WHS as a Fax Server - Brooktrout TruFax 100 not working? RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a box that has been running SBS2003 for 4+ years.  I recently got a new server for SBS2008 and I turned my old SBS2003 box into a Windows Home Server for imaged-based backup of SBS and other key workstations.  I've been using a Brooktrout TruFax 100 fax board in my SBS2003 box with fantastic success - no drivers or anything, I just plugged it in and haven't had a failed fax in ages. 

My question comes from the fact that my BrookTrout doesn't want to work with WHS.  I installed WHS on the old server hardware, installed the shared fax feature of Server 2003, but no dice - the brooktrout doesn't work.  If I pull up the Fax Service Manager I see under the Providers node a "Brooktrout FSP" with status "Initialization failure: Failed while initializing provider."

What does that mean?  How can I fix that?  The Brooktrout TruFax 100 is on the Windows Hardware list for Server 2003...this same board worked flawlessly in SBS w/no extra drivers...why isn't it working on WHS?  I know shared faxing works in WHS because I've done it (obvisouly in another box with another modem, but still).

Any ideas? 
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 3:43 AM

Answers

• I've got a box that has been running SBS2003 for 4+ years.  I recently got a new server for SBS2008 and I turned my old SBS2003 box into a Windows Home Server for imaged-based backup of SBS and other key workstations.  I've been using a Brooktrout TruFax 100 fax board in my SBS2003 box with fantastic success - no drivers or anything, I just plugged it in and haven't had a failed fax in ages. 

My question comes from the fact that my BrookTrout doesn't want to work with WHS.  I installed WHS on the old server hardware, installed the shared fax feature of Server 2003, but no dice - the brooktrout doesn't work.  If I pull up the Fax Service Manager I see under the Providers node a "Brooktrout FSP" with status "Initialization failure: Failed while initializing provider."

What does that mean?  How can I fix that?  The Brooktrout TruFax 100 is on the Windows Hardware list for Server 2003...this same board worked flawlessly in SBS w/no extra drivers...why isn't it working on WHS?  I know shared faxing works in WHS because I've done it (obvisouly in another box with another modem, but still).

Any ideas? 

First, using your server as a FAX server (or anything else that requires server desktop access) is unsupported.  Having said that, if you really want to do it anyway, you will probably need to contact the manufacturer of the device for assistance (and I would ask if WHS is supported while you're at it).
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 4:36 AM