Network at risk - error message RRS feed

• Question

• I´ve just installed pp1 and pp2 on my newly set up WHS and after this my network is showing a lot of file conflicts along with this message:
    "The system cannot find message text for message number 0x%1 in the message file for %2"
    I use my home server to be able to share photos and music to my mediabox and the other computers in my home and i´m learning about my server on the way. Before installing the power packs i did not had this issue but only after and the strange thing is that if i remove the files witch are in conflict the system is showing new conflicts with the other remaining file in the dir.  
    I can say that averything is working fine thow even the files in conflict can be accesed and shared but seeing that the network icon shows these warnings makes me a bit unsecure...

Anyone has any thaughts about this?
    Thanks/M
    Friday, July 31, 2009 12:42 PM

All replies

• How have you been copying files to your server? Using the server shares? Or did you log in to the server desktop somehow and copy straight into D:\Shares\etc.?

You may want to run chkdsk on all your server's drives in case there's a problem with one of your disk drives.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 31, 2009 3:36 PM
  • Hi and thanks for youre answer.

I used both server shares copying files from the client computers and also copyied files from an USB-disk loging in as Administrator to the server. My server does not back up any computers so "backups" is off for the clients.
    I have ran chkdsk  /x  /r  on all my drives without improvments, it didn´t find any bad blocks either or anything else wrong with the drives.

Friday, July 31, 2009 7:47 PM
  • I can also add to this that all the shared folders that the server is complaining about containes mounted disk´s. for ex. "Movies" folder is an mounted 500GB drive, pictures and music folders is an mounted 300GB drive... Maybe this has something to do with it? All drives also exist in c:\fs too.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 7:53 PM
  • I can also add to this that all the shared folders that the server is complaining about containes mounted disk´s. for ex. "Movies" folder is an mounted 500GB drive, pictures and music folders is an mounted 300GB drive... Maybe this has something to do with it? All drives also exist in c:\fs too.

To clarify:  you copied your data to \\server\[sharename], correct?  What do you mean the "'Movies' folder is an mounted 500 GB drive"?  Can you please get a screenshot and post a link to it here?  (Also, FYI, accessing the server desktop for any reason is unsupported.)
    Friday, July 31, 2009 11:29 PM
  • To clarify: Yes, I´ve copied may data to \\homeserver\"shared folder" (witch was a HDD mounted in the shared folder)

So here´s what i did. Went and bought my self a new HDD, removed the other drives and added the new one instead through the WHS console. I then copied over all my files to a shared mapp i´ve created and where the new disk is mounted in, (From computer management, mounted drive in en empty "shared" folder) and voila, problem solved, everything is green now. Anyways, thank you guys for your replays.

@kariya21: What did you mean with "Also, FYI, accessing the server desktop for any reason is unsupported."

Have a good one./M :)
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 4:57 PM
  • To clarify: Yes, I´ve copied may data to \\homeserver\"shared folder" (witch was a HDD mounted in the shared folder)

So here´s what i did. Went and bought my self a new HDD, removed the other drives and added the new one instead through the WHS console. I then copied over all my files to a shared mapp i´ve created and where the new disk is mounted in, (From computer management, mounted drive in en empty "shared" folder) and voila, problem solved, everything is green now. Anyways, thank you guys for your replays.

It sounds to me like you created the volume mount point yourself (by logging into the server desktop).  Is that correct?  If so, that's your problem.

@kariya21: What did you mean with "Also, FYI, accessing the server desktop for any reason is unsupported."

Have a good one./M :)
    All Administrator type functions are done through the WHS Console, never through the server desktop.  Unless your server is having issues, you should never logon to the server desktop (and even then, you should only do it if you really know what you're doing or are instructed to do so by someone who does understand WHS because WHS doesn't work like other MS OSes).  (That's why you get that huge, full screen warning when you logon to the server desktop that basically says, "STOP!!! TURN AROUND!!! GO BACK!!! DON'T BE HERE!!!"  :)  )
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 7:01 PM
  • @Kariya21

Sorry for my late answer. It seems that i´ve started with my homeserver on the wrong fot :) så i reinstalled my server and set up connector on my client pc´s and things are just fine. My problem was that i used the server desktop as my other pc´s witch was wrong. I now understand a little more better how WHS works when adding data to my shared folders, managing the console and so on...
    Allthow now I have another issue if i may explain it here: I´n not able to connect to my whs console using remote access homepage, thorugh internet. I can acces my shared files, the add-in "webbshare" works fine but when i try to cconnect to the console i get a "timed out" message. Ports as 443 and 4125 are forwarded to my server but not 3389 for rdp. Thats because from my work place only port 443 is open. Should i try to change the rdp listening port, 3389, to 443 and see if this solves my problem or is there anything else i can doo.

Anyways, thanks a lot for your help.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:45 AM
  • @Kariya21

Sorry for my late answer. It seems that i´ve started with my homeserver on the wrong fot :) så i reinstalled my server and set up connector on my client pc´s and things are just fine. My problem was that i used the server desktop as my other pc´s witch was wrong. I now understand a little more better how WHS works when adding data to my shared folders, managing the console and so on...
    Allthow now I have another issue if i may explain it here: I´n not able to connect to my whs console using remote access homepage, thorugh internet. I can acces my shared files, the add-in "webbshare" works fine but when i try to cconnect to the console i get a "timed out" message. Ports as 443 and 4125 are forwarded to my server but not 3389 for rdp. Thats because from my work place only port 443 is open. Should i try to change the rdp listening port, 3389, to 443 and see if this solves my problem or is there anything else i can doo.

Anyways, thanks a lot for your help.

Port 4125 is Remote Web Workplace and is necessary in order to be able to control your local computers through the Remote Access website.  If your company blocks that port, you will not be able to use the Remote Access website to work on your local computers.  You can forward port 3389 to a single computer in your LAN, but then you would have to use the Remote Desktop Connection app to get access to your computers (and even then it would only be one because you can only have that port forwarded to one computer at a time).  Personally, I wouldn't do it (too much of a security risk IMO).
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 4:30 PM