When to go unmanaged in production? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am looking for some advice from others in regards to solutions. Right now I am working to move my unmanaged solutions  from production into managed solutions by exporting them as unmanaged, bringing them in a dev environment (new org for each solution) and then exporting as managed. There is some amount of cleanup and dependency adjustment as part of that, that part is going well so far. I then plan to reimport them into production as managed (a test of this in a copy of production indicates this works.)

What changes should I still keep in the unmanaged layer of production? Are there those who make ALL their changes only in managed solutions and NEVER touch the unmanaged layer in production? If so, what complications has that introduced. 

My goal is to have a cleaner environment and have all of the solutions that add functionality nicely partitioned and available to bring into dev environments as needed and make our whole development process more robust and organized.

Thanks,

Kevin

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Kevin,

You are on the right track by using managed solution in production. At times people are tempted to make changes quickly so they make the change directly in production but that gets all other environments out of date and more time is spent in making sure environments are in sycn.

It is always best practice to make changes in development so that we can test before any changes are moved to production. In terms of issues, here is the list of them you might face:

1) Deleting field from managed solution is pain. CRM will not allow you to do this it will complain about deleting field as part of managed solution so if there is any deletion fields required, clean-up in the unmanaged solution and then import the same as managed in production.

2) Importing managed solution on top of existing unmanaged solution will not work. CRM will complain and when you are attempting this by deleting just the solution, it might still have few issues. If the tests for the same are positive, it might work well in production.

More information can be found here:

http://www.felinesoft.com/blog/index.php/2013/04/what-are-the-differences-between-managed-and-unmanaged-solutions-in-crm-2011/   

I do not recommend managed in production to enforce tighter change management process. Even though customizations are easier in CRM, change control needs to be tighter to make sure people follow right process in the organisation.

Hope this helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
     Minal Dahiya
    blog : http://minaldahiya.blogspot.com.au/

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Vote as Helpful"

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 9:21 PM