New Windows Home Server User RRS feed

• Question

• I ordered the trial discs a couple days ago, the delivery came in about 3 days. Very fast! (Thanks MS).

My System:

MSI 7312 Mobo

2GB Patriot 240-pin DDR2 RAM

160GB SATA HDD x 2

160GB IDE HDD

30GB SCSI HDD X 2

XFX Nvidia GeForce 6200 512MB DDR3 AGP X8

VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet NIC

Belkin G 4 Port Wireless Router

Comcast ISP w/ 6MB/s Down - 3MB/s Up - 21MB/s down with PowerBoost

I like the way it intergrated into Windows.

My client machines are:

1 x Dell Inspirion dual booting Windows 7 and Vista Ultimate.

1 x Compaq Laptop running Vista Basic.

2 x HP 6735s Laptops. 1 running Seven, 1 running Vista Business.

1 x 80GB PS3 with 2.60FW

1 x 60GB Xbox 360 with NXE

I have only two machines that I am researching being able to access the stuff. 1 is my DirecTV HD-DVR box and the other is a Palm T|X. Next month will be a iPhone 3G 16GB.

I have copied all my music and photo to the server. My PS3 has no problem getting the photos and music, but it only plays certain movie types (not WHS's fault PS3 doesn't support alot of codecs).

So far, so good. Just wanted to introduce myself, and if anyone had some tips as a novice WHS user. Also I LOVE being able to access my stuff from any computer with remote access. I just have one question tho, now that I opened up remote access & uPnP will someone be able to jump into my system?

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:20 PM

Answers

• uPnP is inherently insecure, if you can open the ports in your router/firewall yourself, then you should disable it. IIS has had issues in the past but it should be OK now, as long as you have good passwords and keep up with security patches. That may not stop people from TRYING to break in or run an exploit but people will always try.
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:55 PM

All replies

• uPnP is inherently insecure, if you can open the ports in your router/firewall yourself, then you should disable it. IIS has had issues in the past but it should be OK now, as long as you have good passwords and keep up with security patches. That may not stop people from TRYING to break in or run an exploit but people will always try.
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:55 PM
  • Well for my wireless there is the highest one on my router which is WPA2 I believe. No one could figure out the password, I also live in a place where (sort of country in Central PA) no one has the tech, or the know how to hack.

What I want to know is, if I gave someone remote access to READ ONLY photos, music, and movies, would they be able to do anything else. No access to PCs, no access to public, not even access to the accounts own shared folder.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:34 PM
  • They should only have access to those features you explictly grant access to. So if you don't grant access to the Computers page in Remote Access, they won't even be able to see it. If you don't grant access to some shares, they won't be able to access those shares though the site. And so on.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:58 PM
  • Very good. That is exactly what I have done. I would like to share some of my media with my parents in NJ. Also when I am at school I would like to be able to access some stuff. I also like that I could remotely upload to the server, that really helps if I need to transfer while I am at school.
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:49 AM