User not appearing in Venue RRS feed

• Question

• Lots of info following ...

I installed Venue Service Manager on an IIS machine and setup an internal Multicast IP Address (239.0.0.1)

I installed CXP on my laptop and configured it to view the Venue service setup above (modified the line in the CXPClient.exe.config to point to the web server above).

I installed CXP on a tablet PC and also configured it to view the Venue service setup above.

When I load CXP on either machine I see both a local venue and the venue service setup above. When I join the venue setup above, everything works as expected (on both machines). Video and audio are being sent/received. Looking on the Venue Service Manager (after executing the GetParticipants command) I see both clients. On each client's CXP panel I can see the other client as having joined the venue.

Here is the problem.

Another user on a different subnet has loaded CXP with the same configurations that I am using (venue setup above).

When CXP is loaded the user sees both the local venue for his machine and the venue I setup above. I used the GetParticipants command and show the user as a member of the appropriate venue. However, when he joins the venue he only sees himself as having joined and does not see either of the other clients and the other clients do not see him.

Both the subnet that I am on and the subnet that the user is on are internal to my company, but they are different subnets. Any suggestions?

Thursday, January 22, 2009 7:04 PM

Answers

• Conference XP is based on multicast.  It is very common to find that network administrators have disabled multicast between subnets.  This sounds like what you are experiencing.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 12:20 AM

All replies

• Here's an additional update. It looks like the user having the problem is on a different V-LAN. What does CXP do to communicate across V-LAN's?

Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:45 PM
  • Conference XP is based on multicast.  It is very common to find that network administrators have disabled multicast between subnets.  This sounds like what you are experiencing.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 12:20 AM
  • I had a suspicion that was the case. Thanks for your help.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 6:24 PM