Which assemblies do I reference in device project? RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Sync Framework 2.0.  I'm looking to sync between a device app with sql compact and a sql server.  I'm confused as to which assemblies to reference in my device app project in visual studio.  Can someone explain the differences between the assemblies in the folders below?  Are the latter two for desktop applications only?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Synchronization Services\ADO.NET\v1.0

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Microsoft Sync Framework\v1.0\Runtime\ADO.NET\V2.0\x86

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Microsoft Sync Framework\2.0\Runtime\ADO.NET\V3.0\x86

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• the assemblies for Devices would be under C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Synchronization Services\ADO.NET\v1.0\Devices
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 10:57 PM
  • I don't have the Devices sub-folder.  Any idea why? 

I'm installing on 64-bit Windows 7 using SyncSDK-v2.0-x64-ENU.msi.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the 2.0 sdk which didn't have an impact on these folders from what I could see.  I didn't uninstall v1 because it says it is needed by Visual Studio 2010 in Add/Remove Programs.  What I have are the folders and files below which appear to match what a colleague had in his Devices folder.

Similar Folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Synchronization Services\ADO.NET\v1.0
    • C:\Program Files\Microsoft Synchronization Services\ADO.NET\v1.0

Each have the following 3 assemblies which are the same in both locations (same version and size, just different dates):

• Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.dll
    • Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.Server.dll
    • Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.SqlServerCe.dll
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:40 PM
  • Maybe another way to ask the question: Did the assemblies to reference in device projects change at all with the 2.0 version?  Or did only the server side and desktop references change with 2.0?
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:42 PM
  • I still don't think the folders I point to above are right because i get the following error when deploying with them referenced which makes me think they are for the desktop:

Deployment and/or registration failed with error: 0x8973190e. Error writing file '%csidl_program_files%\fieldpurchasingassistant\system.dll'. Error 0x80070070: There is not enough space on the disk.

See post related to that issue:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxcompact/thread/7e564b7e-6e42-4cee-a861-9094d620b896/

Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:04 PM
  • Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:04 PM
  • Thanks.  That was it.

The last piece of the puzzle was installing Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 Service Pack 1 for Windows Mobile and upgrading the project to the 3.5 framework (this is an existing project).

Can't say it's "working" yet, but it builds and deploys and throws the errors I expect which is progress! :)

Thanks

Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:49 PM