OCS Integration AND Exchange 2003-2007 Migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I am migrating to Exchange 2007 SP1.  I have the server set up with all necessary roles, including UM.  In order to test the setup, I am configuring the OCS-UM link, but I have some questions on the process:

1) Is it necessary to set the dialplan to Secured/Seure (instead of unsecured)?    One of the blogs I read claimed that if you set a dialplan to secured, it is impossible to use the ClientAccess role on the same Exchange server.  Is that correct? 

See bottom lines at:  http://ucspot.com/blogs/ocs/archive/2008/03/11/exchange-um-connected-to-a-pbx.aspx

I would expect I would be able to enable the certificate also for UM, like in the post:

http://forums.microsoft.com/unifiedcommunications/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1802302&SiteID=57

=> enable-exchangecertificate -services "um,iis,smtp,pop" -thumbrint (the thumbprint of the new cert)

Currently I only activated my own certificate for iis,smtp and pop.  I guess um needs to be added as well?

I would like to use only one Exchange server, combining all roles and integrating with OCS on an other machine.

2) The OC_Voip_Guide claims on page 74:

Before performing the following step, make sure that all Enterprise Voice users have been configured with an Exchange 2007 or SP1 mailbox. For information about configuring users with a mailbox, see Exchange Server 2007 product documentation at http://r.office.microsoft.com/r/rlidOCS?clid=1033&p1=ExcProdDoc.

When specifying a mailbox policy for each dial plan that you created in step 1, select either the default policy or one that you have created.

I can migrate all users that are currently enabled for Enterprise Voice (but this also depends on the answer to question 1), but what about old users on Exchange 2003.  Will I be able to migrate their mailboxes to Exchange 2007, and then enable them for full OCS and UM funcionality?

Thanks for your help and suggestions,

Wim

Friday, March 14, 2008 11:27 AM

Answers

• 1. I have Exchange UM running on a server with all Exchange roles installed and the Dial Plan is set to Secured.

I cannot think of a scenario where Exchange UM is not supported on CAS or HUB

You need Exchange UM to use a certificate that has the FQDN in the certificate

2. You can do all of that, mind that users on Exchange 2003 do not have Exchange UM

You can enable them for Enterprise Voice and when you migrate them to Exchange 2007, you can then configure them for UM.

Johan

Saturday, March 15, 2008 12:17 AM

All replies

• 1. I have Exchange UM running on a server with all Exchange roles installed and the Dial Plan is set to Secured.

I cannot think of a scenario where Exchange UM is not supported on CAS or HUB

You need Exchange UM to use a certificate that has the FQDN in the certificate

2. You can do all of that, mind that users on Exchange 2003 do not have Exchange UM

You can enable them for Enterprise Voice and when you migrate them to Exchange 2007, you can then configure them for UM.

Johan

Saturday, March 15, 2008 12:17 AM
  • Dear Johan,

Yesterday I finalised most of my UM deployment.   Regarding my questions above:

1) UM and CAS both work on my single Exchange server without a problem.  I believe I was lucky to define the correct certificate using the FQDN of the server (not some alias) and enabling it for IIS, IMAP, POP and UM at the very start of my config.

2)  I ended up moving all my OCS users to Exchange 2007 first, then activating UM.  All other users are still on Exchange 2003, and will be migrated later.

So, this thread can be closed.  :-)

Thanks for your help!

Best Regards

Wim
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:00 AM
  • The ocspot article mentioned earlier is old and outdated exchange sp1 fixed the issue with secured sip and CAS role.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 2:02 AM