A RePhrased Question About No Internet Connection RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - I didn't phrase my question very well last time, so I want to try again:

Is it possible to use Word 2007 on a computer that has no internet connection? I could Activate by phone, so maybe that would be no problem. But what about Validation Checks?

At some point in time, would a message pop onto my screen saying something like: 

you have to get Online now, so we can Validate your computer

Maybe that would never happen - that's why I'm asking the question here in this forum - to find out if there would be a message like that. If I got a message like that, I wouldn't be able to get Online, because my computer wouldn't have any Internet Connection. So what would happen then? Would the entire word processor become frozen?

I know it would be technologically possible for a message like that to pop onto the screen

- there could be a timed program, or whatever it's called, inside Word 2007 - waiting to go off after a certain amount of time - a message then popping onto the screen.

The question is:

is there some kind of timed program built into Word 2007 for Validation Checks?

Thanks

BTW - I've been trying Word 2007 for a few days, and I like it a lot

It's a big improvement over Word 2000

Word 2007 is getting a lot of bad reviews at Amazon.com - I don't know what those people are talking about

Although I think some of those people are comparing Word 2007 with Word 2003 - saying 2007 is worse.

I don't know about that because I've never tried 2003. Anyway, I like Word 2007, and just hope I can keep using it without getting frozen out by a timed Validation Check.

OK I think I've got this post set - after 6 edits - maybe that's a record in this forum :)

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 1:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Ground Place,

The only time you should experience a Validation Check (for Office or for Windows) is while you are online. Specificly, your Office Validation should only be checked when you attempt to download some extra Office content from http://office.microsoft.com (such as a Word template or a PowerPoint theme). Note: Security Updates can be downloaded without any Validation checks. 

If you are offline (or if you don't download anything from http://office.microsoft.com) you should never see a Validation check.

Note: Validation is different from Activation. You may be required to Activate again, at some point in the future, regardless of being online or offline. But that is more common with Windows then with Office. And for Windows a Re-activation usually only occures after adding or change a significant amount of Hardware.

I hope that answers your questions,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, June 11, 2009 5:42 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Ground Place,

The only time you should experience a Validation Check (for Office or for Windows) is while you are online. Specificly, your Office Validation should only be checked when you attempt to download some extra Office content from http://office.microsoft.com (such as a Word template or a PowerPoint theme). Note: Security Updates can be downloaded without any Validation checks. 

If you are offline (or if you don't download anything from http://office.microsoft.com) you should never see a Validation check.

Note: Validation is different from Activation. You may be required to Activate again, at some point in the future, regardless of being online or offline. But that is more common with Windows then with Office. And for Windows a Re-activation usually only occures after adding or change a significant amount of Hardware.

I hope that answers your questions,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, June 11, 2009 5:42 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:31 PM
  • Hi Darin - yes that answers all my questions.

That's what I was hoping to hear.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:48 PM