After running sfc and chkdsk now Vista requires "Windows must be reinstalled to activate" RRS feed

• Question

• My daughter's laptop is now presenting the following message when one performs a login:

Title:   Windows must be reinstalled to activate
    Msg:   Insert the Widows installation DVD or CD into your computer to begin the reinstallation process

Text in bottom right hand corner: 
    Windows Vista (TM)
    Build 6000
    This copy of Windows is not genuine.

The laptop is is
    - HP pavilion dv6000 with Vista Home Premium
    - purchased 8/20/2007.

This computer system had been displaying error messages that chkdsk needed to be exectued, but the chkdsk program was not running.  I activited the adiminstrator account and executed the following two commands while logged in to the administrator account
    sfc /scannow
    chkdsk  /F /R

The chkdsk process took many hours to complete.
    Upon performing a system restart I was presented with the message listed above.

I have booted into safe mode and tried to peform a MS system restore, but no restore points had been defined for me to roll back to.

What options do I have other then perform the HP CD Factory Restore?

PSS - I have already removed this laptop's HDD and backed up the files and directories to another HDD via external SATA HDD connections.

Thanks,

Dan Pyper
    Friday, December 28, 2007 9:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Dan,

This is a rare issue (as you can tell by doing a search for "Windows must be reinstalled to activate" on the internet), but I believe we may have found a possible fix.

Another user, that had this same issue, mentioned that if you wait about 15 mins or so, an internet browser would finally pop-up. When this happens for you, please try the below steps:

1) Type %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.

2) Find the file CMD.exe

3) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'

4) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)

5) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

6) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar

7) Type: cd %windir%\system32

8) Type net start slsvc

9) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)

10) Reboot Twice

11) You may be required to Re-Activate. Use the Activate by Phone method outlined below.

To Activate by Phone:

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enterand follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

NOTE: The key to this process is that you need to talk to a Live Activation Rep! When you first call, you will be interacting with an Automated Voice, either select the option to talk to a Live Rep or if there is no option, do not enter any numbers. This should force the automated voice to tansfer you to a Live Rep.

Please tell me if this fixed the issue or not.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

• Proposed as answer by BriFar Monday, November 17, 2008 7:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, November 21, 2008 10:13 PM
    Friday, December 28, 2007 10:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

This is a rare issue (as you can tell by doing a search for "Windows must be reinstalled to activate" on the internet), but I believe we may have found a possible fix.

Another user, that had this same issue, mentioned that if you wait about 15 mins or so, an internet browser would finally pop-up. When this happens for you, please try the below steps:

1) Type %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.

2) Find the file CMD.exe

3) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'

4) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)

5) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

6) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar

7) Type: cd %windir%\system32

8) Type net start slsvc

9) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)

10) Reboot Twice

11) You may be required to Re-Activate. Use the Activate by Phone method outlined below.

To Activate by Phone:

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enterand follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

NOTE: The key to this process is that you need to talk to a Live Activation Rep! When you first call, you will be interacting with an Automated Voice, either select the option to talk to a Live Rep or if there is no option, do not enter any numbers. This should force the automated voice to tansfer you to a Live Rep.

Please tell me if this fixed the issue or not.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

• Proposed as answer by BriFar Monday, November 17, 2008 7:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, November 21, 2008 10:13 PM
    Friday, December 28, 2007 10:34 PM
  • I am not able to execute your suggustion because the internet browser never opened up!!   I let the system sit idle for over an hour.

However, I did reboot and logged into SafeMode with Networking.  Since the OS thinks it is not registered, I help window appeared explaining that I need to register in normal mode (which of course I CAN'T.)  From there, I followed your above instructions, but in SafeMode the License Key service is not running.  As well, when I launched the VBS script I received an error message:  "premission denied."  I assume this was due to running in SafeMode.

I will go back to normal mode and let the system sit idle longer after logging in.    

IS THERE ANY OTHER REMEDY I CAN TAKE to overcome this "FALSE POSITIVE" not genuine copy logic bug?

Thanks,
    Saturday, December 29, 2007 4:15 AM
  • Darin,
    After further searching on the internet I have found another other MS thread that had this similar problem.  Please note that another Microsoft customer posted comments in the following message thread that provide most helpful tips on how to invoke an HTML browser since  in my case and in his, one never did appear.

http://forums.microsoft.com/genuine/showpost.aspx?postid=2393334&siteid=25

WILL YOU PLEASE update your response on this issue to include the following steps so other users can benefit:

If the Internet Browser window never appears, perform the following steps:
    1.  At your initial login prompt, select the "ease of access" icon in lower left corner of the screen before you login.
    2.  Select the "magnifier" option.
    3.  Then login to your account
    4.   There will be a "Magnifirer configuration window".  Select this window and restore this window if it has been minized. Select the help menu, and then select the "browse help" option.
    5   Select the last option "Ask someone or expand your search"
    6.  Select the last option "Windows Online Help and Support" as this will open your default html browser.
    Now one  has "forced" an HTML browser to appear and NOW the remainder of your steps can be followed!

I used these steps (thanks to user named "lmpshd") to get a command prompt open to follow your instructions.

I have now successfully got the "Windows Activiation" window to appear and I am re-activiating my valid and genuine copy of Microsoft Vista that I purchased from HP with my Pavilion Laptop via the "phone option."

Thanks,

• Unmarked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, November 21, 2008 10:12 PM
    Saturday, December 29, 2007 5:48 AM
  • Dan,

Thanks for posting this; I'm glad to know that my solution works for other people as well.

I'll just add one caveat: a side effect of this trick for me was that since I turned on the Magnifier, it now starts automatically every time I restart the computer.  I've not figured out how to stop it from doing this, I just have to manually quit the program after every restart.  It's a minor annoyance.
    Saturday, December 29, 2007 5:21 PM
  • Hi

I have same problem as Dan....

When I login, with 'Windows Vista Home Basic' I too recieve the error "windows must be reinstalled to activate" and inside the error box it prompts me to insert the windows DVD........ nothing happens and have left this running for over an hour with no popup window............ (as some have had this occur after approx 15 mins)

I have also used the other option that is in this thread that appears below with No success....

If the Internet Browser window never appears, perform the following steps:
    1.  At your initial login prompt, select the "ease of access" icon in lower left corner of the screen before you login.
    2.  Select the "magnifier" option.
    3.  Then login to your account
    4.   There will be a "Magnifirer configuration window".  Select this window and restore this window if it has been minized. Select the help menu, and then select the "browse help" option.
    5   Select the last option "Ask someone or expand your search"
    6.  Select the last option "Windows Online Help and Support" as this will open your default html browser.
    Now one  has "forced" an HTML browser to appear and NOW the remainder of your steps can be followed!

I cannot get passed the error box with
    "windows must be reinstalled to activate"

Can anyone please assist?

Thankyou you in advance

Monday, January 7, 2008 4:51 AM
  • Hi,
    Thank you for your posts.
    I would like to add something to it. I did not get Internet Explorer window open after a few mins and the "Ease of Access" icon was not available.
    With the dialog box still open I clicked on the "How Do I re-install Windows" Link.
    Windows help opened up. I searched for Open Internet explorer. 
    The first result was "Open Internet Explorer" Click on it.
    Then I clicked on "Click Here to Open Internet Explorer".
    From then on I followed your instructions.

Thanks again.

hope someone finds the above useful.

Monday, November 17, 2008 7:53 AM
  • hey,
    ive tried the obove posts for a solution. i also tried safe maode several times with no help of getting passed the same error msg. and i couldn't find my vista cd so i tried my sisters dell vista home premium cd. it popped up an internet window! about cd validation but thats not needed. after that i followed the steps darin smith.

hope this helps

lucky as ____

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:24 AM