vista and its licence RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have read that the new versions of Vista, due early 2007, are only allowed to be installed x many times (forget the actual number) to the one machine before it will no longer accept the product key. Is this true?

I generally back up my data and then reformat and repartition my disk every 6 months or so, to tidy up the registry, and to reassign space for various operating systems (currently have partitions for xp pro, xp pro x64, and vista rc1 64 bit) At other times I have dabbled with solaris intel edition, and various flavours of linux and free bsd.

Is there a limit on how many times vista can be reinstalled, and are changes to partition sizes going to make vista think I'm installing to a different machine.

When I update the pc (thinking of going 8 core at the end of next year which would need a new motherboard and 2 cpus) will vista allow that?

• Changed type Carl-S Tuesday, October 7, 2008 3:02 PM
    Friday, November 10, 2006 1:08 PM

Answers

• The final EULA for Windows Vista (retail version) permits a user to install or reinstall Vista as many times as you desire, as long as it is installed on the same computer.

License Terms for Software Licensed from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/

Friday, November 10, 2006 3:53 PM

All replies

• The final EULA for Windows Vista (retail version) permits a user to install or reinstall Vista as many times as you desire, as long as it is installed on the same computer.

License Terms for Software Licensed from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/

Friday, November 10, 2006 3:53 PM
  • Thank you for the response.

If the hard disks stay but the motherboard (and probably memory) and processor(s) are replaced, does it still qualify as "the same machine"

cheers

voigtstr

Friday, November 10, 2006 9:17 PM
  • A "retail version" of Windows Vista will regard any hardward upgrades as the same computer.
    Friday, November 10, 2006 11:18 PM
  • This is a dark day for us geeks that build our own computers.  The clause in the EULA reads: "The first user of the software may reassign the license to another device one time."  What this means is that every other time I build a new computer for myself, I'll be plunking down $400 (for ultimate) just to keep an OS running.

Upgrade too much hardware, too many times, and Microsoft will disable your legally purchased version of Windows Vista

This may just make me disregard all the benefits of DirectX 10 so that I don't have to shell out this money all the time.

The sad part is, us home-system builders make up such a small part of Microsoft's customer base that their bottom line will not even be phased by a boycott.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 12:34 AM
  • Or do they look at the MAC number on the network card??  The only reason I think of this (poor souls who are not connected to the net) is that my upgrade stopped when it said the network card drivers were not up-to-date (Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate Upgrade).
    Friday, September 14, 2007 11:48 PM