Who or what is "Personal Antivirus" and why won't it go away? RRS feed

• Question

• I keep getting a popup message from some entity named "Personal Antivirus" that wants me to run a scan for viruses. It also claims I've got oodles of them that it has already located. Also, a balloon keeps popping every 60 seconds or so that says, "Critical System Warning!" and something about a Trojan.Win32.Agent.azsy virus & Windows PE EXE.

My issue is this: I already have Windows Live OneCare and it scans for viruses for me on a regular basis. I went to the Windows Live OneCare site and ran a virus/spyware scan and it says it removed the virus. For some reason, I can't get this damn popup from "Personal Antivirus" to go away and it has placed an icon on the taskbar that can't be removed. I think this is the actual virus trying to get me to open it.

What should I do? Please advise.
    Sincerely,
    cwheeler2008
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please contact support for help with removing malware One Care is unable to remove. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:57 PM
  • I have the same problem. Do I have to clean my hard disk or have another way to clean this trozan. Please advice.
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 3:58 PM
  • If you are using One Care I suggest contacting support for help with malware removal. If you are not using One Care you are off topic in this forum but you can get help here - https://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 4:08 PM
  • Personal Antivirus is a fake rogue spyware program. it is a scam that asks you to pay for virus removal. do not pay/buypersonal antivirus because it is a virus itself and it dos`nt function like antivirus programs. you can remove personal antivirus yourself. eiether manually or by using an auto removal tool. for manual removal guide andd auto removal tool, heres the post http://www.darfuns.com/spyware-removal/personal-antivirus-fake-spyware/
    Monday, August 31, 2009 6:58 AM
  • Personal Antivirus is a misleading security application. Remove it from your computer ASAP. Use MalwareButyes anti-malware.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 10:20 AM
  • comgeek and ignys, thank you for your posts. Please note, however, that this is not a general malware removal help forum. OneCare users should contact OneCare support for malware that was missed by OneCare or cannot be removed successfully by OneCare.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 11:28 AM
  • are you still having problems or did you get rid of PAV?

Friday, September 4, 2009 2:10 PM
  • Hi

I had the same problem. I don't know whether you've sorted it now but I'll post my help anyway for future users. I tried deleting it but it said I didn't have permission. All you have to do is right click on the 'PVA' icon so that it brings up the properties box. Find 'run this programme as administrator' and click the little box so that it's ticked. Now you can simply right click the PVA icon and delete it :-)
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:59 PM