Backup service causing server to lose network connection RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have written about my server losing connection to the network overnight.  Last night I disabled all attempts by the server to backup the PC's. Lo and behold the server stayed connected to the network.

Today, I have tried to do manual backups on a couple of machines, one at a time.  Each time the backup fails and the server becomes unreachable. 

Something happens during the backup that cuses the server to lose its connection to the network. 

I reinstalled the connector software but that did not work. 

I reported a message in the server logs about a master browser conflict that seemed to appear at the time the server disconnects (reference http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2533224&SiteID=50).  I powered down the machine that was challenging the server (not sure I really understand what that means ), thinking that perhaps it was a cause, now I beleive it to be an effect of what is happening on the server before it dissapears.

My spirit is about broken here.  I don't know what else to do.

I have put many, many hours into trying to figure this out and am no closer to getting this box working. 

I think the best, most reliable use that I have found so far for WHS, is as a closet warmer. 

Paul

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 11:33 PM

Answers

• Hello all...

Well, super great news here.  I bought an Intel NIC card from Newegg and stuck it in my custom built WHS.  Then I changed the onboard NIC to a different IP, disabled it, loaded the drivers for the Intel and switched the cable.  I started up all my machines and logged in the two wireless laptops. I rebooted the WHS and sat back to watch, beer in hand...

BOOM, it immediately backed up 5 of my computers on my LAN without a hitch !!! 3 XP Pro, a Vista and a dual boot. Life is good...

I have been beating on it for a few days and it seems to be just great.  I suspect that was the problem all along.  To those who suggested the hardware change, thanks a ton.  To anyone having these kinds of problems, try this.  It solved all my problems.  It wasn't the Netgear switch or the D-Link router, or WHS itself.  It was that blasted NIC on my Gigabyte MB.  In all fairness, I have four systems built with Gigabyte motherboards including my high end gaming system and I use the built in NIC on all of them with no problems.  I guess WHS is fussy about the network interface and the bandwidth or something.  Perhaps as someone suggested, the bandwidth or CPU utilization is too much for an onboard NIC to deal with.  Or maybe it's just the handshake between the motherboard and WHS.  Don't know... I would be interested in hearing what the Microsoft WHS team thinks and what Gigabyte thinks.  But Intel bailed me out with their NIC.  I thought spending $50 was a lot when you can get them for $15.  But I'm not complaining now... Thx Intel.   Anyway, I'm good here...

Regards, Jim

Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:33 PM

All replies

• I'm encountering this same problem. Backups gets to various stages (my record is 91%), then the server looses all connectivity. I wondered if it had something to do with a large volume of data hitting the server at once? I encountered the same problem while transferring a 9Gb file into shared folders (so the transfer speeds would have been consistently high). At the time I discounted it as a dodgy network card, but it doesn't look that way now! Serious bug alert!
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:04 PM
  • The master browser message is not significant.

In a workgroup, one computer maintains a list of other computers in the group. This is the master list that the other PCs check when they're looking to see who's on the network. The machine that holds the list is the Browse Master or Master Browser.

When another computer connects to the network, it challenges the other computers to see who is more "entitled" to hold the list, and an "election" is forced to decide the issue. The one with the most points wins, and WHS would win because it's a real server (basically). Unfortunately unlike the real world you never get to know the result Smile

When WHS wakes up a PC to do the backup, this will happen.

You can tell PCs to not try to do this, but that means if the server isn't on for any reason, the machines won't have the list to refer to.

What is the NIC in your WHS? Is it using the best drivers?
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 11:28 PM
  • I have been having the same problem with my WHS.  And this is after PP1.  I have seven machines on my WHS network and it backs up any given one when it feels like it and other times (more than not) it doesn't !!  I am getting the problem noted above that when doing a backup or sometimes copying large amounts of files to the WHS, it "loses" its connection to the network.  None of the other systems can see the WHS and it itself can't see the Inet or the local LAN.  If I reboot, all is well again.  I can browse the Inet and see the other machines again.  This also seems to happen when I try and copy a large amount of data (20-20 gigs, etc.) to the server from one of my machines. 

I can stream music and photos to my PS3 in the living room.  All seems to be fine unless you "tax" the WHS.  I can't seem to put my finger on anything specific when it loses its connectivity.  And when this happens, a reboot is the only thing that will fix it ( a "repair" in control panel fails).  I'm a computer tech and I'm very knowledgable with systems so this is not some Nubee screwing things up.  I have given it a fixed IP of 192.168.0.50 to work with my Dlink DIR 655 router.

My WHS is pretty generic.  A gigabyte P35-DS3R MB with a Q6700 processor and 4 gigs of Corsair RAM.  Also a big power supply and 4 Hitachi 1Tb drives.  The MB was bought in June so I don't think that the Realtek drives could be that old... Very vanilla.  I run all the desktop systems and the WHS into a Netgear 24 port gigabyte switch and that connects to the Dlink router.  The laptops wirelessly connect to the system and both seem to back up OK most of the time (one is XP Pro and the other is Vista Ultimate). You would think the wireless would be more prone to fail, but it doesn't anywhere near as often.  The dual-boot (XP/Vista) gaming system fails almost 100% of the time but really any of them can fail the backup and cause the WHS to lose its connectivity...

This problem is really driving me nuts and I am close to just chucking the whole idea and just using external USB drives.  I love the concept of WHS, but the everyday use of it has been a real headache.

I'm up for trying a Gbyte PCI NIC card if anyone thinks that might help.  Got a recommendation for one? Got any other ideas???  I really need some help or I'm going to have to chuck the whole thing. I provide end user support to small businesses and homes and I had counted on recommending WHS to them.  But that is all on hold for now.  If I can't get mine to work right, I can't tell them to buy one.

Regards, Jim

Thursday, August 7, 2008 7:33 PM
  • Hi,

It doesn't sound good!

I use the D-link 655, with no problems, as do some others on here. Have you tried taking the Netgear switch out of the equation for a couple of the Clients & Server, just using the D-Link, to see if that changes anything.

If that doesn't, then substituting a PCI NIC would isolate that as a point of congestion as well, these (NIC's) do appear to be one of the most common reasons for drop-outs and failure of backups.

When choosing a card, the main thing is checking that Server 2003 drivers are available. My servers use Broadcom and have had no problems. I see from a quick search that someone else with similar problems used a Dlink PCIe NIC with a Marvell chipset which cured it for them.

Colin

Thursday, August 7, 2008 8:15 PM
  •  ImJim wrote:

....] power supply and 4 Hitachi 1Tb drives.  The MB was bought in June so I don't think that the Realtek drives could be that old... Very vanilla.  I run all the desktop systems and the WHS into a Netgear 24 port gigabyte switch and that connects to the Dlink router. [...

Jim,

To me this defenitely sound like a network problem. As all client suffer from it, personally I would start looking for the problem at the server or maybe the router/switch. Some ideas to try:

• Do you have any additional PCI cards installed on the server?
      If so, watch out for PCI sharing conflicts between the PCI card and the on-board NIC (i.e try relocating the PCI to another slot)
    • Check the Motherboard or NIC manuafacturer for the latest drivers  (make sure you are using the drivers for Windows 2003)
    • Try replacing the onboard NIC.
    • Check your cabling.
    • Try connectiong only the server and one client only to the D-Link to see if the problem persists.
    • Try connectiong only the server and one client only to the Switch to see if the problem persists.

Theo.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 9:15 PM
  • OK, thanks guys for the input.  I will be gone for the weekend, but when back, I'm gonna buy the NICs suggested.  I think this is definitely a network congestion problem and maybe it's the MB NIC connection.  But I will try all the combinations you suggested and get back to you soon.  I can turn off all systems but one and the WHS and it still does it.  Doesn't matter which one I turn on, it happens.  I can have 1, 2, 3 or 4 clients turned on or off in any combination and the loss of network to WHS will occur at least 1/2 the time. I am using fairly new cables and I have switched cables around and also changed ports on the switch all to no avail... I can do anything I want on or off the WHS as long as I don't push too much data and it seems to work fine.  But backups or large data transfers cause the problem.  I stream music all day to the PS3 with no problems...

I'll play around next weekend and give you more feedback...

Jim

Friday, August 8, 2008 3:30 AM
  • I've been experiencing the same issue ever since I replaced my old home server (running on a recycled desktop PC) to a new home server (with shiny new hardware).  Nothing else on the network changed, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the new hardware:

Gigabyte
    GA-M78SM-S2H (nForce 730a/8200 chipset)
    Athlon 64 X2 low power CPU
    4 gigs of RAM
    2 x 750 GB Samsung drives
    2 x 320 GB Seagate drives

The server stops responding to pings when the backup reaches the "Reorganizing data on the server" stage when backing up any PC on my network.  Nothing short of a reboot will get the server back onto the network.  I even went as far as reinstalling Vista on my desktop PC, to no effect.

It could be that I have the WHQL Windows XP nforce drivers installed - nvidia claims that they don't have Server 2003 drivers.

FWIW, I have my server and desktop plugged into a Netgear gig eth unmanaged switch (GS108).  I'll see if I can take it out of the equation and see what happens.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 12:57 PM
  • Hello all...

Well, super great news here.  I bought an Intel NIC card from Newegg and stuck it in my custom built WHS.  Then I changed the onboard NIC to a different IP, disabled it, loaded the drivers for the Intel and switched the cable.  I started up all my machines and logged in the two wireless laptops. I rebooted the WHS and sat back to watch, beer in hand...

BOOM, it immediately backed up 5 of my computers on my LAN without a hitch !!! 3 XP Pro, a Vista and a dual boot. Life is good...

I have been beating on it for a few days and it seems to be just great.  I suspect that was the problem all along.  To those who suggested the hardware change, thanks a ton.  To anyone having these kinds of problems, try this.  It solved all my problems.  It wasn't the Netgear switch or the D-Link router, or WHS itself.  It was that blasted NIC on my Gigabyte MB.  In all fairness, I have four systems built with Gigabyte motherboards including my high end gaming system and I use the built in NIC on all of them with no problems.  I guess WHS is fussy about the network interface and the bandwidth or something.  Perhaps as someone suggested, the bandwidth or CPU utilization is too much for an onboard NIC to deal with.  Or maybe it's just the handshake between the motherboard and WHS.  Don't know... I would be interested in hearing what the Microsoft WHS team thinks and what Gigabyte thinks.  But Intel bailed me out with their NIC.  I thought spending $50 was a lot when you can get them for $15.  But I'm not complaining now... Thx Intel.   Anyway, I'm good here...

Regards, Jim

Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:33 PM
  • I had the exact same issue:

I found that after backing up a machine, automatically or manually, my windows home server would lose it's network connection without throwing any error messages in the event log.  Only rebooting would bring it back.

I added a d-link network card that came with win2003 drivers to and disabled the onboard nic on my M3N78-VM motherboard and the behavior stopped, for now.
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 5:31 PM
  • I am experiencing this problem today 4/21/2010 with WHS.  I purchased an intel server NIC adpater (Intel PRO/1000 PT Server Adapter) and installed its Windows Server 2003 drivers. I disabled the 2 interated NVidia Gigabit NIC adapter on my Foxconn Motherboard Winfast N570SM2AA w/2gb RAM. I've applied all WHS updates including Power Pack 3.  Still I lose connection to WHS machine.  I only get it back by rebooting. It drops again within 24 hours of the last reboot.   Can some please help me resolve this?

Thursday, April 22, 2010 4:59 AM
  • Have you tried using a different network switch/router?
    --
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 12:36 PM
  • Disable "Jumbo Frame" in your NIC settings.  Having it set to anything other than "Disable" was causing the exact same issue with my WHS and client backups.  Not sure what component or machine doesn't like Jumbo Frames, didn't care to research it any further since the setting didn't seem to have any impact on my network I/O.
    Monday, May 31, 2010 10:06 PM