none
Does SyncToy Support Backing Up To Multiple Hard Drive Destinations From the Same Job? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!  Does SyncToy support having multiple destinations (RHS)?  Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

I have a source hard drive on my computer with all of my primary files (LHS).  I have two USB hard drives that I rotate through on a weekly basis to backup my files (so week1=HDD1, week2=HDD2, week3=HDD1, week4=HDD2, etc).

If I create a folder pair job using the "Echo" feature using the latest version of SyncToy 2.0 x64, can I use the same job for both of the backup hard drives, or do I have to create a different folder pair job for each destination hard drive?

In case you need to know, I am using Vista x64 and both of the destination/backup hard drives use NTFS partitions.

Thanks.
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 10:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Aakash,

To accomplish this you will need to create multiple folder pairs.  However you can certainly run them all at once and perhaps you might want to look intot the command line tool (synctoycmd.exe) for launching them through a scheduler.

Liam

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Aakash,

To accomplish this you will need to create multiple folder pairs.  However you can certainly run them all at once and perhaps you might want to look intot the command line tool (synctoycmd.exe) for launching them through a scheduler.

Liam

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 3:53 PM
  • Hello Liam!  Thanks for the information.  So, to confirm, Synctoy only supports one unique destination point per folder pair.  Is this correct?

Also, can you confirm whether SyncToy 1.4 supported this feature?  I believe I used 2 destination hard drives per folder pair without any warnings.  Or, was SyncToy 1.4 not correctly backing up all of my files?

Thanks.
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 5:11 PM
  • Yes, that is correct there can only be a source and destination per folder pair for 1.4 and 2.0.  I would be interested to hear how you were able to add three folder pairs in 1.4 if you can remember how you accomplished this.

Liam

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 5:16 PM
  • Basically, I started with two blank HDDs and then created the first folder pair on the HDD1.  Then I created the same initial folder tree I created on HDD1 on HDD2 for the folder destinations.  So, if I created a folder called "User\Email" on HDD1 and set my folder pair to backup my email to this folder, I created this same folder structure on HDD2.  On Week1, I would sync HDD1 with the Email folder pair and then during Week2, I would sync HDD2. 

Was I making the incorrect assumption in 1.4 that all of my files were being backed up with this method?  My impression of the way Synctoy worked was that it looked at the source and then checked the destination for what files were not present and needed to be copied/modfied.  From what you have described in your post, it sounds like Synctoy only keeps track of changes on the source and basically ignores the destination folder in the case of an "Echo" sync.  Is this accurate?

Thanks.
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 5:30 PM
  • Liam:  Hello!  Please let me know about my previous post.  Thanks.
    Friday, October 10, 2008 8:43 AM
  • Hi Aakash,

Sorry for the delay.  I am a little backed up on work preparing for PDC.  Let me forward this to engineering to see what they have to say.

Liam

Friday, October 10, 2008 3:44 PM
  • Ok, no problem.  I look forward to hearing from you when engineering gets back to you.

Thanks Smile
    Friday, October 10, 2008 5:13 PM
  • Aakash, please follow Liam's original advice. You need to create separate folder pairs for each hard disk, so folder pari Email-Backup-HDD1, Email-Backup-HDD2, etc. You'll only run half of these every time you plug in a particular backup HDD. You should use SyncToy 2.0 for this scenario as well since it has good improvements like being able to work even if the drive letter for the external HDD changes when you plug it in next time.

Monday, October 13, 2008 9:41 PM
    Answerer
  • Ok, thanks for the info Ashish - I'll create separate folder pairs. 

As a wishlist suggestion, it would be great to have SyncToy also support multiple hard drive destinations for future versions to help with backing up files.

Thanks.
    Monday, October 13, 2008 10:28 PM
  •  Ashish Shah [MSFT] wrote:

Aakash, please follow Liam's original advice. You need to create separate folder pairs for each hard disk, so folder pair Email-Backup-HDD1, Email-Backup-HDD2, etc. You'll only run half of these every time you plug in a particular backup HDD. You should use SyncToy 2.0 for this scenario as well since it has good improvements like being able to work even if the drive letter for the external HDD changes when you plug it in next time.

I also swap out the destination drive on the weekly basis, rotating only 2 drives. It always shows up as drive D, so basically I have to make two identical folder pairs both going to drive D? How would SyncToy be able to tell the difference of which drive is plugged in since I only plug one external drive which always shows up as D.

I am using SyncToy v2, under vista with the echo mode. Currently, SyncToy syncs fine with the first external HDD, however the second HDD it will only sync updated files and do a fully LHS to RHS comparison.

Would be greatful for any advice!

Thanks
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 3:14 AM
  • Ashish or someone from MS may have more in-depth technical information on this, but here is what I have gathered.  For each folder pair you create, a hidden .dat file is created in both the LHS and RHS folders.  So, when you create two folder pairs, you will have two unique hidden .dat synctoy files.  So, it appears that it uses this unique .dat filename to know which drive you have plugged in.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 8:08 AM
  • Hello!
    I need to syncronize two PCs: one is WorkPC (it's at my work), and another HomePC at home. For syncronizing I try use SyncToy-2 and I use a USB-FLASH drive for curring data between work and home PCs.

In this case - StncToy doesn't working correctly!!!

When I create an equal folders on my WorkPC and on the USB-Flash drive and syncronizing it by SyncToy2 - all is correct. But when I go home and try to syncronize this folder on USB-Flash with equal folder on my HomePC - then SyncToy performs complete overvriting for each file and folder, but all of this is equal to files on WorkPC and not was changed. In this situation I using SyncToy2 installed both: my WorkPC and HomePC. On WorkPC was crearted one folder pair to syncronize a folder from Work HDD with Folder on Flash, and on HomePC also installed SyncToy with folder pair to syncronize one folder on home HDD with that USB-Flash folder which was syncronized to work folder.

The situation when users needs to syncronize two remote PCs by using USB Flash drive, is very - very often, and I need help: how it can be done?? If SyncToy not supporting this mode now, is it can be improved in next version to address this need?

Thanks!
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 6:05 AM