Folder Organization for Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I performed a back up for my PC and when I viewed the files they were all sorted in zip files called part 1, part 2, etc...  When you open this up you have to drill into 2 or 3 sub folders to get to the files.  Is this really how the back up is configured?  It seems highly unparactical to find anything unless this is stricltly an "in case of emergency" place for the files.  For example, I like to be able to move music and video files from one PC to another.  It seems that retreiving the files from the back up folder would not be practical.  Maybe I just need to save the "my Music" file direct to the external drive for easy reference.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 1:57 PM

Answers

• Most backup programs store files in a compressed format and are not efficient tools for moving files from computer to computer. I use several backup programs but I do as you suggest, which is to copy certain folders directly to an external drive.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 2:55 PM
  • As Jim noted, a backup is a backup, not a copy. It is meant for exactly what you noted - "in case of emergency."

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    • Marked as answer by Gyk47 Friday, June 19, 2009 1:46 AM
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:14 PM

All replies

• Most backup programs store files in a compressed format and are not efficient tools for moving files from computer to computer. I use several backup programs but I do as you suggest, which is to copy certain folders directly to an external drive.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 2:55 PM
  • As Jim noted, a backup is a backup, not a copy. It is meant for exactly what you noted - "in case of emergency."

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    • Marked as answer by Gyk47 Friday, June 19, 2009 1:46 AM
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:14 PM