OCS Dial-up Conferencing - How to not require user sign-in? RRS feed

• Question

• We have OCS Dial-up Conferencing enabled, and all works well except for the fact that the conferencing service requires that the user sign-in after entering the conference ID & passcode.  I have enabled users to allow conferencing with anonymous users via the "Configure Users" wizard, but it seems like this is not having the desired effect.  Is there another area within OCS that must be configured to allow an external, anonymous user to dial into a conference with just an ID & passcode?
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 2:29 PM

Answers

• It appears then you don't have access for anonymous user configured in OCS.  Have you enabled it in the global policy(or per user if configured as such) and on the individual scheduled meeting?
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Friday, August 21, 2009 2:19 PM
  • Happy to report that the issue was really just a knowledge issue on my part.  I was not aware of the "permissions" button when scheduling a live meeting or conference call via the Outlook Conferencing plug-in.  Setting it to "Invite Anyone", the conference is no longer requiring a user extension & pin.

Now we just need to train users on this behavior.  I would be nice if we could set this as the default selection.

Thanks again Jeff & Kevin.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 3:46 PM

All replies

• Kevin (not peters)

Has the leader signed into the meeting you are trying to attend?

For the actual configuration, not much too it, here's the steps I expect you followed:  Are you up to the latest rollups?

Administering Office Communications Server 2007 R2 documentation.
    1. Log on to a computer that has Office Communications Server 2007 R2 administrative tools installed as a member of the RTCUniversalServerAdmins group and the DomainAdmins group.

2. Click Start, click All Programs, click Administrative Tools, and then click Office Communications Server 2007 R2.

3. In the console tree, right-click the forest node, click Properties, click Global Properties, and then click the Meetings tab.

4. To configure a global meeting policy, do the following:

• To create a new policy, under Policy Settings, click Add.
      • To modify an existing policy, under Policy Definition, click the name of the policy in the Global policy list, and then click Edit.
    5. In the dialog box, select the Enable IP audio check box, and then select the Enable PSTN conference dial-in check box.

6. Optionally, to require anonymous participants to enter a conference pass code to join a dial-in conference, select the PSTN conference dial-in requires passcode check box.

7. Click OK, click Apply, and then click OK again

Link to the docs on it here:
      http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd441163(office.13).aspx

Hope this helps

-kp

Kevin Peters MCSE/MCSA/MCTS/CCNA/Security+ blog: www.ocsguy.com
    Friday, August 7, 2009 2:52 AM
  • It actually sounds like he's trying to get anonymous users into the same conference without the Leader first dialing-in.  This can only be accomplished if at least one other authenticated user dials into the same conference bridge ID.  It doesn't have to be the leader specifically, but at least one other corporate user must first connect to allow all other anonymous callers to be joined in from the lobby.  This is a security feature as without this requirement anyone with access to a Conference ID and Passcode could continue to use the bridge without the owner's being aware.

Also, if an authenticated user first connects and then leaves, the bridge will stay up for a predetermined (and configurable) amount of time before disconnecting the call.

Take a look at this article for more details:
    http://blogs.technet.com/dougl/archive/2009/04/11/audio-conf-without-leader.aspx

Friday, August 7, 2009 1:23 PM
  • hi
    Any update for your issue.

Regards!
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:19 AM
  • Thanks for everyone's assistance.  However, the issue is that ALL users must authenticate to the conference, even if the leader has already joined. 

Friday, August 21, 2009 2:06 PM
  • It appears then you don't have access for anonymous user configured in OCS.  Have you enabled it in the global policy(or per user if configured as such) and on the individual scheduled meeting?
    Friday, August 21, 2009 2:19 PM
  • Thanks Jeff.  That would seem to be the behavior, but the global policy is set to enforce it per user.  All users have "Allow Anonymous Participants" checked, and the default policy allows PSTN conferencing without a passcode.  Not quite sure why this doesn't seem to be working.  We are still looking at it.  I appreciate your feedback.

-Kevin
    Friday, August 21, 2009 3:03 PM
  • Happy to report that the issue was really just a knowledge issue on my part.  I was not aware of the "permissions" button when scheduling a live meeting or conference call via the Outlook Conferencing plug-in.  Setting it to "Invite Anyone", the conference is no longer requiring a user extension & pin.

Now we just need to train users on this behavior.  I would be nice if we could set this as the default selection.

Thanks again Jeff & Kevin.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 3:46 PM