System event log errors RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Mediasmart EX475 server and have started getting an error in the event log:

CPU temperature is warning, value = 127 degrees C.

The source of the error is:WNAS

After a few seconds, the event log indicates that the temp is normal again.

During this time, the CPU temp on the status page is blank.

Anyone have any ideas? I called HP (lack of)support and they said that the first step in the process was to reload the server (loosing my back-ups, etc.). I believe this is a hardware error and not a software error.

I have asked for a supervisor to call me tomorrow.

UPDATE: 1/16

Well, as I expected, I did not get a call from HP today. I've had HP computers in the past and was never happy with their support.

Anyway, does anyone know where the temp. sensor is? Is it internal to the processor or is it attached externally? Is there a wire that I can wiggle to make sure it isn't a loose connection?

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:46 AM

Answers

• It depends. You have two options when you reload the OS. You can choose a Server Recovery (I think; I tested both options repeatedly when I got my HP, but that was a couple of months ago) which is the same as a Server Reinstallation for someone who has installed the OEM software on their own hardware. It rebuilds the C: partition, and if you're replacing the system drive will rebuild the D: partition as well. You also get a Server Reset option, which restores it to the factory state. Your documentation will assist you in figuring out which option you need. And if you don't get both options, you can always abort the restore temporarily to recover files off the drives onto some other PC on your network.

My recommendation is that when you do this, you disconnect your router from the internet. This will prevent any odd issues arising from your ISP doing something unsavory with DNS. Alternatively, disconnect both the client PC you're going to drive the restore from and the server from your network, then connect them with a switch so they're on their own private network. Most people won't need to take this step (I didn't), but it's a safe and relatively easy thing to do.

Oh, for the recovery option, you shouldn't lose backups. You'll lose users, OS customizations, and add-ins, and you'll have to reconnect your computers, but they should hook right back up to the backups you have.
    Saturday, January 19, 2008 2:10 AM
  • Steve, when you do the rebuild, you should have two options. One is a factory reset; that will restore the server to the state it was in when shipped from the factory, so you'll lose all your files and backups. The other is a server recovery, which should preserve backups and files in your shares. It would be best to copy your files aside jsut in case, but I've done a recovery myself with no data loss.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:07 AM

All replies

• I would call HP back. Tell them that you are getting this error, and you want to exchange your unit for a new one. They may tell you to contact your original vendor (if it wasn't HP). Getting a new unit out of them may be a bit tough; I believe they've been selling better than anticipated.

I believe the temperature sensor is on the CPU die, so having a temp warning appear like that would make me suspect the motherboard. There will be no wires you can wiggle, wherever it is. Even if it's on the MB, it's surface mounted under the CPU so there are no wires, only the traces on the MB.
    Thursday, January 17, 2008 4:12 PM
  • Thanks for the advice Ken. I talk to them (HP) again and they said the only way to troubleshoot the problem was to reload the OS.

One question: Will I loose the data on the server if I do a re-load?

I think I know that I will loose the back-ups and will have to re-create the accounts, and re-connect the clients, but what about the photos, etc.?

Saturday, January 19, 2008 1:34 AM
  • It depends. You have two options when you reload the OS. You can choose a Server Recovery (I think; I tested both options repeatedly when I got my HP, but that was a couple of months ago) which is the same as a Server Reinstallation for someone who has installed the OEM software on their own hardware. It rebuilds the C: partition, and if you're replacing the system drive will rebuild the D: partition as well. You also get a Server Reset option, which restores it to the factory state. Your documentation will assist you in figuring out which option you need. And if you don't get both options, you can always abort the restore temporarily to recover files off the drives onto some other PC on your network.

My recommendation is that when you do this, you disconnect your router from the internet. This will prevent any odd issues arising from your ISP doing something unsavory with DNS. Alternatively, disconnect both the client PC you're going to drive the restore from and the server from your network, then connect them with a switch so they're on their own private network. Most people won't need to take this step (I didn't), but it's a safe and relatively easy thing to do.

Oh, for the recovery option, you shouldn't lose backups. You'll lose users, OS customizations, and add-ins, and you'll have to reconnect your computers, but they should hook right back up to the backups you have.
    Saturday, January 19, 2008 2:10 AM
  • Check to make sure the heat sink and fan assembly are firmly mounted on the CPU.  If the appear to be, remove the assembly and gently rub the heat sink on the processor in a circular motion and re-secure.  Do all of these things with the power cord DISCONNECTED.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 7:41 AM
  • My suggestion: don't disassemble your HP MediaSmart Server if you want to be able to return it under warranty.
    Saturday, January 19, 2008 6:46 PM
  •  Steve D Smith wrote:

Anyway, does anyone know where the temp. sensor is? Is it internal to the processor or is it attached externally? Is there a wire that I can wiggle to make sure it isn't a loose connection?

My understanding was that he'd already determined he was going to open the box, my suggestion was to give him something real to look into.  Often when assembling heat sink/fan combo on processor the heat sink compound does not get distributed evenly or the assembly is not properly latched.  My suggestion should eliminate those two things as a possibility. 

Saturday, January 19, 2008 7:07 PM
  • Thanks Ken, your right, I do not want to remove the heat sink, etc. 

I think the error message may have happened when I ran the cpu-z application on the server. Has anyone else ran the cpu-z utility? If so, have you seen the error in the system event log?

I have backed up all of my data and I will perform the system rebuild if that is what HP thinks is a step toward getting the system replaced. I'll keep you posted.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:24 AM
  • Steve, when you do the rebuild, you should have two options. One is a factory reset; that will restore the server to the state it was in when shipped from the factory, so you'll lose all your files and backups. The other is a server recovery, which should preserve backups and files in your shares. It would be best to copy your files aside jsut in case, but I've done a recovery myself with no data loss.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:07 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Steve, when you do the rebuild, you should have two options. One is a factory reset; that will restore the server to the state it was in when shipped from the factory, so you'll lose all your files and backups. The other is a server recovery, which should preserve backups and files in your shares. It would be best to copy your files aside jsut in case, but I've done a recovery myself with no data loss.

Hello Ken,

I know this is an old thread, but a new issue for me.

HP is sending me a new HP MSS EX470 (minus HDDs) because they feel that I have a hardware problem with my current server.  The problem was discovered after several failed server recoveries.  Initially my problem was that my Backup Service stopped working.

When I receive the new server, how do you think I should proceed to preserve my data on my shared drives?  Do I put all four drives (500GB system & 3 - 1TB Pool) in the new server and do a system recovery?  I don't have an PCs available to place the drives in and copy data.

In addition, I have a 4th 1TB drive that I just picked up pretty cheap.  Is this a good time to upgrade my system drive from 500GB to 1TB, or should I leave the system drive at 500GB and buy a case to use the 1TB drive as an external server backup drive?

SilkRod

Monday, June 16, 2008 6:34 AM
  •  SilkRod wrote:

When I receive the new server, how do you think I should proceed to preserve my data on my shared drives?  Do I put all four drives (500GB system & 3 - 1TB Pool) in the new server and do a system recovery?  I don't have an PCs available to place the drives in and copy data.

SilkRod

My first step would be to move the all drives to the new server in the same positions as they are in the old one.  Do a repair install.  Just to see what happens.

If that fails I think I'd put the new 1 TB drive in place of the 500 GB and try again.  The reason for trying all the drives in their original locations is to prove that the new server fixed all of the problems.

HTH

Monday, June 16, 2008 7:52 PM
  • Silkrod,

Did this finally help solve your issue with the heat being 127? Because I am having the same issue with my server now. I felt the computer itself and it's no where near 127 degrees.

BTW... you have a case number I can refer HP tech to? This might help in my getting a new PC ASAP.

Thanks,

Daniel

Monday, July 28, 2008 2:47 AM