Server backup problems RRS feed

• Question

• Some automatic backups for the whs2011 server itself takes "forever". It takes sometimes more than 12 hours. That means a new scheduled automatic backup cannot start. The last two times, I saw the progress of the backup to be around 67% - 72%. And at that time the backup had taken 9 - 10 hours. Then other automatic backups seems to take a more normal duration.

I should say that my server is configured with 4 drives: The system drive on 2 TB, another 1 TB drive for movies and recorded TV shows. And then finally two other 2 TB drives which are empty.

My external drive I use for the server backups is a 2 TB drive. I have configured the my server backup to only backup the system drive on 2 TB. But that actually holds most of my Server Folders, except for movies and TV shows.

I have 400 GB free on my external drive for backups.

ANother error I have seen is this:

Event log:   The shadow copies of volume D: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit.

Alert Viewer:   One or more selected items were not included in Server Bac... (error code 0)

Is this related to my backup issues?

I look forward to hear for solutions, thx.

Sunday, July 24, 2011 3:40 PM

All replies

• Just to give an idea of the issue, here are some more details:

From the eventviewer:  

24-07-2011 16:53:38 - The backup operation has started.

A new backup was scheduled to start at 23:00 danish local time:

24-07-2011 23:00:14 -

The backup operation that started at '‎2011‎-‎07‎-‎24T21:00:14.665641200Z' has failed because another backup or recovery operation is in progress. Please stop the conflicting operation, and then rerun the backup operation.

At that time the progress was only at 83% from the backup I manually started at 16:53:38

Anyone that has experinced the same as me?

How come that my backups are taking so long time?

I should maybe also say (I dont know if that has something to do with issue), that I have previously moved all my music files to the music folder. They were previously scattered around on several disks on two computers and external harddrives in form of backups of my music files. So I decided to move them to one place. But because its a mess, I have started organising them again, by moving them down to my primary computer where I use WMP to organise by album artist and artist, so folders correspond to my actual CDs. I take CD by CD, so it will take some time to be finish with this task. I imagine that 85 GB of music that I shrink slowly can make that disk become more and more defragmented as I cut out artist by artist.

These files are now back on my client computer, where they will be backed up by the server. Of course, backup of that music folder on my server will take less and less time as fewer files to back up. But the client backup folder will increase in size, as more and more music files are to be backed up.

Will this recalculation of changes take that long time I am experiencing now?

Regards,

Sunday, July 24, 2011 9:38 PM
  • Sounds very much like my problem

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/53ef0655-4c56-4abc-9a7a-c6b9efce432d

Will check my logs tonight

GB

Monday, July 25, 2011 12:55 AM
  • Hi, homasri

First of all, if there are lot of data need to be backup, it may take a lot time for the first full backup. Please check the connection speed between your host with the external disk.

If you think the backup is extremely slow by comparing to the connection speed, please chkdsk the internal and external disks at first to make sure the hard disks are ok. And there will be detailed error info shown in the backup history of target machine in the dashboard, please paste for further investigation.

Best Regards,

Junyong

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 12:55 PM