Sleeping with the Enemy? RRS feed

• Question

• The past week has been an interesting one for fans of operating system interoperability. First, Microsoft attended LinuxWorld in Boston and touted its support for Linux in Virtual Server 2005 R2. Then, Apple Computer tore down the electronic walls, so speak, that were keeping Windows from running on Mac hardware: The company released a beta version of its Boot Camp software, which lets Intel-based Mac users dual boot between Windows XP and Mac OS X on the same machine. Taken at face value, these developments seem to indicate a new era of détente between Microsoft and its OS rivals. However, the more I've explored these changes, the more I realize that they change absolutely nothing.

Linux support ... for whom?

Consider Virtual Server and Linux. Microsoft promotes its virtual machine (VM) technology primarily as a great way to consolidate aging servers, letting enterprises take single-purpose servers--especially those running Windows NT 4.0--offline. So how does Linux fit into this equation? Few Windows shops are going to have legacy applications running on Linux today, so presumably anyone wishing to run Linux within a VM environment on Virtual Server will do so for ... what? Testing purposes? Who are the customers for this product that want to run Linux? The stated purpose of Virtual Server doesn't seem to jibe with this new support for Linux.

Don't get me wrong. I think Microsoft was wise to start supporting Linux. But it's unclear to me how doing so will benefit the customers it is targeting with Virtual Server. In the future, we may have server hardware platforms that let you run two or more operating environments side-by-side on the same hardware, without the overhead of an application-level interface like Virtual Server. At that time, Microsoft's decision to support Linux--assuming they do so in such a case--may actually mean something.

Apple will not support Windows

Apple's decision to support dual-booting between Windows and Mac OS X was met my immediate jubilation and horror, depending on the crowd. But again, this announcement doesn't really mean much to enterprise customers. That's because Apple is refusing to support Windows on a Mac. Users can download the Boot Camp software, install it, configure their Mac, and then install Windows XP. But if anything goes wrong, you're on your own.

In my own tests of Boot Camp, the Apple solution appears to work quite well. But the term "no support" should logically send up all kinds of warning signals to IT. You'd have to be a particular kind of crazy to send your employees out the door with unsupported systems, no matter how beautiful that hardware may be. And let's face it, Apple doesn't exactly get enterprise pricing as it is.

The problem here, of course, is that Apple isn't targeting businesses and likely never will, not really. This is a company that is experiencing a Renaissance thanks to its iPod portable music players and clever marketing. It sells products in shopping malls. It targets teen-agers, women, and college students. And you know what? It's doing quite well, thank you very much. It's just that businesses need not apply.

What this all means

It's rare to have two significant industry-oriented events like this occur in one week. It's even rarer, perhaps, for such events to essentially mean nothing to Windows users even though, on the face of things, they seem to impact the Windows world quite a bit. My guess is that corporations will continue to consolidate NT 4.0 servers on Virtual Server and that businesses of all sizes will continue to buy and use PCs, not Macs. You know, maybe nothing happened last week at all.

This article originally appeared in the April 11, 2006 issue of Windows IT Pro UPDATE.

Monday, March 5, 2007 5:44 AM

Answers

• fine .... my pleasure..
    Monday, March 5, 2007 2:32 PM
  • windows sucks anyway.. i prefer a Mac or Linux machine.
    Monday, March 5, 2007 2:54 PM
  • no dude..... windows is pretty ok.... i would luv it if it was open source...
    Monday, March 5, 2007 5:32 PM
  • yes.... MS is very user friendly..... dats the biggest +ve ....
    Monday, March 5, 2007 6:38 PM
  • As Chetan says, this WINDOWS is really user - friendly and is typically used in most of the industries. It is possible to switch over to a new OS suddenly without much knowledge and acquaintance with it.

The post by Chetan was really useful.. But I dint get some terminologies..

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 4:49 AM
  • nice topic
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 5:35 AM
  • sorry guys.... i mean't exactly wat mr. venkat_psgtech explained so clearly.... having windows is such a positive u'll have all the softwares .. u need not keep searching like for wat you have to do in case of Linux softwares...
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 1:08 PM
  • thanks guys...
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 1:13 PM
  • guys .... wat do you think /.... where will this all lead to ??
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 7:38 PM
  • well well.. windows will never be an open source... their greed of monopolization will definitely not let them do so... windows ve definitely run out of ideas and vista is a mere copy of the apple's TIGER os
    Wednesday, March 7, 2007 5:35 AM
  • i guess u are right ... windows is running after other's ideas as they tried to create MAC high end graphics in Vista...
    Wednesday, March 7, 2007 11:01 AM
  • Thanks... for the response..
    Thursday, March 8, 2007 9:01 PM
  • Apple will not support Windows

This statement is not true at all. I can say that because today only, I've seen today only Microsoft running on Mac OS X.

So the statement is totally false that Apple will not support windows.

Friday, March 9, 2007 5:15 AM
  • see apple s ridiculing windows vista rite now for copying their tiger... also they are plannin to release the update of tiger... in a spoof video "the apple said well the tiger update will be called vista2"... so don think ms ll get support from any quarters
    Friday, March 9, 2007 11:08 AM
  • wat do you mean by ms ll
    Friday, March 9, 2007 1:22 PM
  • really... which OS yaar.... tell us more....
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 2:19 PM
  • the OS question is for Sanket
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 2:26 PM
  • Thatz true.. I have seen the new Apple system which is supporting windows in it... Two of my friends are using apple products.. One is using the Apple notebook and other desktop.. both are supporting windows and they run fine.. but they both say that after running Mac. they don't need windows.. Mac is far more user friendly than Windows.. it seemed funny to me too but when i saw it with my own eyes i believe it.. lets see what the future holds.. we didnt had apple products in the indian market before.. but now they have entered...

Also one of my friend said that apple is not for bussiness.. i totally disagree.. i was watching a program on TV where they were comparing Vista and Mac.. the software engineers using Mac were too handy with MAc to switch to Windows.. they all said that Mac is very stable and a paradise for the software engineers.. The prog was quite a long time back so please don ask me when i saw it.. i just remm the details...

Saturday, March 10, 2007 3:47 PM
  • hey varun.... can you tell me what is the name of tthe Apple System which is supporting windows in it??
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 9:05 PM
  • All the systems with Mac OS X tiger or above support dual boot..

To be more specific i have witnessed windows with my own eyes in MAC mini.. its a small apple product which comes without monitor, keyboard, mouse.. u have to attach this accourding to ur need.. its just the small cpu by apple but a very good one..

check out the apple site www.asia.apple.com

Sunday, March 11, 2007 4:29 AM
  • thanks For the info...... will mark you as an answer... keep posting such stuff........
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 2:04 PM
  • Thankz for the motivation.. Ill share something more related to apple.. When i saw the 29 inch apple monitor i was just stunned with graphical experience.. i was the flat screen monitor with i think about 2.5 inch thickness, a cool keyboard and a mouse.. I asked the guy about the cpu.. he said that the monitor itself has the processor in it.. i was shocked.. i tried looking down, here and there but he was true.. the monitor was the whole processor.. it had a dvd drive on a side..
    I don think that microsoft can come up with something like that.. but though Apple hardwares are a little costly.. they are worth every penny u spend.. and all my friends who are having Apple are saying that...
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 3:33 PM
  • i do agree with varun. mac are much more better than vista / windows. although ms has tried to design vista similar to that of mac, but it has put loads of bugs in os. this doesn't encourage me much to use vista.

but the disadvantages of mac till now were that it's hardware was costly, and it didn't supported dual boot.

but from mac osx n later, both the disadvantages have dissolved and mac seems to work much better than ms,

Sunday, March 11, 2007 7:13 PM
  • Also prior Apple used to make its own processor which was costly.. but after Intel launched the Dual core, Apple started using Intel chips in their machine.. so that brought down the cost of Apple products to a great extent..
    Monday, March 12, 2007 4:24 AM
  • can't belive that processor built in the monitor .... anyways nice post .. thnx for the info..
    Monday, March 12, 2007 7:01 PM
  • NIce idea Man... Apple need to hang on to this idea... for their survial.. they cannot compete with Intel and AMD....
    Monday, March 12, 2007 7:32 PM
  • Cool MAn.... here we use the dual core... and they are boasting of it..... lol
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:57 PM

All replies

• it was really useful post...
    Monday, March 5, 2007 2:09 PM
  • fine .... my pleasure..
    Monday, March 5, 2007 2:32 PM
  • windows sucks anyway.. i prefer a Mac or Linux machine.
    Monday, March 5, 2007 2:54 PM
  • nice information man. but i'm still with microsoft. it has everything to play with and is far more comfortable than linux.

for mac, i can't pass any comments.

Monday, March 5, 2007 3:59 PM
  • no dude..... windows is pretty ok.... i would luv it if it was open source...
    Monday, March 5, 2007 5:32 PM
  • yes.... MS is very user friendly..... dats the biggest +ve ....
    Monday, March 5, 2007 6:38 PM
  • As Chetan says, this WINDOWS is really user - friendly and is typically used in most of the industries. It is possible to switch over to a new OS suddenly without much knowledge and acquaintance with it.

The post by Chetan was really useful.. But I dint get some terminologies..

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 4:49 AM
  • nice topic
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 5:35 AM
  • sorry guys.... i mean't exactly wat mr. venkat_psgtech explained so clearly.... having windows is such a positive u'll have all the softwares .. u need not keep searching like for wat you have to do in case of Linux softwares...
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 1:08 PM
  • thanks guys...
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 1:13 PM
  • guys .... wat do you think /.... where will this all lead to ??
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 7:38 PM
  • well well.. windows will never be an open source... their greed of monopolization will definitely not let them do so... windows ve definitely run out of ideas and vista is a mere copy of the apple's TIGER os
    Wednesday, March 7, 2007 5:35 AM
  • i guess u are right ... windows is running after other's ideas as they tried to create MAC high end graphics in Vista...
    Wednesday, March 7, 2007 11:01 AM
  • nice post bro
    Wednesday, March 7, 2007 7:05 PM
  • Thanks... for the response..
    Thursday, March 8, 2007 9:01 PM
  • Apple will not support Windows

This statement is not true at all. I can say that because today only, I've seen today only Microsoft running on Mac OS X.

So the statement is totally false that Apple will not support windows.

Friday, March 9, 2007 5:15 AM
  • see apple s ridiculing windows vista rite now for copying their tiger... also they are plannin to release the update of tiger... in a spoof video "the apple said well the tiger update will be called vista2"... so don think ms ll get support from any quarters
    Friday, March 9, 2007 11:08 AM
  • wat do you mean by ms ll
    Friday, March 9, 2007 1:22 PM
  • ms is back  to stop the grow of enemy
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 10:42 AM
  • really... which OS yaar.... tell us more....
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 2:19 PM
  • the OS question is for Sanket
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 2:26 PM
  • Thatz true.. I have seen the new Apple system which is supporting windows in it... Two of my friends are using apple products.. One is using the Apple notebook and other desktop.. both are supporting windows and they run fine.. but they both say that after running Mac. they don't need windows.. Mac is far more user friendly than Windows.. it seemed funny to me too but when i saw it with my own eyes i believe it.. lets see what the future holds.. we didnt had apple products in the indian market before.. but now they have entered...

Also one of my friend said that apple is not for bussiness.. i totally disagree.. i was watching a program on TV where they were comparing Vista and Mac.. the software engineers using Mac were too handy with MAc to switch to Windows.. they all said that Mac is very stable and a paradise for the software engineers.. The prog was quite a long time back so please don ask me when i saw it.. i just remm the details...

Saturday, March 10, 2007 3:47 PM
  • hey varun.... can you tell me what is the name of tthe Apple System which is supporting windows in it??
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 9:05 PM
  • All the systems with Mac OS X tiger or above support dual boot..

To be more specific i have witnessed windows with my own eyes in MAC mini.. its a small apple product which comes without monitor, keyboard, mouse.. u have to attach this accourding to ur need.. its just the small cpu by apple but a very good one..

check out the apple site www.asia.apple.com

Sunday, March 11, 2007 4:29 AM
  • nice post but window is still fine then apple regarding hardware cost..
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 11:24 AM
  • thanks For the info...... will mark you as an answer... keep posting such stuff........
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 2:04 PM
  • Thankz for the motivation.. Ill share something more related to apple.. When i saw the 29 inch apple monitor i was just stunned with graphical experience.. i was the flat screen monitor with i think about 2.5 inch thickness, a cool keyboard and a mouse.. I asked the guy about the cpu.. he said that the monitor itself has the processor in it.. i was shocked.. i tried looking down, here and there but he was true.. the monitor was the whole processor.. it had a dvd drive on a side..
    I don think that microsoft can come up with something like that.. but though Apple hardwares are a little costly.. they are worth every penny u spend.. and all my friends who are having Apple are saying that...
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 3:33 PM
  • i do agree with varun. mac are much more better than vista / windows. although ms has tried to design vista similar to that of mac, but it has put loads of bugs in os. this doesn't encourage me much to use vista.

but the disadvantages of mac till now were that it's hardware was costly, and it didn't supported dual boot.

but from mac osx n later, both the disadvantages have dissolved and mac seems to work much better than ms,

Sunday, March 11, 2007 7:13 PM
  • Also prior Apple used to make its own processor which was costly.. but after Intel launched the Dual core, Apple started using Intel chips in their machine.. so that brought down the cost of Apple products to a great extent..
    Monday, March 12, 2007 4:24 AM
  • can't belive that processor built in the monitor .... anyways nice post .. thnx for the info..
    Monday, March 12, 2007 7:01 PM
  • NIce idea Man... Apple need to hang on to this idea... for their survial.. they cannot compete with Intel and AMD....
    Monday, March 12, 2007 7:32 PM
  • well ya the apple systems tat we use in our multimedia lab dont have any cpu's... everything is built in.. even the cd drive is in the monitor
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 11:16 AM
  • Cool MAn.... here we use the dual core... and they are boasting of it..... lol
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:57 PM