Prod Key for My FULL copy of Vista Ultimate from amazon.com REJECTED!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• 1. Purchased FULL INSTALL Vista Ultimate from amazon.com

2. BOOTED from the x64 Bit DVD on my HP DV2000t (T7200 & 2 gb RAM)

3. SETUP declared that the product key that I entered was not valid, so I double, triple checked (and them some) but the key was entered correctly. NOTE: This is not an activation issue. at this point, there is no connectivity to the internet.

4. I proceeded with install knowing that a key can be entered later. I picked Vista Ultimate as OS. (Not my first time with the process.)

5. Vista ultimate was installed and updated with vista 64 bit drivers from the hp web site. and from windowsupdate.

6. No additional products have been installed, and now...

when I try to enter the AMAZON purchased product key, windows REJECTS the key on the fifth keystroke!

SO....

I went to an unactivated VISTA ULTIMATE running in a VPC (VPC 2007) on a properly licensed VISTA ultimate. (32 bit host and 32 bit VPC). This VPC Vista was setup by letting a 'used' product key select the operating system. The "used" key was the 32 bit full install Vista Ultimate key that had been activated on the host system. Since the key had been used once, I knew that I had to activate a new full license for this VPC within 30 days.

The AMAZON.COM purchased product key is ALSO rejected by the 32 bit VPC AT the FIFTH CHARACTER, just as on the 64 bit t7200 system. I can't get the darn key entered anywhere, let alone activated and marked as "used".

To my knowledge, this key has NEVER been used. The product key seems definitely BAD! Did Microsoft ship a bad batch of keys or disks to amazon? Is my amazon product pirated? (The box says it is a US/CAN product.) Is Windows key & activation system buggy? Or What?

How do I get this to work? The vista faq says 1) check the #, 2) check the product (both key and disk came ouf of a "full version" vista ultimate box), AND THEN IT SAYS.... BUY ANOTHER LICENSE!!! (WHAT???)

I don't want a workaround that fails the next time the machine decides it needs to "reactivate". The ultimate user of this laptop is non-technical and does not 'activate' computers, much less reluctant ones. They cannot cope with that kind of product failure.

I have searched this forum and cannot find an exact comparable to my situation.

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 2:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Ron,

I wasn't able to get your to your service request either because it's not available yet or because it's been closed.  It's a little strange to me that the last two characters are letters and not numbers.  Is the subject the only place in the e-mail where the number is mentioned?  I'm going to have to pick this back up on Monday.  Thanks for sticking with me. 

Saturday, March 10, 2007 2:09 AM

All replies

• This forum is dedicated to Windows Genuine Advantage validation questions.  

WGA and Product Activation are very different things, and Activation questions do not belong in this forum.

Please address any activation questions by following this link to Product Support Services. Select the product you wish to activate and follow the prompts and links to the type of service you need.

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 2:24 AM
  • Doesn't activation come later, when one has 1) an internet connection and 2) actually had vista/setup successfully parse and accept a product key? and 3) "touched" a database by internet or phone to record and pair a product key with a packed record of one's hardware configuration?

I can't get what should be a valid product key entered either during setup or later after a system is configured.  Activation is apparently a distant and future issue.

Both my failure scenarios are non-traditional win-desktop hardware environments. (VPC 2007 - where hardware configuration is defined on the fly, and 64 bit Vista) I have succeeded with Vista32 installs -and- activation in the past.

How do you know that this is not a WGA issue? I read -many-of tthe posts in this area before submitting and there appears to be interaction between processes in windows that perform  configuration checks, activation, RE-activation, third party processes, hardware and Vista variants. My problems seem to be similar the ones in this section.

If you could share -how- you know that this is not related to WGA, this would be very helpful. Many times a problem is simplified if one can definitely set aside a whole branch of issues.

Thank You.

PS. I -did- take a look at the link you sugested and found an area dealing with vista activations. However, these questions seemed to deal with the usual 'hassle' issues of reinstalling used codes, upgrade issues, RC1 problems, etc.  I found no posts where (like me) people were 1) opening new boxes of full vista ultimate from a reputable source like Amazon.com, and were 2) unable to get the product key ENTERED. 

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 4:01 AM
  • I have Googled this issue, and there are rumors on the web that some product keys shipped with vista are invalid. One rumor indicated that the non-working keys -would- work for server 2003.

I have found nothing on the microsoft sites to confirm this rumor. If true, this is likely my problem, and possibly that of other folks who have posted in this topic area.

Does anyone know if this is true? Most of the web rumors were for home premium kits, but there was an occasional mention of ultimate.

If true, where does the line form to get a replacement product key?. (I have already spent 3 hours on the phone today with a vista tech who knew -nothing- about this.)

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 4:40 AM
  • I found your post in another thread in this topic area re: the cmd line tool to insert a Product key into a system. Who knows what lurks behind a GUI

if it simply stubbornly refuses to let you type in a code.

This command tool was helpful to me in that the '-ipk flagged' task of this tool was very specific, and its subsequent failure and error message was very specific and delimited.

.... the product key was invalid.

The LAST thing I would have thought was that a brand new box from a reputable retailers would have a series

of numbers that was NOT a vista Ultimate Full install product key.

This is my third copy of vista and I now notice that the font on the defective label is different (and larger) from that on the other two.

I'll buy a fourth copy of vista today and open it in the store to inspect the label.

Is there a way to tell by inspection of the first five digits that a prod key is indeed a vista ultimate key?

I have emailed customer support at amazon, updated my open ticket at microsoft. If the new key goes in immediately, and I don't hear back through the "helpdesk" channels, is this something that should be reported through fraud channels?

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 1:13 PM
  • The rest of the story, and probably the last post.

It's definite. The WIndows Ultimate full install that I purchased from Amazon had a defective product key code.

The Defective box has a manufacturing ID of: 99994-596-583-117 and *000085493-1-480788-SLOU (* = Blurred Character '6' or '8')

(Presumably these are unique but tracable to manufacturing lots.

everything else about the label is identical to the two GOOD copies of vista ultimate full (including artwork.)

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 3:29 PM
  • Hi Ron,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  Were you able to get a refund from Amazon?   Would you be willing to send me your product key for diagnosis by opening a free service request here: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?c1=509&gprid=9860& and post your SR number here.  It takes about a day for the me to be able to see it.  I'll then contact you directly.  Thank you!

Thursday, March 8, 2007 12:55 AM
  • I have entered this email support information and was given a "Confirmation number: 1031081638"

False Product Key in Retail Box as Described in this support thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1307522&SiteID=25&mode=1

I will cross reference the SR number here with the thread, the Vistual Utimate FULL install box had the following product key:

(Product key omitted here)

Vista reports that this key is invalid on the 5th character.

I have received a replacement product key via email from a manager in support, but I want to help you minimize the impact that this problem has on others.

There is no obvious evidence that the box has been tampered with. The only distinguishing characteristic is the product key font - it is not the same as all of my other vista retail boxes.

Thursday, March 8, 2007 2:50 AM
  • PS.

I would be happy to send you the whole box with key label attached if it would be helpful.

Thursday, March 8, 2007 2:56 AM
  • Hi Ron,

Thanks so much for all of your help so far.  The confirmation number is too short to be an SR #.  The SR# would be about this length: SR2061218000756 and it's probably in an automatic e-mail to you from the service request service. Would you look for it there?

Thanks again, Ron!

Thursday, March 8, 2007 8:24 PM
  • this is the only email rvcd so far. If the automated system coughs up anything alse I'll post it.

>

>

CONFIRMATION
    Confirmation number:1031081638

Your question was successfully submitted to Microsoft.

A Microsoft professional will respond to you in e-mail within 1 business day.
    You can also view your response on the Support site when you have signed into Windows Live™ ID.
    Print or save this page or note the confirmation number for your reference.
    Full name: Ron Parker

E-mail address: Ron.Parker@OperationImprovement.com

Product: Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage (All Languages)

Problem: False Product Key in Retail Box as Described in this support thread:

http:...

THIS MAILBOX IS NOT MONITORED - Please do not reply.

Thursday, March 8, 2007 9:19 PM
  • FINALLY GOT IT!

However, from the tone of this canned response, you might have to look in "closed cases"  to find it.  I'm sure their one-call resolution metrics look great.

(Knowledge based canned responses are a pet peeve of mine. It is an act of self-sacrifice to try to tell any company today something it doesn't already know. Better stop here. I'm feeling the urge to blog.)

Good luck!

RE: SRX1031081638ID - False Product Key in Retail Box as Described in this support thread:

Hello Laure,

< I'm not Laure, I'm Ron, by the way>

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Customer Service.

I understand that you are receiving "invalid product key" message while trying to install Windows Vista on your computer. I realize the importance of the issue and look forward to assisting you today.

I would recommend contacting our Technical Support Team who will be in a better position to assist you. You can contact them at: (800) 936 5700, Monday - Friday, 5:00 A.M. - 9:00 P.M. Pacific Time and Saturday - Sunday, 6:00 A.M. - 3:00 P.M. Pacific Time.

I hope your issue is resolved soon and appreciate your patience in this regard. If you have further queries, please write to us.

Thank you for using Microsoft products and services.

Babeesh
    Microsoft Online Customer Service Representative

--- Original Message ---
    Sent : Thursday, March 08, 2007 2:47:36 AM UTC
    To : 126be401-77f3-4922-8011-2a987c51872a
    Subject : False Product Key in Retail Box as Described in this support thread: http://...

Problem Description: False Product Key in Retail Box as Described in this support thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1307522&SiteID=25&mode=1

I will cross reference the SR number here with the thread, the Vistual Utimate FULL install box had the following product key:

<Actual key suppressed by Ron>

Vista reports that this key is invalid on the 5th character.

I have received a replacement product key via email from a manager in support, but I want to help you minimize the impact that this problem has on others.

There is no obvious evidence that the box has been tampered with. The only distinguishing characteristic is the product key font - it is not the same as all of my other vista retail boxes.
    Operating System: Windows Vista
    Friday, March 9, 2007 2:51 PM
  • Hi Ron,

I wasn't able to get your to your service request either because it's not available yet or because it's been closed.  It's a little strange to me that the last two characters are letters and not numbers.  Is the subject the only place in the e-mail where the number is mentioned?  I'm going to have to pick this back up on Monday.  Thanks for sticking with me. 

Saturday, March 10, 2007 2:09 AM
  • I checked and, except for obscuring the product key, the email I posted was ctrl-a/ctrl-v. The subject line was a separate paste.

The ticket is likely closed.

I teach call center operations management that "one-call" resolution means that one call and the customer has immediate peace of mind - they know that, even if the matter is too complex to settle immediately, they will NOT have to "bird dog" the problem. From the CUSTOMER's perspective they know that one call means the matter is resolved, even if the resolution process takes time. The customer may even get call backs and emails advising them of milestones on the resolution process, but these customer contacts simply reinforce the impression that "If I have a problem at XYZ co, all I have to do is make one phone call, and they take care of it."

The service industry has the notion (validated by confirming that "everyone else does it this way" - e.g. "benchmarks" and "best practices") that one call resolution means FROM THE AGENTS PERSPECTIVE a ticket or case is opened, processed & closed with one touch....kind of like the old 1970's "efficiency expert" advice to only handle a piece of paper once.

I have done some joint projects with "Big 5" consultants, and even their so-called call center experts just don't get it. Many times their notion of cost reduction is really a cost TRANSFER. The internal operation is "more efficient", but the inefficiencies are transferred to the customer as a hidden cost of doing business with XYZ Co.. To an Engineering audience, we would describe this as sub-optimization. (Optimization  of a micro-verse without regard for the whole.)

Ok. EOBA (End of Blog Attack.)

Saturday, March 10, 2007 5:13 AM