Edit BIOS on HP MediaSmart RRS feed

• Question

•  

I was wondering if anyone knew a way to edit the bios on an hp mediasmart server, through some software in windows or something like that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    -drwebster93
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 10:24 PM

All replies

• Its Phoenix BIOS.  Access is doable but not without extensively hacking/voiding your HP warranty.  Why?  Because you will need to connect MSS to a monitor & keyboard.  If you absolutely need access..you might want to follow some of the posts on HomeServerHacks.com.  Heres a specific link to how one might connect a VGA monitor.

http://www.homeserverhacks.com/2008/03/attaching-vga-monitor-to-your-hp-ex470.html

HomeServerHacks, also has posts related to upgrading your cpu & memory in MSS.  And you don't need to access the BIOS to do any of those upgrades.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 10:45 PM
  • Assuming this was possible, why would you want to?

Your BIOS is what enables your computer to start up, if you edited the BIOS and did something wrong accidently, your motherboard would be disabled and could only be repaired by the OEM.

My Advice is don't do it, I'm a PC Technican and Network Administrator and I wouldn't touch the BIOS for any reason.

drwebster93 wrote:

I was wondering if anyone knew a way to edit the bios on an hp mediasmart server, through some software in windows or something like that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    -drwebster93
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 10:56 PM
  • I have a few reasons to change settings in my bios, one being that I would like the server to automatically start up again in the event of a power failure.  After some research, I found a few small bits of information about some sort of phoenix bios editor software that runs in windows. I am not sure where to get it or how to use it.  Does anyone know anything about the phoenix bios editor or have another editor they use that would work on an hp mediasmart server?

-drwebster93

Thursday, April 17, 2008 2:31 AM
  • Try here for changing the power management setting: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=609

Friday, April 18, 2008 2:17 AM
  • I actually saw that and plan on doing that, but there are some other things I would like to see and possibly change in the bios.

-drwebster93
    Friday, April 18, 2008 6:30 PM