Upgrade CRM 2011 to CRM 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• CRM 2013 does not support our current on-premise environment in which CRM 2011 is installed. Therefore, we are creating a completely new system for CRM 2013. Reading through posts and the IG it seems the recommended way is to export the CRM 2011 DBs, install CRM 2013 and then import the DBs. Below are the steps that the IG mentions. My questions are:

* I believe when I install CRM 2013 (step 2) a new organization is created. That means both MSCRM_CONFIG and [OrgName]_MSCRM already exist. How would I then restore the DBs that I backed up from CRM 2011?

* Does this import also import all the solutions I have in CRM 2011? I was thinking of installing CRM 2013, installing the solutions and then just import the data. Is this possible? If it is possible does MS recommend against doing this? What disadvantages/advantages would this approach have

1.     Establish a new instance of SQL Server. You can use an existing instance but it must not be the same instance where the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 configuration database is located.
    2.     Run Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server 2013 Setup on a new 64-bit computer that does not already have Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server 2011 installed.
    3.     Back up the production Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 configuration and organization databases and restore them to the new instance of SQL Server.
    4.     Run the Import Organization Wizard to import one or more Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 organizations to the newly installed Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 system. During the import, the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 organization database will be upgraded.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:51 PM

Answers

• hi

On your CRM 2013 SQL instance. Restore the extracted 2011 db.

Now go to Deployment Manager on CRM 2013 application server, and on Organization Section, Select Import Organization.

Here, you will see your restored db (organization). Provide necessary inputs to setup and it will create a new tenant for you with all supported customizations from CRM 2011 upgraded to CRM 2013.

------------------

Other approach which you mentioned. Importing customization and then importing data. You will have to either do some custom data migration procedures which are time consuming.

import organization is simplest and quickest way to upgrade your crm 2011 Implementation (You have option to do Inplace upgrade, but as you said, your server does not support CRM 2013).

Yes, Import organization upgrades everything to CRM 2013. Your complete CRM 2011 implementation (supported ones).

I hope it answers your query.

• Marked as answer by hfaun Thursday, February 6, 2014 11:23 PM
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 5:11 PM

All replies

• hi

On your CRM 2013 SQL instance. Restore the extracted 2011 db.

Now go to Deployment Manager on CRM 2013 application server, and on Organization Section, Select Import Organization.

Here, you will see your restored db (organization). Provide necessary inputs to setup and it will create a new tenant for you with all supported customizations from CRM 2011 upgraded to CRM 2013.

------------------

Other approach which you mentioned. Importing customization and then importing data. You will have to either do some custom data migration procedures which are time consuming.

import organization is simplest and quickest way to upgrade your crm 2011 Implementation (You have option to do Inplace upgrade, but as you said, your server does not support CRM 2013).

Yes, Import organization upgrades everything to CRM 2013. Your complete CRM 2011 implementation (supported ones).

I hope it answers your query.

• Marked as answer by hfaun Thursday, February 6, 2014 11:23 PM
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 5:11 PM
  • Hi,

I'd also add you should run the legacy feature check tool and custom code validation tool in your CRM2011 environments first and fix and items that will either prevent upgrade (legacy feature check) or give you form script errors after upgrading (custom code validation tool). See here http://blogs.msdn.com/b/crmindia/archive/2013/09/20/legacy-feature-check-and-custom-code-validation-tool-demos-for-upgrade-to-crm-2013.aspx

Rob

MCTS. GAP Consulting Ltd. Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011 & 2013

Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:08 PM
  • I am actually working on this as I write this. Got more scripting issues than anticipated, especially from Sonoma Partners as I use their editable grid. It looks like I might have to uninstall it and look for a different solution for editable grids as MS still does not allow that. Thanks for the note.
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:16 PM
  • Depends what your grids are editing, there's limited grid editing in CRM2013 where you add line items for opportunities, quotes, orders, and invoices and a little on some pre-canned opportunity team(connection) grids too.

I guess your current situation illustrates the pitfalls of unsupported customisations, even if they are supplied by companies with high profiles.

MCTS. GAP Consulting Ltd. Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011 & 2013

Thursday, February 6, 2014 11:01 PM
  • Thanks. Quite true. Actually, XrmServiceToolkit also has some issues and there is no update so I will have to fix it myself. jQuery also has issues but I am hopeful they have an update.
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 11:22 PM