Multiple automatic backups on same day RRS feed

• Question

• Sometimes the WHS 2011 decides to take two automatic backups on the same day, just a few hours apart. This happens even though the first backup was successful. 

As you can see on October 13th a successful automatic backup was made both at 12:37 and 16:36. Also on July 3rd two backups first at 14:33 and again at 16:17. This behavior is not apparent on any other computers that are backed up, only this one.

Just a curious and minor thing, but I thought I'd ask the forum to see if anyone else had seen this elsewhere.

HP MediaSmart EX475, 3 TB storage, 2 GB ram and dual core CPU (BE2300) upgrade. Author of WHS File Manager Add-In, WHS Jungle Disk Add-in and WHS Media Connect Configuration Add-in. http://blog.codewrench.net/whs-add-ins/
    Friday, October 14, 2011 6:38 AM

All replies

• What do you have defined as the backup schedule for that particular

client?

Friday, October 14, 2011 12:28 PM
  • I did not think you could change schedule pr. client. I though the setting under "additional client computer backup tasks" were common for all clients.

I've check and all my clients have the same settings

Backup between 15 and 22.

HP MediaSmart EX475, 3 TB storage, 2 GB ram and dual core CPU (BE2300) upgrade. Author of WHS File Manager Add-In, WHS Jungle Disk Add-in and WHS Media Connect Configuration Add-in. http://blog.codewrench.net/whs-add-ins/
    Friday, October 14, 2011 12:34 PM
  • You are correct in the statement that the Client backup settings are for all clients and individual clients can not be set independently. As for your original problem, I have no idea.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 1:24 PM
  • Two questions:

1. Is this possibly a computer that you rarely boot up? And
    2. Have you done anything that might affect the default backup scheduling, either on the server side or this individual client?

I ask the first question because if a computer is rarely on during the backup window, eventually it will back up automatically as soon as it's booted. The same applies to computers that are put into a power-saving mode, if the connector is told not to wake the computer for backups.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 14, 2011 3:14 PM
  • 1. Yes, this computer is not used very often. As you can see from period between the backups. Sometimes it can be months between use.

2. Not that I know :)

So what you say is that since it's so long since the last backup it will start a backup immediately after the client is booted. Then later on when the computer is still on when the "backup window" occurs it will backup again even if the previous backup was just a couple of hours ago?

That would explain the behavior yes.

Friday, October 14, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Exactly. This functionality was added to ensure that a computer that's often outside the local network will get backed up when it's "home", but it works equally well with a computer that's rarely booted.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 14, 2011 6:11 PM