. You may also ask if the policy in regards to MSFT employees changed.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:43 PM
  • I think this was what made me think the program was under review again:

http://gokanx.wordpress.com/2013/05/26/the-microsoft-community-contributor-award-is-changing-again/

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:15 PM
  • I still have MCC, but I never saw an email either. I thought there was talk of changing the program again, but maybe that was old news.

I received my email yesterday....

Karl

Friday, July 12, 2013 1:51 PM
  • I still got nothing to my inquiry. If you have some communication with the people, can you please ask them there are the MCC labels for many people who deserve them? In T-SQL forum it's me, Tom Cooper, Kalman Toth, RSignh. In SQL Server XML forum it's wBob. You may also ask if the policy in regards to MSFT employees changed.

My blog

My TechNet articles

I have passed this along, and will let you know if I get an answer.

Karl

Friday, July 12, 2013 1:51 PM
  • I just got my email, informing me I am MCC, late yesterday. I found it in Junk folder.

Friday, July 12, 2013 3:56 PM
  • I assure you Naomi that whether you voice critical views of the MSDN/TechNet Forums design or not, it would not impact your status in any of these programs. 

Periodically the forums team updates affiliation information in our profile database based on decisions made by the teams who administer the MCC and MVP programs.  Those teams make their decisions, and handle their communication with community members, completely independently of the Forums team.

Monday, July 22, 2013 7:03 AM
  • Here is the answer I finally received which doesn't explain anything:

Hi Naomi,

The MCC award on MSDN and Technet is for 3months, or as long as a member is meeting the bar to earn the badge. In July, we updated the badges, and you did not earn one that time around.

Thank you for your work in the forums,

~MCC Emily

-------------

Now, in April, May, and till the forum's update I participated in the forums with the same quantity as normal for me, e.g. answering ~5+ questions per day (confirmed answers) and replying in ~20+ threads. In addition, I started to devote more time to TechNet WiKi. So, until the Forum's Update after which my participation in my favorite forum, unfortunately, went down, I was doing as I normally do. So, is 5+ answers per day not enough to meet the bar? That's a weird answer which I believe should be expanded.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:24 AM
  • I have provided what I consider a clear answer on the mechanics of why you don't see the MCC affiliation next to your name in the Forums.  The answer is you do not currently have MCC status. For individuals who have MCC and MVP status those affiliations are being displayed accurately. So from that perspective the Profile and Recognition system (i.e., the software) is working by design.

I believe @Richard Mueller answered the other part of your question, which is how to contact the team that determines who has MCC status during a given period.  It appears you've done that and have communication flowing with them.  If you remain unsatisfied with their answers I would suggest that email remains your best avenue for getting clarification on any remaining questions.  This forum is not intended for questions on the affiliation programs themselves.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:24 PM
  • I understand that. The problem is that I do not get satisfactory answer by email. I either get 0 answer or the answer which doesn't explain anything. I found a  few more samples of someone who is extremely helpful in SQL Server forums also not showing the award now. I am talking about Olaf Helper - he answers a lot of questions in the SQL forums. 

So, I am thinking that something got wrong in the last MCC award when many deserving folks somehow ended up without that medal and MSFT employees ended up with medals. I need a person from that MCC team to answer in this thread with clear information about what exactly happened.

I understand it may be not part of what these forums are about, but there is no other way to contact the responsible people. The MCC page in Facebook is long dead, e-mail communications seem very scarce and not helpful, FAQ is not helpful either and contains information contradicting with the current state of affairs.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:31 PM
  • They do not advertise the criteria they use for the MCC award, so we can only guess. The only statistic we can view per month or quarter is total points. Points includes Gallery and Wiki, but in your case most of your points are for forums activity. I believe I have more points recently for Wiki activity because I published articles longer, so they have had time to accumulate more views.

When I compare your points with mine: you had 7510 points first quarter 2013, 9637 points in the second quarter. I had 5761 points first quarter, 9279 in the second quarter. If we could subtract out Wiki and Gallery points, I suspect your lead over me would be larger. We both had MCC first quarter, I have MCC second quarter.

There must be something other than forum points (most of which are for answers) to account for this. I wonder if the MCC is awarded in areas, like MSDN, TechNet, SQL Server, Directory Services, Windows Server. Maybe they want a certain number in each area.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:33 PM
  • So this is exactly the point - if 10K per quarter is not enough to gain MCC, then what is enough then? Comparing points only I've done better in the second quarter than in the first.

So, in my case and in case of several people I know from SQL Server forums I see it as some sort of error being done.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:50 PM
  • If that is the case, can I get the answer from that team? I sent them 2 (or 3, don't remember) emails and got 0 response besides the automatic email telling me I am going to get an answer in 2 business days (that never happened). FAQ for this program currently states, that MSFT employees are not eligible for the award, yet starting July many MSFT people show this award. So, either rules have changed but not yet reflected anywhere or there was a major flaw in the last update.

Also, many people who, in my opinion, deserve that award, now do not show it. So, I want to know what exactly happened and why. If you know the person who is the program coordinator (I believe she introduced herself once but I was unable to find that message), can you please ask her to reply in this thread and by my emails?

Thanks.

My blog

My TechNet articles

That team has nothing to do with this forum and is out of scope for this forum. So this thread is answered. If you want to talk to the team, you'll need to bug us in email and Skype, not in a forum that's about profiles. Doug's answers are the correct answers about profiles.

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, October 18, 2013 11:22 PM
    Owner
  • So this is exactly the point - if 10K per quarter is not enough to gain MCC, then what is enough then? Comparing points only I've done better in the second quarter than in the first.

So, in my case and in case of several people I know from SQL Server forums I see it as some sort of error being done.

My blog

My TechNet articles

As Richard mentioned, there could be a criteria that we don't know... like specific forums. They could even change that criteria. They are not telling us this info on purpose. Because it's their award, they can choose to not make the criteria known.

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, October 18, 2013 11:44 PM
    Owner