Sudden problem with license server & WGA? RRS feed

• Question

• Running Vista Home Premium SP1 build 6001.  System has run for 9 months with no issues.  Last week I attempted to upgrade my VMware Workstation installation but it required a reboot after uninstalling the old VMware.  I couldn't reboot at that time and didn't get around to it til today. 

When I tried to complete the installation today, I started getting weird behavior.  E.g. I thought I'd installed VMware but it wasn't available in the Start Menu.  (The VMware folder exists under Program Files but I don't think it's fully populated.)  Tried to open Control Panel to see if VMware was installed, but I couldn't open Control Panel.  Tried rebooting a few times, and after one of those times I got an error when I logged in:  "Windows Activation, code 0xC004E002.  The License Store contains inconsistent data."  Couldn't log in from there.

I booted into Safe Mode and did a System Restore to before the VMware install, and that cleared up the activation error at login.  I can now log in normally but there are still problems, e.g. I still can't open Control Panel.

Did some searching and tried some recommended steps I found here, including:

* Ran "net start slsvc" at an elevated cmd prompt.  Error:  "The Software license Service could not be started.  A system error has occurred.  System error 57346 has occurred."

* Ran "slui.exe 4".  That got a Windows Activation Error:  "A problem occurred when Windows tried to activate.  Error code 0x80070426."

* Ran "cscript %windir%\System32\slmgr.vbs /ilc %windir%\System32\licensing\ppdlic\Security-Licensing-SLC-ppdlic.xrm-ms" in an elevated prompt (intending to reboot twice as described by Carey Frisch) but I got an error:  "C:\Windows\System32\slmgr.vbs(1634, 5) Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Permission denied"

* The Software Licensing service was not running.  Tried to start, could not start, error 0xc004e002.

* The SL UI Notification service was not running.  Tried to start.  It started and immediately exited, AND I got an "unauthorized change was made to Windows" error.  "You will no longer receive notifications, including those about your license or activation."

* I see people posting output from some diagnostic but I can't find where it is.  All I found was http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/ and my system passed that, but that's not what other people are posting.  Where is it?

Help!!!
    Gary

Monday, March 30, 2009 9:30 PM

Answers

• Darin, your friend Dave did indeed contact me, and we spent many hours trying many many things.  He finally threw in the towel and said I'd have to do an "upgrade install" of Vista, which preserves my data but otherwise torches the system.  Since I had already backed up all my data, I told him it would be faster to use the OEM-provided "restore to factory condition" process and then restore my data.  It's re-installing now.

Dave's best guess was that something -- possibly disk trouble? -- caused file corruption that none of his techniques could fix.  One time running chkdsk /f I saw an error (incorrect bitmap or something similar) that indicated it had mixed up its map of free/busy blocks on the disk, but subsequent repeated chkdsk's didn't turn up any problems.  I ran memtest86+ for half an hour with no problems so it doesn't seem to be a RAM issue.  (I'll run it overnight to give it a real workout.)

Thanks for your help, Darin!  Re-installing wasn't what I wanted, but at least this way I knew it was my only alternative.
    Gary
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, April 15, 2009 10:20 PM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 9:10 PM

All replies

• Hi garyfritzz,

It appears your Vista is experiencing (what we call) the Software Licensing Service has stopped (and will not restart) issue.  We found that there are subcatigories of this issue based on the erro messge you get when you attemp to restart the service (using the Net Start Slsvc command). 

We have confirmed that System Error 2 and 3 are caused by a Registry Cleaner program that deletes the entry that tells Viste where the slsvc.exe file, is located (it's the file that controles the Software Licensing Service).  Unfortunatly, we do not know what is causing the "System Error 57346" veriation.  We Think it may be from a Malware infection or possibly another Registry Cleaner issue.

So what I would like you to do is

1) Download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue" click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

2) Scan your system using the Anti-Virus program of your choice, as well as scan using the Microsoft Safety Scan for Vista http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm  It can sometimes find things that other do not.

3) Tell me if you are using (or have used) a Registry Cleaner program recently

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Monday, March 30, 2009 11:18 PM
  • Thanks Darin,

1) WGA Diagnostics output below.
    2) I run Avira Antivir and it hasn't turned up anything in its scans.  The MS Live scanner ran for many hours, and said it found 3 "issues" and removed one severe problem -- but I think that was only an EICAR virus test file.  Unfortunately IE7 crashed while I was looking at the results so I'm not sure exactly what it found.  Maybe I'll run it again tonight, but it took something like 6-8 hours to complete.
    3) I've never run a registry cleaner on this computer.

Gary

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: 0x80070426
    Cached Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0x80070426
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-27HYQ-XTKW2-WQD8Q
    Windows Product Key Hash: U8YEZzymoD4DMyaMb32rPrNIS90=
    Windows Product ID: 89578-OEM-7332157-00061
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003
    ID: {97DA564B-4B3F-4254-8E7A-897B82EF25A1}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 6.0.6002.16398

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 114 Blocked VLK 2
    Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2007 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.7.111.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{97DA564B-4B3F-4254-8E7A-897B82EF25A1}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-WQD8Q</PKey><PID>89578-OEM-7332157-00061</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3821682332-2191144103-2237639264</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC    </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>F.2C    </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20080324000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>42303507018400FE</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Mountain Standard Time(GMT-07:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>HPQOEM</OEMID><OEMTableID>SLIC-MPC</OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57649</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{90120000-0051-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>409E2F9AEA96586</Val><Hash>/feh+iuGn1ddW8Q68tCY7MLcj+Y=</Hash><Pid>89405-707-1253102-63596</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="53" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Software Licensing service is not running.

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: QAAAAAIABwABAAEAAgABAAAAAwABAAEAeqgCMGDuTjR2G7zjIL6ABIjMBpiYYAjFRCzy9N6IptXG69TRrFZ4qg==

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes
    Windows marker version: 0x20000
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value
      APIC   PTLTD     APIC 
      FACP   NVIDIA  MCP67-M
      SRAT   AMD     HAMMER 
      HPET   PTLTD   HPETTBL
      BOOT   PTLTD   $SBFTBL$
      MCFG   PTLTD     MCFG 
      TCPA   Phoeni  x     
      SSDT   PTLTD   POWERNOW
      SLIC   HPQOEM  SLIC-MPC

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 12:27 PM
  • Hi garyfritzz,

Unfortunatly, I don't, currently, know how to fix your issue.  I do, however, have some options for you (and their Pros and Cons).  But first some background on the issue.  

As you probably notice, we are seeing more of the "The Software Licensing Service has stopped (and won't restart)" issue recently. Although the Software Licensing Service is part of the WGA sub-system, the process for starting and stopping services fall under Core Vista system and would normally be supported by Vista Support. But since this issue is directly affecting the Genuine status of our users, I want to get to the bottom of why this is happening and how to fix it.

As I metioned, we have found that we can categorize the issue into sub-issues by the error message the user gets when he/she tries to restart the Service. We currently know the reason (and the fix) for the "System Error 3" and "System Error 2" types, but we don't have even a rudimentary understanding of what's could be causing the "System Error 57346" type.   Since others users, that had this type, had also a Registry Cleaner program installed, we thought that could be the cause, but since you do not, that disproves that therory. We had also thought maybe a Virus (or some other malware) was involved, since recent malware have taken to disableing various Windows Services (such as Windows Update and such).  This is still a viable therory, except it is very hard to confirm if a user, in fact, has a Malware infection.

This brings me to the options I mentioned.

1) You can create a Service Request, post the Confirmation Number in this post, and I will have my Engineer troubleshoot the issue.

~The goals of this option would to first, find out as much information on this variation of the issue as possible and then try to fix the issue on your computer.

Pro: You would be helping us understand and develop a fix for this issue.
    Con: It make take longer to finally resolve you issue.

2) You can go to http://support.microsoft.com and contact Vista support for assistance. 

~The goal of this option would be solely to resolve your issue.

Pro: Probably faster resolution. Hopefully without reinstalling Vista.
    Con: Since you are using a Retail copy of Vista, you may still be within the free support period, but if not, the support would, most likely, cost.

3) You could reinstall Vista.

~The goal of this option is to get you resolved as quickly as possible.

Pro: Fastest resolution
    Con: Having to backup all your importent files, reinstalling all your applications, resetting all your setting back to the way you want them and all the other unpleasant tasks involved with reinstalling..

If you decide on Option 1, let me know, go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029, create the SR and post the confirmation number and I will get the ball rolling with my engineer.

If you decide on one of the other options, good luck and please accept my apologies for me not being able to help resolve the issue for you.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, March 31, 2009 10:24 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by garyfritzz Monday, April 13, 2009 9:04 PM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 6:55 PM
  • Hi Darin,

I definitely want to avoid reinstalling Vista if at all possible.

I'm willing to work with your engineer.  The Support Request number is 1098206370, title is "Windows Activation problem, Vista, error# 57346."  I'm not at the number in that SR for the next few days, so email is the best way to reach me.

Thanks for your help!
    Gary
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 9:51 PM
  • Hi Gary,

Ok, I have updated the Engineer's worrk list with your SR#. He will take over your SR and contact you as soon as he is able.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 10:24 PM
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Out of curiosity I just tried running "net start slsvc" again.  "The Software Licensing Service was started successfully."  !!  No error 57346!

However it seems the service immediately stops.  Is it supposed to do that?

"slui.exe 4" still produces a Windows Activation error, code 0x80070426.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 10:29 PM
  • Hi Gary,

No, I have seen that once before and it makes me very nervous.  It would be one thing if the Service crashed (or errored out some how) after you restarted it, but having it just re-stop without an error, suggests to me that something is actively turning off the service. 

Unfortunately, the other user that this happened to never posted back after I suggested he scan using the Safety Scan for Vista. So I have no idea if the scan fixed it, if he reinstalled or something unrelated fixed the issue.

While you are waiting for my Engineer, I suggest re-trying the Safety Scan (I know it takes long time to scan) just in case.

Also, would you see if you have any restore points further back in history and see if you can get to a point before the issue occured?

Darin

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:06 PM
  • Hm.  OK, I checked my restore points and restored to the oldest one I had, which was last Friday.  I think that's after I did the initial "uninstall" of the old version of VMware.

After restoring to that restore point, I checked Control Panel.  The window now displays, but nothing displays in the Control Panel -- just a link for Classic View, which doesn't do anything.  I remember now that it acted like this before Control Panel became totally un-runnable.

I tried "net start slsvc" again and I'm back to error 57346.

I installed a Java update (which I did at about the same time I started the VMware update) and now Control Panel exits without displaying anything but an empty window frame.  Don't know if Java caused that or if it would have happened anyway.

I will run the scanner again tonight and see what it finds.
    Gary
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 2:07 AM
  • I ran the scanner again.  This time it found no viruses or other threats.  Apparently it removed the EICAR test file the first time.  The first time it found 3 "issues" but it didn't find anything this time.  This time I got it through the clean-up step so it cleaned out the registry.  No improvement.  I'm back to being able to start slsvc, but it exits immediately.

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 1:23 PM
  • Not sure how to get added to this discussion, but i have all of the same issues. Except a brand new machine that I have spent two days installing things on. Almost finished installing things and now have slsvc start and then stop, with the same missing control panel. May I ask where is the Safety Scan ?
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 4:03 PM
  • It's up in an earlier response:

> 2) Scan your system using the Anti-Virus program of your choice, as well as scan using the Microsoft Safety Scan for Vista
    > http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm  It can sometimes find things that other do not.

This thread got marked as "answered" but so far I don't have a resolution.
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 6:30 PM
  • Hi Gary,

I mark the thread an answered because you created a SR and the issue should be transfered to my Engineer.  Has he contacted you?

Darin 
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 7:14 PM
  • Nope.  I got two automated "we'll contact you soon" messages, but that's it.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 2:35 PM
  • I received an email from a support engineer shortly after that last post.  She told me to do a "slui 4," which I'd already done.  I did it again as she suggested and responded back within 15 minutes telling her what happened.  Nothing else so far.
    Monday, April 6, 2009 8:12 PM
  • Update, just to document the process:  I just heard back from the Microsoft engineer.  She suggested I try applying a registry patch (see below) and rebooting.  No change.  Then I was supposed to start the Software Licensing service, which got the same error I reported in my first post above.  So my system is still crippled.

Gary

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\slsvc]
    "DisplayName"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\SLsvc.exe,-101"
    "Group"="ProfSvc_Group"
    "ImagePath"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,\
      74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,53,\
      00,4c,00,73,00,76,00,63,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,00,00
    "Description"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\SLsvc.exe,-100"
    "ObjectName"="NT AUTHORITY\\NetworkService"
    "ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
    "Start"=dword:00000002
    "Type"=dword:00000010
    "DependOnService"=hex(7):52,00,70,00,63,00,53,00,73,00,00,00,00,00
    "ServiceSidType"=dword:00000001
    "RequiredPrivileges"=hex(7):53,00,65,00,41,00,75,00,64,00,69,00,74,00,50,00,72,\
      00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,43,00,68,00,\
      61,00,6e,00,67,00,65,00,4e,00,6f,00,74,00,69,00,66,00,79,00,50,00,72,00,69,\
      00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,43,00,72,00,65,00,\
      61,00,74,00,65,00,47,00,6c,00,6f,00,62,00,61,00,6c,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,\
      00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,49,00,6d,00,70,00,65,00,\
      72,00,73,00,6f,00,6e,00,61,00,74,00,65,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,\
    "FailureActions"=hex:80,51,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,14,00,00,\
      00,01,00,00,00,c0,d4,01,00,01,00,00,00,e0,93,04,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 2:00 PM
  • Darin, if you're still following this thread:  HELP!!!

I got two responses from the support engineer, and then she said she was turning me over to a higher-level support person.  That's great.  But in the meantime, my laptop is now DEAD.  I rebooted over the weekend, and now Windows does not allow me to log in!!  I attempt to log in, and it says "there is a problem" and kicks me back to the login page.  I'm borrowing my wife's laptop to post this and check email.

If necessary I can boot a Linux CD to extract my files from the laptop, but I want that laptop back!!!  Can you please escalate this issue so I get some help from somebody who can fix the problem??  It's been going on for nearly two weeks now!

Thanks,
    Gary

Monday, April 13, 2009 1:34 PM
  • Hello Gary,

You should be able to boot into Safe Mode. Safe Mode should allow your to navigate to your importent files and back them up, off the computer.

As far as ecalation, the engineed and I would be escalating to the same higher-level support person.  I will see if I can get some urgency into that escalation, but if I jumped in with another escalation,  I would just muddy the water and probably slow down the process instead of speed it up.

The only other options, I can provide, are the same as option 2) and option 3) I listed in my second post, above.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:49 AM
  • Safe mode with networking doesn't work, but safe mode without  networking does, so I guess I can at least copy files off to a USB drive.

I bought the laptop on 3/10/08.  So, naturally, it was 3 weeks out of warranty when this problem started happening.  So I guess I get to pay Microsoft to fix this problem that is CLEARLY a bug in Microsoft's code.  Grrrr.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:10 PM
  • Hi Gary,

Please Hold Off on paying for support! I lite a fire light under some people and your issue is now a priority. You should be contacted shortly, if not already, (by phone, if possible) by a person I know personally. He was an expert in Windows before I was even out of high school.  I'm confident he can figure out a resolution.

Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:45 PM
  • Darin, your friend Dave did indeed contact me, and we spent many hours trying many many things.  He finally threw in the towel and said I'd have to do an "upgrade install" of Vista, which preserves my data but otherwise torches the system.  Since I had already backed up all my data, I told him it would be faster to use the OEM-provided "restore to factory condition" process and then restore my data.  It's re-installing now.

Dave's best guess was that something -- possibly disk trouble? -- caused file corruption that none of his techniques could fix.  One time running chkdsk /f I saw an error (incorrect bitmap or something similar) that indicated it had mixed up its map of free/busy blocks on the disk, but subsequent repeated chkdsk's didn't turn up any problems.  I ran memtest86+ for half an hour with no problems so it doesn't seem to be a RAM issue.  (I'll run it overnight to give it a real workout.)

Thanks for your help, Darin!  Re-installing wasn't what I wanted, but at least this way I knew it was my only alternative.
    Gary
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, April 15, 2009 10:20 PM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 9:10 PM
  • Hi gary,

I'm very disappointed. Not only because we couldn't get your issue fixed, but also because if a fix could have been found, others with this issue, wouldn't need to go thru what you have.

Thank you for bearing with us and helping us in trying to solve this problem. I'm just sorry it took us half a month to finally get you to that "only alternative".

Be Well Gary,
    Darin MS
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 10:20 PM
  • Hi Darin,

i've got exact the same problem as gary had. Tried any known fixes but receive System Error 57346 when I try to start the softwarelicensing service. I can (still) log on so far. Are there any new ideas instead of re-installing?

If you need any additional information (it's exactly the same as it was with gary) please let me know.

Best regards,

Felix
    Friday, May 8, 2009 3:23 PM