Service slow resently RRS feed

• Question

• For the last few days the performance of remote desktop connection in Mesh has been reduced to maybe a 10th or less of its normal performance. What can have caused this?
    It is now so slow it is not usable.

I connect to my Vista SP2 at home from my XP SP3 at work.
    Other internet performance is normal at both locations.
    Both PCs have been restarted.
    I can not think of any other updates apart from normal security stuff from Windows update that has been installed lately.

Apart from actions from the network owner at work, can you think of any other reason?

/Bob
    Friday, October 23, 2009 10:53 AM

Answers

• I found the reason. Someone else in my family had used a proxy at the home PC that was still active. After setting it to our normal configuration it returned to normal performance.

Thank you Stephen.

/Bob
    • Marked as answer by RBylund Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:49 PM
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:49 PM

All replies

• Has anything else changed on either PC? It can be caused by congestion, resources on either PC, a router misbehaving for traffic on certain ports, etc.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, October 23, 2009 2:35 PM
  • I found the reason. Someone else in my family had used a proxy at the home PC that was still active. After setting it to our normal configuration it returned to normal performance.

Thank you Stephen.

/Bob
    • Marked as answer by RBylund Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:49 PM
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:49 PM
  • Glad that you found the cause and thanks for reporting back.
    -steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 2:16 AM