WHS causes OneNote to corrupt data RRS feed

• Question

• I moved all my OneNote files over to my WHS and spent many hours trying to figure out why OneNote was continually corrupting my OneNote notebooks. I finally moved them back to my other 2003 server and no more corruption. This seems like a very serious bug. It's hard to imagine it's something specific to my setup because it's pretty vanilla I believe. I simply moved the OneNote notebooks to the WHS using the properties|change location feature in OneNote to do it. And then used the same thing to put them back on the 2003 server. Nothing special. Please advise.

Thanks.

Monday, July 23, 2007 6:15 AM

Answers

• AE21 I imagine your running into a issue of multiple users accessing a file and WHS balancing the changes, a sticky situation at best. To test to see if the balancing is the source of your problems try creating a new folder for your OneNote files and turn duplication off and run through a few tests to see if it corrupts. If it does make sure you post the bug in the software forum with a TalQ number.

As a workaound, you could create a folder on a non-whs server and a sync folder on the whs-box and use sync-tool to update the whs copy nightly.

Monday, July 23, 2007 10:17 PM

All replies

• I'm not a OneNote user but I assume it's the same issue with storing PST files on network shares. When OneNote opens a file does it use a temporary lockfile, like Word does?

Monday, July 23, 2007 6:38 AM
  • So is there a solution or a work-around for this kind of problem? Is there more information about why this is a problem for WHS and not for W2003Server?
    Monday, July 23, 2007 2:12 PM
  •  AE21 wrote:
    So is there a solution or a work-around for this kind of problem? Is there more information about why this is a problem for WHS and not for W2003Server?

As I said, I'm not a OneNote user, I'm not sure what it's problem is. The problem with PST files is an Offiice/Outlook problem, not a WHS problem. I can only guess that it could be the same.

Good luck...

Monday, July 23, 2007 5:15 PM
  • I wonder if this IS a function of WHS and it's balancing of folders. ie, if it doesn't recognise what should be a locked file and moves it around on it's disks?

Colin

Monday, July 23, 2007 6:33 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

I wonder if this IS a function of WHS and it's balancing of folders. ie, if it doesn't recognise what should be a locked file and moves it around on it's disks?

Colin

That's why I asked if it uses a lock file, like Word. PST files are also locked, while in use, by Outlook. I recorded a 2.5G TV program to a WHS replicated share without problems but that's another app alltogether. Since I'm not familiar with the setup and requirements of OneNote, I'm behind the curve. If PST files shouldn't be stored on (any) network shares, due to corruption and data loss, then perhaps OneNote has the same issue. If that's the case, it shouldn't matter where the network shares are.

Does turning off replication on that share help?

Monday, July 23, 2007 7:03 PM
  • Good question as to whether turning off replication (I think WHS uses the term duplication) would help. These were stored in a duplicated folder and its balancing thing has been going on for many days (if not weeks--1.2 TB of files). I'll have to find some more energy to try that out sometime but in the meantime that work around would kind of defeat a main purpose I put things there in the first place--in case a drive failed. OneNote is included with Office 2007 (and very cool/useful I have to add). It just makes me wonder how it would get missed in mainstream testing. I would think it would be a show-stopper or at least a critical patch asap. It makes me wonder what other apps might break that keep files open and WHS moves the files around on them, if indeed that is what is happening.

Thanks.

Monday, July 23, 2007 7:33 PM
  •  AE21 wrote:

Good question as to whether turning off replication (I think WHS uses the term duplication) would help. These were stored in a duplicated folder and its balancing thing has been going on for many days (if not weeks--1.2 TB of files). I'll have to find some more energy to try that out sometime but in the meantime that work around would kind of defeat a main purpose I put things there in the first place--in case a drive failed.  OneNote is included with Office 2007 (and very cool/useful I have to add). It just makes me wonder how it would get missed in mainstream testing. I would think it would be a show-stopper or at least a critical patch asap. It makes me wonder what other apps might break that keep files open and WHS moves the files around on them, if indeed that is what is happening.

Thanks.

While I agree about the desire to store it on WHS with replication, if it's not supported, like PST files, then desire is a moot point.

I know it's included in Office but I don't use it and I'm not familiar with it's installation and usage details. The problem is, like with PST files, it may be an Office issue, not a WHS issue. Some things just shouldn't be stored in certain environments. Perhaps the problem with OneNote is different than the one with PST files, I'm just looking for comonalities. You might try creating a new or editing a Word doc on a share and see if it ends up corrupted. You wouldn't have to type accurately. Wink

Monday, July 23, 2007 7:49 PM
  • Just FYI, OneNote was meant to be used on a network--that's part of it's coolness factor. It normally syncs wonderfully, lets you work offline, multi-user stuff built in, etc. It's very cool. We're using it at work for much of our documentation and team collaboration, all on servers. Just none of the servers are WHS, of course. I'm convinced it's a duplication thing that is moving the file behind OneNote's back. I wish I knew the way to make sure Microsoft knew about the issue because I believe they would want it fixed. The PST thing is different entirely. It can't even be shared with the same user without causing corruption. OneNote was built for sharing.

So, any ideas on how to find out if it's supported or not, or if Microsoft knows about the issue or not?

Monday, July 23, 2007 9:55 PM
  • AE21 I imagine your running into a issue of multiple users accessing a file and WHS balancing the changes, a sticky situation at best. To test to see if the balancing is the source of your problems try creating a new folder for your OneNote files and turn duplication off and run through a few tests to see if it corrupts. If it does make sure you post the bug in the software forum with a TalQ number.

As a workaound, you could create a folder on a non-whs server and a sync folder on the whs-box and use sync-tool to update the whs copy nightly.

Monday, July 23, 2007 10:17 PM