Can't backup on Windows 7: "The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently installed a Home Server (HP EX485), and am using it to backup 2 computers. One of which, Vista x64, works just fine. The other, Win 7 x64 RC, fails on automatic or manual backups with an error "The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup".

Looking in the event log on the client machine, I see the following entry:

<msg>
    Backup set 11 on SERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeException: VSS Operation timed out ---> System.TimeoutException: VSS Operation timed out
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.Wait(IVssAsync va)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.CreateShadowVolume(VolumeInfo[] volumes)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.CreateShadowVolume(VolumeInfo[] volumes)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet..ctor(VolumeInfo[] volumes)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()
    </msg>

And on the server:
    <msg>
    Received abort message from CLIENT with reason 5.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    </msg>

The behavior when doing a manual backup is consistent with this timeout error, the Backup Status dialog on the client sits at "A backup is starting" and 0% for a while before failing with the following message:

"The backup failed because your computer was unable to create a volume snapshot. To resolve this problem, try running "chkdsk /f /r" on each of your hard drives and restart your computer."

I've read the following threads:
    - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/b474b820-31fc-49a6-9072-955cdf603540/
    - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/33b7a025-9d3e-4407-88ba-9bfdbba863a6/
    - http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/6e448c8b-0542-46ba-b2cf-099334d9ddb0/
    - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/2844d100-e4c2-43f7-b48e-6be8b5b08b50/
    - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/ffd6264c-5fe3-42e8-94e6-77e25f1b6821/
    - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/ea8ae956-6d52-4951-ac9e-3f98bd71fd18/

And I've tried the following:
    - chkdsk /f /r on all drives
    - checking available disk space, and there is plenty available on the client machine (67Gb free of 140Gb total) and on the Home Server
    - the vssadmin steps described here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/ea8ae956-6d52-4951-ac9e-3f98bd71fd18 and here: http://blogs.technet.com/sdoakes/archive/2006/02/03/418722.aspx

"vssadmin list writers" returns no errors

Re-registering yielded the following errors:

<errors>
    [Window Title]
    RegSvr32

[Content]
    The module "swprv.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070715.

For more information about this problem, search online using the error code as a search term.

[OK]

[Window Title]
    RegSvr32

[Content]
    The module "eventcls.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070715.

For more information about this problem, search online using the error code as a search term.

[OK]

[Window Title]
    RegSvr32

[Content]
    The module "eventcls.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070715.

[OK]

[Window Title]
    RegSvr32

[Content]
    The module "vssui.dll" failed to load.

Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.

The specified module could not be found.

[OK]

[Window Title]
    RegSvr32

[Content]
    The module "msxml.dll" failed to load.

Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.

[OK]

[Window Title]
    RegSvr32

[Content]
    The module "msxml4.dll" failed to load.

[OK]
    </errors>

A couple of other things to note:
    - I do have MozyHome installed on this machine. I've seen some other threads where people had Mozy installed and wondered if that might be the issue. I tried disabling Mozy's Windows service and then trying to backup, but that didn't work.
    - server is fully patched
    - clients are fully patched
    - failing client has 2 drives, each with a single partition. One of the drives is set NOT to backup, the system drive/partition is set to backup. Note that I've also tried having both drives/partitions set to backup, but that also fails.

Does anyone know how I can get my backups working? Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Cheers,
    Brenton
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 1:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I recently installed a Home Server (HP EX485), and am using it to backup 2 computers. One of which, Vista x64, works just fine. The other, Win 7 x64 RC, fails on automatic or manual backups with an error "The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup".

Looking in the event log on the client machine, I see the following entry:

<msg>
    Backup set 11 on SERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeException: VSS Operation timed out ---> System.TimeoutException: VSS Operation timed out
    </msg>

And on the server:
    <msg>
    Received abort message from CLIENT with reason 5.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    </msg>

The behavior when doing a manual backup is consistent with this timeout error, the Backup Status dialog on the client sits at "A backup is starting" and 0% for a while before failing with the following message:

"The backup failed because your computer was unable to create a volume snapshot. To resolve this problem, try running "chkdsk /f /r" on each of your hard drives and restart your computer."

I've read the following threads:
    - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/b474b820-31fc-49a6-9072-955cdf603540/
    - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/33b7a025-9d3e-4407-88ba-9bfdbba863a6/
    - http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/6e448c8b-0542-46ba-b2cf-099334d9ddb0/
    - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/2844d100-e4c2-43f7-b48e-6be8b5b08b50/
    - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/ffd6264c-5fe3-42e8-94e6-77e25f1b6821/
    - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/ea8ae956-6d52-4951-ac9e-3f98bd71fd18/

And I've tried the following:
    - chkdsk /f /r on all drives
    - checking available disk space, and there is plenty available on the client machine (67Gb free of 140Gb total) and on the Home Server
    - the vssadmin steps described here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/ea8ae956-6d52-4951-ac9e-3f98bd71fd18 and here: http://blogs.technet.com/sdoakes/archive/2006/02/03/418722.aspx

"vssadmin list writers" returns no errors

Re-registering yielded the following errors:

<errors>
    [Window Title]
    RegSvr32

[Content]
    The module "swprv.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070715.

[OK]

[Window Title]
    RegSvr32

[Content]

[OK]

[Window Title]
    RegSvr32

[Content]

[OK]

[Window Title]
    RegSvr32

[Content]
    The module "vssui.dll" failed to load.

[OK]

[Window Title]
    RegSvr32

[Content]
    The module "msxml.dll" failed to load.

[OK]

[Window Title]
    RegSvr32

[Content]
    The module "msxml4.dll" failed to load.

[OK]
    </errors>

A couple of other things to note:
    - I do have MozyHome installed on this machine. I've seen some other threads where people had Mozy installed and wondered if that might be the issue. I tried disabling Mozy's Windows service and then trying to backup, but that didn't work.
    - server is fully patched
    - clients are fully patched
    - failing client has 2 drives, each with a single partition. One of the drives is set NOT to backup, the system drive/partition is set to backup. Note that I've also tried having both drives/partitions set to backup, but that also fails.

Does anyone know how I can get my backups working? Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Cheers,
    Brenton

Does it work if you switch the drives to be backed up (in other words, don't try to backup the OS drive, just the data drive)?  Have you ever installed any cloning app such as Ghost, True Image, or something similar on your client?
    • Proposed as answer by dafsafgsafgsaf Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:45 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by BrentonW Friday, June 19, 2009 3:32 AM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 3:42 AM
  • @kariya21 - Interesting. Based on your suggestion I tried something a little different and removed the Win7 "System Reserved" partition from the backup set and instead only backed up the C: partition on the primary drive, and the backup worked just fine.

Looks like there is a problem backing up the Win 7 System Reserved partition. Is this a known issue? Anyone else experiencing this? Is there any work around?

To answer you other question, no I haven't installed any other cloning solution on the client.

Cheers,
    Brenton
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 7:31 AM
  • Hi Brenton,
    there is no generic problem with backing up Windows 7 - at least my 64 Bit test system backs up fine.
    Although I have not a separate named "System Reserved" partition on my machine (AFAIK this will only be created if installing on a blank disk), so it may well be the specifics of that volume, which do not allow to back it up. And unfortunately, once backup of one volume is failed, WHS backup does not resume and attempt to backup the next volume.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 10:46 AM
  • @kariya21 - Interesting. Based on your suggestion I tried something a little different and removed the Win7 "System Reserved" partition from the backup set and instead only backed up the C: partition on the primary drive, and the backup worked just fine.

Looks like there is a problem backing up the Win 7 System Reserved partition. Is this a known issue? Anyone else experiencing this? Is there any work around?

To answer you other question, no I haven't installed any other cloning solution on the client.

Cheers,
    Brenton
    The "System Reserved" partition (used for a system recovery environment) is, I believe, too small for VSS to function on it, so Windows Home Server is unable to back it up. Until you explicitly configure backup for a home computer, Windows Home Server will attempt to back up all partitions, thus your problem.

In other words, there's no "problem" backing up that partition, the backup tool is functioning as designed.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 3:06 PM
  • If what you're saying is correct and this isn't a problem isolated to my machine I'd call that a pretty serious bug - by default, backup on Win7 is broken , since WHS automatically selects all partitions on all drives.

Is there an ETA to get this fixed? Simply excluding the partition isn't the long term solution - users won't have a complete image of their machines. Post recovery, would the system even work without that partition? If it did, it would be missing whatever function that partition provides, which I think it the ability to access "recovery mode".

Cheers,
    Brenton
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:06 PM
  • If what you're saying is correct and this isn't a problem isolated to my machine I'd call that a pretty serious bug - by default, backup on Win7 is broken , since WHS automatically selects all partitions on all drives.

Is there an ETA to get this fixed? Simply excluding the partition isn't the long term solution - users won't have a complete image of their machines. Post recovery, would the system even work without that partition? If it did, it would be missing whatever function that partition provides, which I think it the ability to access "recovery mode".

Cheers,
    Brenton

Windows 7 is RC. Best thing to do would be to file WHS improvement suggestion / feature request on Windows Home Server Connect Feedback site.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 8:11 PM
  • Please submit a bug on Connect. Include logs from your server and the Windows 7 client with the problem, collected using the Windows Home Server toolkit.

However, realize that Windows Home Server requires Volume Shadowcopy Services on the client computer in order to be able to back up a partition. It can't tell the difference between a Windows 7 system partition and a partition that has problems with VSS for other reasons, so it seems reasonable to me that the answer will be that on a computer with a partition that is valid, but which Windows Home Server can't back up for any reason, you must configure backups to exclude that partition. In other words, your answer may be "functioning as designed".

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 8:14 PM
  • The "System Reserved" partition (used for a system recovery environment) is, I believe, too small for VSS to function on it, so Windows Home Server is unable to back it up. Until you explicitly configure backup for a home computer, Windows Home Server will attempt to back up all partitions, thus your problem.

In other words, there's no "problem" backing up that partition, the backup tool is functioning as designed.

That's not true, Ken.  WHS backed up my install of 7 RC x64 (including the System Reserved partition).  It shows up in the Console (above the C partition on the list) and I can even restore data from it.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 12:50 AM

Cheers,
    Brenton

As I noted to Ken, it does work with the System Reserved partition.  Therefore, there is something wrong with your backup/hardware, not WHS.  Did you do a clean install of 7 RC x64?  Are you sure it's RC (Build 7100)?
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 12:54 AM
  • Yes, this is a clean install of Win 7 RC (7100) x64.

Given that, how do I debug what's happening and get this working?

Cheers,
    Brenton
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 2:51 AM
  • Yes, this is a clean install of Win 7 RC (7100) x64.

Given that, how do I debug what's happening and get this working?

Cheers,
    Brenton

Have you installed any apps on your client?  FYI, I agree with Ken in that you should file a bug report on Connect (especially before 7 goes RTM).
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 3:51 PM
  • Hello.... 

My 'System Reserved' partition is also backing up properly.   

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 4:37 PM
  • I have a problem that I think is related to the original problem.

I have two machines - desktop and notebook. Both are dual booting Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows 7 Ultimate (Vista on the notebook is x32, all other x64.) Each machine has a shared partition as well as the two OS partitions. Each bootable OS is configured as a machine on the WHS (HP 470 with 3 extra 1TB drives, LOTS of free space).

The notebook can back up all partitions from either OS. The desktop can back up all partitions from Vista, but not 7. From 7, ONLY the 7 OS partition can be backed up. Adding any other partition results in the "The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup" error.

There is, of course, plenty of disk space on all partitions and on the server. chkdsk has no problem with any partition from either Windows 7 or Vista Ultimate.

At first, this problem didn't bother me much because I mostly booted the desktop in to Vista and a backup from Vista capture all partitions. But now that I want to mostly boot in to 7, I find myself having to boot in to Vista to backup the shared partition.

Obviously, there's something "unusual" about the desktop... It is running RAID 0 (Intel ICH10R with a Core i7 CPU) on a pair of 1.5TB drives segmented in to 2 1.5TB volumes with an extra 1.5TB drive "on the side". All partitions are on the first 1.5TB volume. The remaining volume and drive are completely unused.

Is there something I could have done to the partitions to make them unlockable by Windows 7?

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 12:17 AM
  • A scenario like this with a RAID0 volume backed up will bring you in trouble if it comes to an restore. Users in the forums did experience this in the past, since they either could not add the RAID drivers to the Vista PE recovery environment to detect the volumes properly or had to restore to a single disk which left the restored OS in an unbootable stage.
    I had myself dual boot configurations for a while, but never seen any related problems with backing up from either OS.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 1:28 PM
  • Olaf,
        While your caution is appreciated, it doesn't explain the problem I'm seeing. (Also, I didn't need any special drivers to install either Windows 7 in a new partition or Windows Vista originally, so I doubt that WinPE during a restore will need them either. I believe, in fact, that when I upgraded the machine to RAID 0 that I did a restore from the backup image, but I can't quite swear to that it was so long ago. That restore was complicated by the 32/64-bit WinPE problem as well...)

On the desktop machine, there are 4 partitions, all visible to both Vista and Windows 7 (drive letters vary, of course, between the two OSs), all in the same 1.5TB RAID 0 'volume' on the same pair of 1.5TB drives. The remaining 1.5TB is unallocated disk space. There is a 3rd 1.5TB drive in the machine, also completely unallocated disk space.

I misspoke earlier, however. I CAN backup 3 of the 4 partitions from Windows 7. The 4th partition can be backed up from Vista, but not Windows 7.
        So what's different about the 4th partition?

It is a logical partition, where the other 3 are primary. It's name is "OS Selector" (with a space), none of the other drives has a space in the name. It's drive letter is Y from both Vista and 7. It is 'tiny' at 39 MB total capacity, with 17 MB free (reported by Disk Management in the Computer Management Administrative Tool). The other drives are all approximately 500GB with at least 300GB free. It is at the end of Disk 0.

Again, this 4th partition CAN be backed up from Windows Vista Ultimate x64. It fails 100% of the time from Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with "The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup." I have done chkdsk /f /r with no problems found or fixed. The entire backup fails (including on the other 3 drives) if drive Y is included in the backup set, regardless of how many other drives are in the set. Exclude drive Y and backups are as reliable as ever.

This partition does not exist on my notebook machine for the simple reason that there's not enough hard drive space on that machine to warrant even thinking about booting more than 2 OSs. And though my desktop machine does, I have not yet added any other OSs.

Thanks,
    Richard
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:41 PM
  • Can you check the application event log on the computer/OS that's having trouble backing up? See if you can find any events related to VSS from around the time that the backup failed.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:59 PM
  • Ken,
        I'm going to Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application. There I see an error level event with source Home Server at the time the last backup gave up. It says:

Backup set 43 on HPSERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeException: VSS Operation timed out ---> System.TimeoutException: VSS Operation timed out

Which sounds pretty much like "The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup."

Anticipating your next question, the output from vssadmin list writers is below.

Without a reboot in between, I can reconfigure the backup to include or exclude the problem partition and a manual backup will fail or succeed respectively.

C:\Windows\system32>vssadmin list writers
    vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

Writer name: 'Task Scheduler Writer'
       Writer Id: {d61d61c8-d73a-4eee-8cdd-f6f9786b7124}
       Writer Instance Id: {1bddd48e-5052-49db-9b07-b96f96727e6b}
       State: [1] Stable
       Last error: No error

Writer name: 'VSS Metadata Store Writer'
       Writer Id: {75dfb225-e2e4-4d39-9ac9-ffaff65ddf06}
       Writer Instance Id: {088e7a7d-09a8-4cc6-a609-ad90e75ddc93}

Writer name: 'Performance Counters Writer'
       Writer Id: {0bada1de-01a9-4625-8278-69e735f39dd2}
       Writer Instance Id: {f0086dda-9efc-47c5-8eb6-a944c3d09381}

Writer name: 'System Writer'
       Writer Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
       Writer Instance Id: {5f7fa772-9516-4b73-b69b-81175e43eb40}

Writer name: 'ASR Writer'
       Writer Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
       Writer Instance Id: {62339f4e-5c8a-413d-bae5-da27c99a8574}

Writer name: 'MSSearch Service Writer'
       Writer Id: {cd3f2362-8bef-46c7-9181-d62844cdc0b2}
       Writer Instance Id: {571ddbdf-a3c2-40bc-8f67-63dab540cc4e}

Writer name: 'Shadow Copy Optimization Writer'
       Writer Id: {4dc3bdd4-ab48-4d07-adb0-3bee2926fd7f}
       Writer Instance Id: {23d2af9a-7c98-4639-a485-3ca1b415b8db}

Writer name: 'Registry Writer'
       Writer Id: {afbab4a2-367d-4d15-a586-71dbb18f8485}
       Writer Instance Id: {a9e79b99-bfde-465f-8890-41a4bb333720}

Writer name: 'WMI Writer'
       Writer Id: {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0}
       Writer Instance Id: {1e19c065-6c85-40f2-858e-5d7aa255e161}

Writer name: 'COM+ REGDB Writer'
       Writer Id: {542da469-d3e1-473c-9f4f-7847f01fc64f}
       Writer Instance Id: {18c58a76-6909-4b3a-aaaf-d6730d0fd747}

Writer name: 'BITS Writer'
       Writer Id: {4969d978-be47-48b0-b100-f328f07ac1e0}
       Writer Instance Id: {fa000117-182b-4339-b582-57ee25bc3585}

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:06 PM
  • Helpful :), but my next question is whether there are any events in the application event log with a source of VSS?

I'll admit that I'm suspicious of the size of the partition, and the amount of free space on it. For Windows Server 2008, partitions under 500 MB in size require 50 MB free space for VSS to function. Your whole partition is smaller than that...
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:30 PM
  • Ken,
        Yes, there is the "standard" VSS information event that occurs 3 minutes after every backup finishes, successful or not:

The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout.

I realize the partition is small, but that begs the question about why Vista can back it up, but Windows 7 cannot. Both are 64-bit editions.

Richard
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:42 PM
  • VSS does not handle very small partitions well, we have seen this problem also with the 100 MB volume created by Windows 7 setup during the PP3 Beta.
    Maybe the volume is locked only while Windows 7 is running, or something in VSS changed in Windows 7 and requires more space than Vista, or there is less free space on that partition during the runtime of Win7 than is during the runtime of Vista.
    As long as you have both OS still running, you could exclude this volume from Backup in Windows 7 and rely on the one you have from Vista.
    Olaf
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:59 AM
  • I too am having issues with the backup of Windows 7, but only recently.

The original backup configuration include the System Reserved and the Primary OS drive.  They both have been backing up just fine since 09/17/2009.  The first failure do the VSS was 11/24/2009, after my PP3 update to WHS.  The first event that I noticed was:

Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and name Coordinator cannot be started. [0x80070005, Access is denied.]

and of course we have seen this one from the HomeServer application source:

Backup set 40 on HOMESERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeException: VSS Operation timed out ---> System.TimeoutException: VSS Operation timed out

I just now unselected the System Reserved partition from the configuration and the backup is in progress, but only the C drive.

So, there some questions I have:
    - Why would the System Reserved Partition work in the past, but not now?
    - Did PP3 change anything regarding this issue?
    - Is there really a permission issue now?
    - What happens if I need to do a full system restore, but the 100MB System Reserved partition is not part of that restore?
    - Should the System Reserved partition be managed in a different way?

I look forward to coming to a conclusion on this matter.  Thank you for your responses.

Chris

Otherwise known as "Chrome Dome"
    Friday, December 4, 2009 3:20 AM
  • Interisting, I am having the same problem on my 64bit laptop but not my 32bit netbook. Both running Win 7 retail release versions.

Edit.
    I just did a configure backup for my 32 bit netbook and it showed 28.13mb used of the 100mb System Reserved partition. I then did the same thing for my 64bit laptop and it shows that 77.42mb out of the 100mb are used.

Why the huge diffirence? I do have quite a few more apps in the 64bit machine. Is a record of what is installed kept there? Is there a way to expand the 100mb partition?

Why can't comuters just work?? :)
    • Edited by Patrick Young Friday, December 18, 2009 1:29 AM added information
    Friday, December 18, 2009 1:17 AM