none
Where is the Offline Reader/Poster Support? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Reading forums online takes ten times as long as doing it offline using a decent reader. 

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 6:38 PM

All replies

•  Every forum has an RSS feed.  You need to go to a thread's page to post a reply but it's easy to quickly scan new posts that way.
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 8:34 AM
  • Check this project.  Haven't tried it.
    Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 1:42 PM
  • We haven't release the web service behind this project yet.  We're currently looking at a few options here and will be updating the community when we have more information on some of our plans.
    Sam Jarawan Social Platform Forums - Senior Development Lead
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Well Sam, after one year into this project, that's not really good news.  I've read the design specs and I think I see the problem.  They are heavy on the client specification and have zero regard for what it takes to get the web service to supply the functionality required to make it happen.  If anything, it is actually asking for features that are not available in the on-line service.  Highly desirable, no doubt, but not that practical to get this project going.

Given that the web service is the bottle-neck, perhaps it is a good idea if you turn this problem upside-down and formulate what is practical to implement.  Throw us a bone and we'll deal with the client side implementation to maximize what's available.  There are a few of you and many of us.

Hans Passant.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 1:41 AM
  • You need to work on getting internal dependencies, in my opinion. If you can get some major part of DevDiv to commit to using whatever your offline or non-html interface is, then you will have others driving your solutions. You won't have to release it publicly, not even through Connect.

Just my strategy suggestion.

TedHoward
    Monday, March 2, 2009 11:23 PM
  • Take a look at NewsHound (http://www.shorelinesoftware.com/newshound.aspx ). I've been using it for a few years to read newsgroups, now it supports these forums too.
    • Edited by vmills43 Thursday, June 25, 2009 10:07 PM
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 10:05 PM
  • Wow, awesome.  That project is closed-source with a cross-your-heart-hope-to-die NDA agreement that MVPs have to honor.  Okay, fess up, who squealed?
    Hans Passant.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 10:47 PM
  • Huh?
    Friday, June 26, 2009 3:55 AM