Files Locked - Sync Not Complete RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I am synchronizing my OneNote notebooks to live mesh as a backup.  I am not synching my OneNote files with any other PC's in my mesh. My computer is no longer available as the hard drive crashed / malfuntioned and no longer functions.   When I go to LiveMesh to download my OneNote files to another PC that I allow access to my mesh I get an error "The file has not completed uploading to LiveMesh."  I cannot download these files to my PC.  Now that my computer is not longer available, the ability to complete the upload is not possible.  Is there a way to unlock the file or get LiveMesh to think the upload is complete so I can get to my files?

Thank you for any assistance,
    Eric
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 5:45 PM

Answers

• OneNote has a self synchronize action with Outlook and other Office products that can cause the files to always be locked to Mesh.  Best way to ensure the sync occurs completely is to save your note, close OneNote and any other Office applications still running.  Mesh should sync the file fine at that point.  We're aware this is really not a good scenario and isn't working as well as it should.  We've been working with the Office team to try and find a better solution though.
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Monday, January 11, 2010 2:19 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 2:19 AM

All replies

• I've never encountered this situation, so I can't tell you what action may be able to be taken. If the files on the Live Desktop are incomplete, there may be no way to recover them. Since the drive crashed and that PC is no longer part of your Mesh, have you tried removing the machine from your Mesh and perhaps changing the sync settings for the folder on the Live Desktop?
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:49 PM
  • OneNote has a self synchronize action with Outlook and other Office products that can cause the files to always be locked to Mesh.  Best way to ensure the sync occurs completely is to save your note, close OneNote and any other Office applications still running.  Mesh should sync the file fine at that point.  We're aware this is really not a good scenario and isn't working as well as it should.  We've been working with the Office team to try and find a better solution though.
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Monday, January 11, 2010 2:19 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 2:19 AM