Complex BU setup in CRM 4 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently investigating possible solutions to Business Unit security access for our users needing access to specific records in either non-parent or child business units.

We are a multinational company with companies in the UK and the US.

I've to list our org structure below...

Root BU                                                      ABC Group

2nd Tier BU's -               UK Companies                                 US Companies:

3rd Tier BU's -            UK 1 UK2  UK3  UK4                  US1  US2  US3 (3rd Tier BU's)

We have a group marketing department which needs access to read/update records in the following Business units:  UK1, UK2, UK3 and US1 ONLY!.

I know CRM only allows users to be assigned to one BU and a BU can only have one Parent BU - this is causing me a head-ache based on our org structure.

The sharing of records in CRM suite to an extent but doing this for all records in particular BU's need to be automated - can this be done or is it possible to write a plug-in which will automatically shares records in a particular business to a team of users?

Many, Many thanks in advanced

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:21 AM

Answers

• There is a free custom workflow activity available on Codeplex which will automatically share records based on the workflow configuration. http://crm40sharestep.codeplex.com/

Please bear in mind that extensive sharing can create all sorts of issues: duplicate records, performance issues and so on. My advice is to create business units to partition records only when absolutely necessary (e.g. for legal or regulatory reasons), not just because it's nicer when a user can only see their own business unit's records. Don't just use business units to mimic your organisation structure -- it isn't worth it.

Regards, Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter, and you're welcome to sign up to Customery, an online community for UK-based Dynamics CRM people.

• Marked as answer by MSCRM MAN Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:26 AM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:25 AM
  • Neil is exactly right about the potential performance impact of extensive sharing - to minimize try to only share with teams, not individuals.

I've used the sharestep workflow step that Neil referenced and have had good results with it.

Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    • Marked as answer by MSCRM MAN Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:28 AM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:21 AM

All replies

• There is a free custom workflow activity available on Codeplex which will automatically share records based on the workflow configuration. http://crm40sharestep.codeplex.com/

Please bear in mind that extensive sharing can create all sorts of issues: duplicate records, performance issues and so on. My advice is to create business units to partition records only when absolutely necessary (e.g. for legal or regulatory reasons), not just because it's nicer when a user can only see their own business unit's records. Don't just use business units to mimic your organisation structure -- it isn't worth it.

Regards, Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter, and you're welcome to sign up to Customery, an online community for UK-based Dynamics CRM people.

• Marked as answer by MSCRM MAN Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:26 AM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:25 AM
  • Neil is exactly right about the potential performance impact of extensive sharing - to minimize try to only share with teams, not individuals.

I've used the sharestep workflow step that Neil referenced and have had good results with it.

Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    • Marked as answer by MSCRM MAN Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:28 AM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:21 AM
  • Thanks Guys - sharing the record(s) via a workflow to a team appears the best method and I fully take on your points about the impact this possibly has. I may see if we can reduce the BU's as you have said.

Many thanks :)

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:29 AM