Not ISP Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, I just got a new laptop for Christmas (a Compaq). Tried for the 500 th time to validate Windows XP on my old Dell desktop, got the same error about internet connection problem. Unhooked desktop and hooked laptop to same connection. Laptop validated with no problem. It may not be Microsoft's fault but it isn't my ISP either.
    Wednesday, December 27, 2006 5:31 PM

Answers

• dlhan:

I have to wonder if you have changed any network settings or Internet Options on your Dell PC? Is there anyway to compare the two PC's (Compaq versus Dell factory settings)? If there is, it may help us troubleshoot any DNS issues from factory installations.

I'm terribly sorry for the issues you're having, but troubleshooting networking issues (whether ISP or computer settings, etc) is out of the scope of the forum. Validation only requires connection to download.microsoft.com and other *.microsoft.com domain servers.

-phil

Thursday, December 28, 2006 8:25 AM

All replies

• Dlhan,

I understand that you have been working this issue for at least two months now.

Have you considered backing up your data and doing a clean installation of XP using the Dell-supplied OS Reinstallation CD, or if no CD, the Dell PC Restore by Symantec utility that you access at bootup by pressing CTRL and F11?

Sometimes, ya just gotta start from scratch

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 5:43 PM
  • Yes, I guess that is the answer, "start from scratch", or just download anything that requires validation with my laptop and send it to my desktop. Thanks for the help.
    Wednesday, December 27, 2006 7:51 PM
  • dlhan:

I have to wonder if you have changed any network settings or Internet Options on your Dell PC? Is there anyway to compare the two PC's (Compaq versus Dell factory settings)? If there is, it may help us troubleshoot any DNS issues from factory installations.

I'm terribly sorry for the issues you're having, but troubleshooting networking issues (whether ISP or computer settings, etc) is out of the scope of the forum. Validation only requires connection to download.microsoft.com and other *.microsoft.com domain servers.

-phil

Thursday, December 28, 2006 8:25 AM