How do you propose to handle the upgrade process from v1 to Vail? RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft in their infinite wisdom have decided to not build in a direct upgrade path. I think that's foolish (but that's for another thread) and it leaves us with the problem of how to upgrade our customers' machines. The easy solution would be to sell them a new box, but there's a recession on and funds are going to be exceedingly tight. People will stick with the hardware they have. So, how are you proposing to handle the upgrade process for your clients? Right now, it looks as if I'll be recommending they stay put. WHS v1 works just fine, TYVM.
    qts
    Monday, January 10, 2011 8:57 AM

All replies

• "Quentin Stephens" wrote in message
    news:94ac598b-1686-446c-b02e-dde0ded09c66@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

[Microsoft in their infinite wisdom have decided to not build in a direct
    upgrade path. I think that's foolish (but that's for another thread) and it
    leaves us with the problem of how to upgrade our customers' machines. The
    easy solution would be to sell them a new box, but there's a recession on
    and funds are going to be exceedingly tight. People will stick with the
    hardware they have. So, how are you proposing to handle the upgrade process
    for your clients? Right now, it looks as if I'll be recommending they stay
    put. WHS v1 works just fine, TYVM.  qts]

There is no upgrade path from WHS v1 (32 bit) to WHS Vail (64 bit) because
    it's not possible to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. Just a simple fact of
    life.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Monday, January 10, 2011 10:05 AM
  • There is no upgrade path from WHS v1 (32 bit) to WHS Vail (64 bit) because it's not possible to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. Just a simple fact of life.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret
    I don't think the OP is talking about that kind of upgrade. He is asking how you can migrate the data if you want V2 to inherit the same hardware as V1.

With ordinary Windows OS's it is very easy, provided you have taken care to have your data on a separate drive or partition. Just install the new OS in the System partition of the old one, and you are done. I moved from XP x86 to Win7 x64 like this. [Actually I use BootIt NG to multi-boot the System partition, which provides a useful safety net.]

And WHS has this situation; the data IS on separate partitions. But because of all the DE complexity (and perhaps other reasons), the above method will not work.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, January 10, 2011 10:38 AM
  • In the case of the future build without DE, I would simply ensure your OS drive is not part of the storage pool, disconnect all other drives, install the new build of vail (sans DE) and just mount the drives and extract the data from the drive since WHS V1 uses normal NTFS drives.

Monday, January 10, 2011 10:49 PM
  • There is no upgrade path from WHS v1 (32 bit) to WHS Vail (64 bit) because it's not possible to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. Just a simple fact of life.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret
    I don't think the OP is talking about that kind of upgrade. He is asking how you can migrate the data if you want V2 to inherit the same hardware as V1.

Correct. I'm talking about the data. Both the file data and the data about settings, machines, and users. The upgrade process should preserve the former, and extract the latter at the start to import it later. Yes, I accept that all the add-ins and non-standard extras are going to disappear. 

Essentially the upgrade process should go:

1 - Plug DVD or USB key into server and run upgrade - ideally via the WHS Console. Or - shock, horror - it could be downloadable.

2 - Client should alert users to the updated connector software and update themselves on the user's confirmation, just as when the v1 connector is updated.

And it's got to be bullet-proof. Remember that many WHS boxes are headless.

Alternatively, look at it from the bottom-line perspective: lack of a solid in-place upgrade process will mean fewer sales. "If I'm going to have to completely rebuild my WHS box, I might as well look at the alternatives. Hey, XYZ looks interesting..." 

qts
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:40 PM