Windows live mail password enryption RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a task to rename a lot of windows local users and they all are using windows live mail as mail client.

I wrote some cmd commands to .bat script and tried it on some computers, so username changes but Windows live mail asks for password. It has to be filled up without user interaction.

I have all the passwords in file but don‘t know how to encrypt them and write in the .oeaccount file.

I read that it‘s encrypted with salt, is that salt dependent on username? Where can I find it on a computer?

How is the password encrypted?

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Wednesday, September 13, 2017 9:21 PM This is not "windows live mail" support forum
    Thursday, July 27, 2017 7:20 AM

All replies

• That is not documented but it is likely encrypted with a certificate.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, July 27, 2017 9:34 AM
  • does the certificate changes when you rename username?
    Thursday, July 27, 2017 10:20 AM
  • No, I am pretty sure it is only used to generate the encrypted password.

hen you say Windows Live do you mean for an O365 account or for an MSN or Outlook account?

In those cases the password is generated by the interactive login mechanism of the Windows online system and service. I don't see anywhere where MS has allowed this to be automated. When connecting with Outlook the authentication service pops up its own dialog if the account fails to authenticate or has not been set up.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, July 27, 2017 10:35 AM
  • Sorry, I had in mind "Windows live mail". This mail client is connecting to our mail server and when username is renamed the password is dropped and have to be reentered and I want to automate this process
    Friday, July 28, 2017 4:58 AM
  • The Windows Live logon cannot change cannot be automated.  If you look in the credential vault you will see that it is one of the credentials that, when edited, show the login dialog and not a password.

The user will be prompted for the account and password on next usage when it fails.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, July 28, 2017 8:31 AM
  • I think Windows live and Windows Live Mail are a bit different programs.

There are some Software which decrypt Windows Live Mail password. I analyzed it with "Process Monitor" and saw that it used account file *.oeaccount and "Salt" from registry HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\ and it got the password. But I don't know how it was decrypted, what algorythms.

I'm not sure but I think that after changing username "Salt" changes in registry and that's why encrypted password in *.oeaccount file becomes invalid.

I hope that there is a chance to take a new "Salt" encrypt password and write the encrypted data to *.oeaccount file

Monday, November 20, 2017 1:49 PM